Sign in to follow this  
doublewar

Option to nerf PvP?

I like how the people that argue the current PvP is best use the game's dedication to realism as their greatest argument.

guys, morphine CURES broken bones. You regain blood by gorging yourself with food, which somehow hasnt gone rotten. theres a fricken zombie apocalypse, and, most importantly, you're playing a video game.

now with that settled, I'd say that an option to nerf PvP on your server should be implemented. It's getting to the point where people just shoot anyone on sight. easy, rewarding, and safer than to show yourself to a potential bandit. you crawl out a building and a sniper gets you from a distant hill. Walk into a town and get shot without ever even seeing your killer. It's less of a zombie survival game, more of a 1-shot-kill scoreless camper-filled deathmatch with zombies.

I get this is more of a simulation, and 1-shot-kills is realistic and some people prefer it that way. But it doesnt work as intended when there's no penalty for murder, unless the game can also simulate IRL mental trauma in players, and make them consider the morality of their actions.

It'd be nice to at least have a server OPTION to nerf PvP (PVP: Fun or Realistic). or even an easier-to-implement option to make your server completely cooperative (Friendly Fire: Off or On)?

It's worth noting that many server admins have tried nerfing the PvP on their servers. Rocket promptly banned the servers. I doubt he's going to make it an option.

Murder works as intended, the target is DEAD and you wanted them dead. Pretty simple.

Also, canned food lasts a freaking LONG time. And it's not like we've been living underground for 200 years. Also, cooked meat lasts a lot longer than many people seem to think. I'm not talking about salted, which lasts even longer.

And imagine this, that morphine doesn't magically fix your leg, you set it, which is extremely painful, and you couldn't even MOVE that leg without that kind of strong pain reliever. Next time you break a leg or arm, try grabbing it and wiggling it around.

If you don't want to be shot, jump to a low population server. If you want 'fun' PvP, then go shoot at people. Get a group, attack a clan, it's all up to YOU.

And last, I agree that food shouldn't magically give you more blood. Make it HARDER! Unless you have full hunger, you don't gain blood from eating food, and instead of it all being at once it is over time (and non-stacking!).

But it doesnt work as intended when there's no penalty for murder' date=' unless the game can also simulate IRL mental trauma in players, and make them consider the morality of their actions.

[/quote']

1) I disagree and think it does work as intended and I think the devs would agree.

2) Who is to say which character is effected by mental trauma of murder and which ones aren't. You can't honestly think that everyone IRL reacts the same to a kill. There are many many many people that are not effected at all by it.

3) Seriously, it is part of the game. Find a way to deal with it and do it. Don't like people sitting on a hill overlooking a town? Sneak up on them and kill them. Don't like some one camping out the airfield? Get a group of guys together and kill them. The only way to change the bandit/sniper is bring the fight to them, not complain on the MB because that won't change anything and imo attracts MORE people to that side of the game.

"Murder works as intended, the target is DEAD and you wanted them dead. Pretty simple."

that wasnt my point, but in a way proved my point.

"Also, canned food lasts a freaking LONG time."

now you're just trying to disprove the small details I said to make it seem like I dont know what I'm talking about. Hey man, I got an opinion. deal with it.

"And imagine this, that morphine doesn't magically fix your leg, you set it, which is extremely painful, and you couldn't even MOVE that leg without that kind of strong pain reliever."

what? alright, so this leg, which is broken according to the in-game graphic, suddenly functions completely normally, even allowing you to run, when the pain is relieved? I dont think that's how it works. But again, what is the point of trying to discredit 4 words I said?

"If you don't want to be shot, jump to a low population server."

that doesnt guarantee a nerfed PvP experience.

"And last, I agree that food shouldn't magically give you more blood. Make it HARDER!"

alright now, go troll somewhere else -.-

DevilDog, your opinion was duly noted. I'm still gonna suggest that a nerfed PvP option is added for servers, for the people more interested in cooperative game play and scavenging.

"not complain on the MB because that won't change anything"

I'm on the suggestions board, making a suggestion.

I dont see why people on the forums are so strongly against this. I'm not suggesting that the devs nerf PvP across all servers, just an option to nerf just like we have an option to disable 3rd person, and crosshairs.

the issue is the people that often complain are the ones who just want to run into places to loot and horde the gear for themselves. Because people don't want to lose their M107's or their FN Fal night scopes or their Nightvision. And the best chance they have at dieing is by someone shooting them then by a horde of zombies.

I have been killed once by a camper at the NW airfield. I have killed three campers at it. Why?, because I don't go skipping into the middle of the airfield, expected to just get a free run into the hangers or the barracks, to grab my loot. I actually spend about an hour or so, scoping out the place. Checking the runway. And more often then not you actually come up behind these campers. If your too impatient for it then I suggest finding another game to spend time on it. Because Dayz is by far not a 'run and gun' game like BF3 and COD.

Take the PVP away and the game turns into Diablo 3 with Zombies. The Zombies aren't that intelligent. They aren't smart, they are easy to predict and easy to avoid and very very easy to kill (1 AK + 5 clips = 100 dead zombies before I run out of ammo) they aren't worthy of the challenge. The PVP element is what makes you scared shitless when you hear that gunfire coming from behind you.

And I love losing all my gear, as I have done before and no doubt it will happen again soon. Because it means you need to be more cautious and to not get careless.

The game is not about survival it is about what you do to survive. If you are somewhat competent at this game you can have all the tools to make food and water infinitely within the first hour of any play session after that human interaction either friendly or hostile is all the game has left to experience (nerfing) that or making it less of a focus would ruin this game as it is all there is to do outside of the initial rush to collect gear.

PvP does not need a nerf.

Loot spawns are still being tweaked and many other mechanics are in the works that could resolve these issues without going to the Nerf.

It's alpha and we shouldn't make judgements on the state of DayZ now as if it's Beta or finished. What we gave right now a rough outline with chapter titles and more detail outlines - if this was a book. It has acways to go. Rocket is going to be testing new ideas and systems and Alpha and Beta could be so different like night and day.

learn to play and you won't have a problem with PvP.

you think thats a troll response, but if you stick with the game and learn from your mistakes, you will see its not.

Wow I can't believe some of the responses here. Anyone would of thought he was suggesting remove PVP altogether. I love PVP myself but I do believe in choice and that's all he is asking for, a choice for him to play in a more cooperative environment.

Regardless of if YOU think he's "noob" or YOU think PVP is the main element of the game doesn't actually mean it is. People have different tastes and play the game for different reasons.

I personally don't think there would be ANY harm in giving server hosts the option to nerf PVP to cater for a specific playing style as long as players in those servers can't connect with the same character to standard ones.

This community has too many self righteous fan boys who are trying to live the the shadow of the "devs dream" and it makes me sick to my back teeth sometimes.

"People have different tastes and play the game for different reasons"

You are asking for our reasons of play to be toned to YOUR level, taking what WE want or like and changing it to fit how YOU want it. Of course we will come off as defensive.

How would you like it if you bought a house, but I wanted you to tear it down? Or you bought a red car, but the color red hurts my eyes, so I want you to paint it blue?

Sounds unreasonable when you have another 200 (random number) people demanding similar things (green car, pink car, orange car, NO CAR BECAUSE IT POLLUTES ENVIRONMENT!).

Player-to-Player experience is more than half the game, and taking it out, or toning it down, ruins the game. Like building a castle without walls, or with a picket fence instead. You have a different taste? Then find a different game.

I dont see why people on the forums are so strongly against this. I'm not suggesting that the devs nerf PvP across all servers' date=' just an option to nerf just like we have an option to disable 3rd person, and crosshairs.

[/quote']

Maybe because there are 100 posts of people saying the same thing over and over who put zero effort into actually trying to play the game for what it is. You could have easily just replied to one of these threads and not made a new topic, bumping actual suggestions for the game that are useful and helpful to the game in its current state.

People are tired of reading the same crap. You are trying to nerf a core mechanic of the game.

And yes, joining a server with only 25 people max does "nerf" the PvP experience. There are less people on the server that can shoot you. But you have actually nullified your own point. No matter what you do to try and "nerf" the PvP aspect of the game, it is still going to happen. So instead of complaining about it, play with people you know and stay together. Just because you walk up to a complete stranger and say "friendly" over voice, doesn't mean that they are. It is your own fault if you get shot, in any scenario you can think of, in a tactical FPS.

I love these 'nerf pvp' threads.

Angry kids who won't learn to play the game want it made easier.

if you nerfed PvP this game would not be the same at all. there's a million zombie killing games why would people play this? the dynamic between other players, the tension, and the atmosphere. everything. it's all largely thanks to the great, no, the REVOLUTIONARY PvP. Anyone who says nerf the PvP doesn't understand what makes this game great.

and' date=' most importantly, you're playing a video game.[/quote']

dammit, all my realism gone just like that. lol

It'd be nice to at least have a server OPTION to nerf PvP (PVP: Fun or Realistic). or even an easier-to-implement option to make your server completely cooperative (Friendly Fire: Off or On)?

I agree, PvP is just out of control on all severs and it is just taking away form the people who are just trying to actually survive, like the game is intended

I agree, PvP is just out of control on all severs and it is just taking away form the people who are just trying to actually survive, like the game is intended

Seriously? And what are you trying to survive from? Retarded zombies, who you can bug up if you're in town very easy, or just shoot in the face if you're far from town?

Or surviving hunger and thirst in game where there is a can of soda or beans, knife, matches and animals pretty much everywhere? Don't get me wrong i love these survival aspects but without other players to worry about they would just be too easy.

Game would be first of all boring, and very very easy without PvP. I had thrill in hiding and running from zombies in 1.6 and first few days of playing. After that you realize that there is no point, now the only reason i sneak past zombies and avoid shooting them is not to give out my position to players. Cause without it you only have a bit harder zombie shooter.

IMO game would be even more interesting if there where more players and fewer but very hardcore zombies, so you're actually afraid of aggroing them since they could easily kill, or infect you etc. This would maybe get people to gather into groups more since it would be very likely that you would encounter another group.

Yeah one more thing, there are "friendly" servers i played on couple of them, and people really don't shoot at each other, I had a "mexican stand off" with one guy but after 30secs of none shooting we just went our ways... I think sever was called League of Extraordinary Gentleman or something like that.

people are way too touchy around here. I'm not asking that the game be reshaped the way I demand it. I'm just asking for an OPTION to please both sides of this argument.

"learn to play and you won't have a problem with PvP."

I'm just speaking for all those people that want to have an option to play a more cooperative game mode. I know how to play the game. I just want an option to play it differently.

"You are asking for our reasons of play to be toned to YOUR level, taking what WE want or like and changing it to fit how YOU want it."

you're not a developer of this mod. try to live with that fact. You talk like this game belongs to you, and your opinion is the only one that matters. Some people want to play the game your way, some want to play another way. We're asking for a way to do BOTH. You can still play the game with your insane PvP.

"How would you like it if you bought a house, but I wanted you to tear it down?"

what the hell? what does that have to do with a nerfed-PvP server option on dayz? are you saying you bought dayz from its developers, and I'm demanding you delete it? this metaphor just makes you sound right, without relating to the topic in any way. the fact that you resorted to that cheap argument because you couldnt come up with a real argument is sad.

"Player-to-Player experience is more than half the game, and taking it out, or toning it down, ruins the game."

no one asked to take it out. no one asked to tone down the PvP across the entire game. are you on the wrong thread, man? we're asking for an OPTION to have this. You can still play on a normal server, with your normal PvP, while we play on a nerfed one. this is like complaining to terraria for making minecraft 2D, when you want to play it in 3D. why complain when you CAN STILL play it 3D?

"Like building a castle without walls, or with a picket fence instead."

according to that metaphor, we're suggesting the game be made worse. well that's an opinion, and my opinion differs from yours. Like I said, I'm asking for an OPTION. I'm not suggesting that PvP be nerfed across the entire game, like everyone else.

"You have a different taste? Then find a different game."

still think your opinion is the only one that matters, and that you made this mod yourself? get off your high horse, man. You're not as important as you think.

"People are tired of reading the same crap. You are trying to nerf a core mechanic of the game."

no, I'm not. that "core mechanic" will still exist just as it is. I'm suggesting that a server option be given to make it possible for another version of this mechanic to coexist.

"Angry kids who won't learn to play the game want it made easier."

I wasnt having a problem with the PvP. But I saw that a lot of people get fed up with it, and I decided not to invite some of my friends to play with me because I knew they wouldnt like the overpowered PvP. I made my suggestion because I wanted an option to play the game centered around surviving from zombies and scavenging for resources, to give my casual gaming friends a more enjoyable experience. I dont see what the downside to that is, how does it affect you if I play on a different server as you?

"if you nerfed PvP this game would not be the same at all. there's a million zombie killing games why would people play this?"

Again, not saying to remove the PvP across the entire game. you can have your PvP still, it'll work just fine. If you didnt even read the suggestion, then your opinion isnt relevant here. There are people who would enjoy this game more if the PvP was nerfed. The other zombie killing games are nothing like this, This is a much more enjoyable experience than left 4 dead or resident evil. I dont see why giving another server option would suddenly transform this game into a zombie game clone, are you saying that after all their hard work, the only thing the devs accomplished was PvP with too much damage? Thats the only thing that makes this mod unique and enjoyable? you should play the game more.

"Anyone who says nerf the PvP doesn't understand what makes this game great."

And you have the ability to reads the minds of over 300,000 people? some people like the PvP. some people enjoy scavenging, exploring, and playing cooperatively more. there's people who have different opinions as you. I'm suggesting we please both sides. deal with it.

"I agree, PvP is just out of control on all severs and it is just taking away form the people who are just trying to actually survive, like the game is intended"

PvP is completely out of control, yeah, but it seems thats what the dev's intended. I'd like it if the devs also realized that theres a playerbase that isnt up for the 1-shot-kills PvP that limits exploration and the cooperative experience. There are people that love the scavenging and exploring aspect of the game, and just want to play without being killed at random, might a well have a game mechanic that will randomly kill you at some point while playing without any fault of yours. Some people like that, and thats cool. Keep your PvP, we have our PvP, everyone is happy. The people here treat this game like it is their creation, I'd like to know how much time and effort they put into creating it.

"Game would be first of all boring"

That's not a fact, its an opinion. many people prefer to fight zombies, scavenge, explore, and team up with survivors rather than be killed without a fair fight. Besides, you can still play with normal PvP according to my suggestion.

In the end, all of you are just being unreasonable. You are too stubborn and self-centered to even consider other people's opinions. If giving a nerfed PvP option will shut everyone up, give some people a more enjoyable and cooperative experience, and still let you play just like before, then why the hell not give that option? It's not like I'm saying "screw you!" to your way of playing, even though thats exactly what you do to us. I'm asking that we KEEP your PvP, you'd know that if you actually read the suggestion. No one's arguments gave any real downside to this, they just said why they wouldnt play on a server with nerfed PvP. Like I'm forcing them to or something.

The option exists already.

If you want PvP, play DayZ.

If you don't, don't play DayZ.

Voila! Options. And nobody even had to do any extra work.

DayZ without PvP makes as much sense as DayZ without zombies. Just stop. Please?

If you want PvP' date=' play DayZ.

DayZ without PvP makes as much sense as DayZ without zombies. Just stop. Please?

[/quote']

DayZ isn't all about PvP, the primary focus should be surviving the zombies, but as it stands, the players are a bigger threat than zombies.

PvP is fun.

However, there should be some feature to tell between a "kind" survivor and a murderer.

The game should motivate co-op experience with random players as it also does PvP, right now, the only way to obtain this "legit co-op experience" is by searching for buddies on the forums or coming in contact with people you already know. This is called metagaming, and it is not interesting, the game should support this kind of co-op within the game itself. THAT's when it will be successful.

You will then have your PvP bandit groups with bad karma, survivor groups with good karma, and solo survivors that don't enjoy teaming up, now doesn't that sound interesting. All without the use of metagaming.

Rocket obviously knows this, that's why he tested out the bandit skins and heart beating, but it is still not finished yet.

Shoot on sight mode is what most people adapt now, and it is just some brainless PvP, everybody knows this game has a much greater potential than just being a death match zone.

If you want PvP' date=' play DayZ.

[/quote']

if you dont like suggestions, then quit trolling the suggestions board -.- Some people prefer to explore, scavenge, and have only friendly survivors, or a chance at running from survivors. Who are you to say what the game is all about? People play how they want to play. Thats why a suggestions board exists.

it's not like I made no sense, I've backed up everything I said thoroughly and put plenty of thought into this, this isnt some kind of troll thread. I've also been very reasonable with my suggestion, rather than suggest "PvP SHOULD BE NERFED GAME-WIDE!" like everyone else.

learn how to survive instead. much easier then nerfing PvP in a war simulator.

DayZ isn't all about PvP' date=' the primary focus should be surviving the zombies, but as it stands, the players are a bigger threat than zombies.

[/quote']

It is not all about PvP, but zombies will not be the primary focus of DayZ. rocket has made that very clear. Players are meant to be the primary threat. That is his vision for the game and so far he has succeeded and he has no reason to deviate from that course.

He made this very clear up-front and offered people alternatives if they want zombies without the focus on PvP.

He also made his reasoning clear - and I completely agree with it. No matter how many hundreds of hours they pour into the zombie AI it will never be as cunning as a human enemy. Human threats are unpredictable, dynamic, emotional and driven. AI enemies are dumb, predictable, easily manipulated and repetitive. So he made a choice. He's not going to spend a year trying to perfect the most dangerous amazing zombie AI so he can make a PvE game about zombies. He's going to make "dangerous enough" zombies to create a backdrop for a PvP-focused, tactical team play game.

If that's not the game you're looking for, then you're not looking for DayZ. That's okay. It really is. There are other games and other communities. You don't have to change DayZ to fit your preconceptions of it - just go find a game that already meets your expectations.

"If that's not the game you're looking for, then you're not looking for DayZ. That's okay. It really is. There are other games and other communities. You don't have to change DayZ to fit your preconceptions of it - just go find a game that already meets your expectations."

with reasoning like that, you shouldnt be on the suggestions board. This section of the forums is for people to suggest improvements for the game, not for them to be told to leave due to making a suggestion. I never said the game sucks and I dont like it, it's a brilliant game. I'm just making a suggestion on behalf of all the people I know dislike the hardcore PvP, and on behalf of the many people saying "nerf PvP!".

And you're acting like I'm asking for the game to be rebalanced so zombies are as big a threat as bandits. And your acting like I just said to nerf PvP game-wide. Are you illiterate, or too lazy to read the suggestion? I'm asking for something simple. weaker player-to-player damage server option, or a friendly-fire-off server option. I believe that it would improve the experience for many people, mainly the more casual gamers, who are also asking for similar changes. The difference between me and them is they tend to have unreasonable suggestions.

I'm going to keep my suggestion here, and keep playing DayZ. And I'm going to encourage other worthwhile suggestions, or give USEFUL feedback. If you have a problem with that, just go and find another forums board.

"If that's not the game you're looking for' date=' then you're not looking for DayZ. That's okay. It really is. There are other games and other communities. You don't have to change DayZ to fit your preconceptions of it - just go find a game that already meets your expectations."

with reasoning like that, you shouldnt be on the suggestions board. This section of the forums is for people to suggest improvements for the game, not for them to be told to leave due to making a suggestion. I never said the game sucks and I dont like it, it's a brilliant game. I'm just making a suggestion on behalf of all the people I know dislike the hardcore PvP, and on behalf of the many people saying "nerf PvP!".

[/quote']

You can't make server options for no PvP due to the persistent characters.

Think what your asking for, Basically it'll be a 'free gear' server,that dickheads will go on to just to run about the best spawn points then hop back into a PvP with their new toys.

There, thats a solid tech reason why NO. You can't have a nerfed PvP server.

The point of the game is to die, dude. Every time i get to the point where i have a good gun and plenty of supplies, my only options are to a)go on a psychotic killing spree and have a ball or b)go to the airfield and find sweet weapons before getting shot. The fun part is getting to the stability. Having a power weapon and obscene amounts of ammo to kill zombies with? Gets really stale fast.