Sign in to follow this  
tehflapjack

New Helicopter Crash Sites

So, after my last post on weapon corrections (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214562-weapon-corrections/) a few people pointed out that the Austrian military use the UH-60 and Austria is fairly near to where Chernarus supposedly is so it would make decent sense for the AUG A1 to spawn at helicopter crash sites. I started to think after that though that it would make no sense for lets say a M4A1 to spawn along side a AUG A1. This brought me to a idea which personally I think is very good and would be a great solution to adding weapons from other nationalities into DayZ, as I'd like them to be present I just want it to make sense on how I acquired them and this idea does that... I think.

They'd be different types of helicopter crash sites for each country (not all obviously, just the ones I thought were relevant and had unique equipment), so I've chosen a transport/cargo helicopter that their military uses to differentiate them. The appropriate equipment would spawn at these crash sites, some countries crash sites are less common but not for better gear necessarily, just what countries I think are most likely going to going to Chernarus to assist with the infection.

Here's a list of the types of crash sites I think there should be and I've put a link underneath each one to the list of that country's army equipment so you can see what sort of loot would be there.

{Types of Helicopter Crash Sites}

Common

UH-60 Black Hawk - United States of America

W-3 Sokół - Czech Republic

Mi-17 - Russia

Mi-2 - Ukraine

Uncommon

Westland Lynx AH9A - United Kingdom

UH-1N Huey - Austria

AS532 Cougar - Turkey

• NH90 - Germany

• SW-4 - Poland

Rare

Harbin Z-9 - China

Vertol 107-II - Sweden

EDIT: I also think it would be good to have these as dynamic events like in one of the EPOCH plug-ins. Where throughout the server life span (the time between restarts) these helicopters will fly over Chernarus and then it's rotors will fail or some other faulty causing it to crash, these are representing other countries coming over to help the survivors in some way. Credit to Zing Freelancer for this part of the suggestion, I made a few little twists in this but mainly it was their idea. I originally did not think this idea would work but they convinced me otherwise.

Now, I know probably not all these countries would realistically go and help with this infection, it's just a somewhat logical excuse to add all this other equipment in. Which would be significantly harder to get hold than Chernarus' military equipment.

Please tell me what you guys think, I'm just trying to find a way to make it so non Chernarussian equipment can make it into the game with it making sense.
Edited by TehAlmightyFlapjack

Have you played STALKER Shadow of Chernoby?

There was a bunch of UN and American weapons in the game because at some point other nations got involved, tried sending scientists and soldiers. Set up bases and brought large quantities of equipment with them, which got looted when these bases got eventually abandoned.

If you think about it, that Chernarus is the original country of the outbreak, at some point other nations got involved to try to find a cure or solution to the problem. They brought scientists, soldiers and large quantities of their own equipment which had to be stored some place, some where.

EDIT:

In my humble opinion I feel like helicopter crash sites should be more of a dynamic event that happen during server life span (server life span = time between restarts). There was a mod for EPOCH simulating a jet crash site where a real jet would fly across a map and crash some place during the game and you had to track the location down. Perhaps adding something similar to DayZ where helicopters start in the sky and then eventually crash down somewhere. If players carry a radio with them they can even hear pilot calling mayday on emergency channel. You see helicopter in the sky, smoking, track it down to crash site, find a lot of zombies attracted by the loud sound, feasting on passengers, kill all zombies, get the loot.

Edited by Zing Freelancer

There was a bunch of UN and American weapons in the game because at some point other nations got involved, tried sending scientists and soldiers. Set up bases and brought large quantities of equipment with them, which got looted when these bases got eventually abandoned.

If you think about it, that Chernarus is the original country of the outbreak, at some point other nations got involved to try to find a cure or solution to the problem. They brought scientists, soldiers and large quantities of their own equipment which had to be stored some place, some where.

I haven't actually, it's a game I've been intending to play for a while however.

And that's along the lines of something else I thought of, that they'd be camps that had been made by other countries having come over to help with the infection. Therefore, having their military's equipment there. Not sure if they'd have set locations or randomly spawned like crash sites. I think it would work well along side this crash site idea.

I haven't actually, it's a game I've been intending to play for a while however.

And that's along the lines of something else I thought of, that they'd be camps that had been made by other countries having come over to help with the infection. Therefore, having their military's equipment there. Not sure if they'd have set locations or randomly spawned like crash sites. I think it would work well along side this crash site idea.

You need to play it, its absolute classic of my generation.

Helicopters, convoys, air planes can be labeled as dynamic. Camps should be static in my opinion.

From what I experienced in EPOCH, dynamic military/bandit/medical camps were a bit wibly wably in terms of location, lore and accessibility. 

What can be done to add more dynamic interaction to these camps are supply drops. Similar to how Rust had their supply drops, a UN forces could fly over their camp location and parachute supply crate in containing various rare loot like guns, MER rations, water etc.

My personal opinion that such events should always be announced on the radio, so that radios would actually be sought after for more reasons that communication.

You need to play it, its absolute classic of my generation.

Helicopters, convoys, air planes can be labeled as dynamic. Camps should be static in my opinion.

From what I experienced in EPOCH, dynamic military/bandit/medical camps were a bit wibly wably in terms of location, lore and accessibility. 

What can be done to add more dynamic interaction to these camps are supply drops. Similar to how Rust had their supply drops, a UN forces could fly over their camp location and parachute supply crate in containing various rare loot like guns, MER rations, water etc.

My personal opinion that such events should always be announced on the radio, so that radios would actually be sought after for more reasons that communication.

Yeah, I've seen that on EPOCH servers and thought it would be good in the standalone. However, I think it would make it seem as if it's the start of the apocalypse all the time, as in everyone's panicking trying to sort it out instead of people eventually adapting to what's happening and trying to survive. I don't know, it's just my opinion and I just think it'll make it seem like the apocalypse isn't progressing at all.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen that on EPOCH servers and thought it would be good in the standalone. However, I think it would make it seem as if it's the start of the apocalypse all the time, as in everyone's panicking trying to sort it out instead of people eventually adapting to what's happening and trying to survive. I don't know, it's just my opinion and I just think it'll make it seem like the apocalypse isn't progressing at all.

This is why you should play STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.

Basically in STALKER, after the Prypat disaster everyone panicked and scrambled around, tried to study anomalies and figure out how to solve it but eventually gave up and decided it would be easier to lock the area instead. This is where the game starts, as people have already adapted to the idea that Chernobyl is a locked off area from the rest of the word, what happened in Chernobyl, stayed in Chernobyl.

Now something similar could apply to Chernorus, when the outbreak began some countries went to Chernorus to study and try to cure it, but failed and as situation worsened and got out of hand, they run away. The country got isolated in an attempt to prevent spreading of the virus and sometimes an odd country would drop humanitarian help to whoever got left behind.

This is why you should play STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.

Basically in STALKER, after the Prypat disaster everyone panicked and scrambled around, tried to study anomalies and figure out how to solve it but eventually gave up and decided it would be easier to lock the area instead. This is where the game starts, as people have already adapted to the idea that Chernobyl is a locked off area from the rest of the word, what happened in Chernobyl, stayed in Chernobyl.

Now something similar could apply to Chernorus, when the outbreak began some countries went to Chernorus to study and try to cure it, but failed and as situation worsened and got out of hand, they run away. The country got isolated in an attempt to prevent spreading of the virus and sometimes an odd country would drop humanitarian help to whoever got left behind.

Maybe yeah, mind if I add in to the post what you've suggested - Giving you credit?

Edited by TehAlmightyFlapjack

Stalker weapons were more smuggled. Research teams were official and regulated with the military allowing nobody to move in or out of the zone.

Stalker weapons were more smuggled. Research teams were official and regulated with the military allowing nobody to move in or out of the zone.

All hail to the tail!

I think you are mostly right, but there was one faction in the fist game that had a base inside a city like hub and the other faction had a base outside the area in a military facility. You could get a mission to exterminate either of these factions. The thing is, the one faction were equipped with foreign weapons they looted from the base they were occupying. Secondly soldiers guarding researchers working on brain scorcher were also mostly equipped with foreign weapons.

But I think you are right, the foreign countries smuggled their people and equipment to the Zone, I don't remember every single detail any more as its has been a long time since I played stalker.

I'd love this, especially if we can find guns like the M60E4 and Mark 23 at the U.S. crashsites.

This would allow the devs to tier the guns based on the helicopter crashsites themselves, not on simply guns that deserve spawning at crashsites (For example, you could still have Beretta 92FS/M9 pistols spawn at U.S. crashsites, even though they're not superior to the CR75 which can spawn in general military areas)

All hail to the tail!

I think you are mostly right, but there was one faction in the fist game that had a base inside a city like hub and the other faction had a base outside the area in a military facility. You could get a mission to exterminate either of these factions.

You're thinking Duty and Freedom.

Neither were friendly with the military, they were just factions of their own in the zone.

You're thinking Duty and Freedom.

Neither were friendly with the military, they were just factions of their own in the zone.

Yeah, Freedom were the one using foreign weapons.