ToySmokes

Not to much military loot

I didn't make this post because I got killed a lot by mil grade guys. I just want DayZ to feel more like there are civilians surviving. Not the army. Because I don't think that if DayZ happened in real life, there wouldn't be a lot of folks having uniforms and so on. You would probably not even see a uniform unless it's on a zombie or just a dead guy. So that's why I made this topic :)

DayZ's lore is tied in with Armed Assault's lore [debatable with the new towns but eh] as ArmA partially takes place in a war in Chernarus, so that's why there are military bases everywhere and military loot everywhere. Assuming, of course, that canon continues.

And even if it doesn't, it's entirely reasonable to think that if a zombie outbreak did happen, then armed forces would swarm in to try and contain it.

then armed forces would swarm in to try and contain it.

Only to get overwhelmed by hordes of infected therefore fleeing, taking the what supplies and survivors they can in helicopters and vehicles leaving the military bases barren only to find out that some of the survivors they brought with them were infected themselves and attacked them in mid flight causing a fatal crash somewhere way out in the ocean.  The remainder went off the radar hundreds of kilometers outside of Chernarus never to be heard of again.

^ this one of those things that never made sense to me. iirc Dayz virus isn't airborne, so I can't imagine how an infected horde can swarm over modern military force... sure it might overwhelm the local forces, but eventually a perimeter will be established and there is nothing a brainless horde can do against artillery, planes, bullets etc..

Edited by Mor

^ this one of those things that never made sense to me. iirc Dayz virus isn't airborne, so can't imagine how an infected horde can swarm over modern military force... sure it might overwhelm the local forces, but eventually a perimeter will be established and there is nothing a brainless horde can do against artillery, planes, bullets etc..

According to your logic the infected shouldn't exist because how else was the virus spread into the infected in Chernarus?

^ simple: patient zero, element of surprise, initial panic and ill equipped disorganized security forces due to civil war that torn the country apart.. - its plausible with 28 days later Hollywood sparkles.

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

Limiting the variety and the number of military weapons, clothing and items is going to be vital if the devs want to truly differentiate dayz from arma.

Explain to me how limiting the variety is vital?

The amount that spawns should be lower, yes, but the potential of what can spawn should go up. It's not like military spawns are displacing other loot, because they only spawn at, you guessed it; military spawns.

Plus, if you have a larger variety of stuff, you're less likely to see a specific instance of military gear so often, thus decreasing the overall number of specific items. It seems to me like a larger variety with lower spawn rates would be the best thing, because you'd have a lot of mixing of both civilian and military gear, which is what would often happen post-apoc (per say combining the durability and utility of a military vest and ballistic helmet with the comfort and low-bearing of some regular clothes.)

DayZ won't play anything like ArmA whether there is one AR or 100 ARs, because ArmA focuses on groups of already supplied units in generally combined arms assaults on forces proportionate. DayZ has far fewer players per server and even less organization within them. Add that to the fact that everything in DayZ needs to be scavenged or salvaged, and massive scale battles end up a rarity.

(Not to mention there are and probably will not be any tanks/APCs, heavily-armed helicopters or planes, long-ranged artillery, laser-guided bombs, and all the bells and whistles of ArmA. Not to say that none of this will happen, and I'm pretty sure armed vehicles will be a thing, but it definitely won't be finding a BMP-2 with 2,000 rounds of HEDP, likely more along the lines of an old pickup truck with a PK that you have to find and mount and link the ammunition for individually, of which you will only have limited quantities.)

^ simple: patient zero, element of surprise, initial panic and ill equipped disorganized security forces due to civil war that torn the country apart.. - its plausible with 28 days later Hollywood sparkles.

This. And yeah, if the zombies were able to stand up to enough bullets because they didn't feel them, I think they would be a lot more effective at taking down anything in their way.

Only to get overwhelmed by hordes of infected therefore fleeing, taking the what supplies and survivors they can in helicopters and vehicles leaving the military bases barren

Not entirely barren of course, they still left some stuff.

But yeah, that's how I always play it out in my head too. That's what's great about DayZ: you can have 'headcanon' about why you're on the beach [personally I think I was a survivor of one of those downed copters or someone immune to the virus] and technically not be wrong, because nothing is set in concrete.