Sign in to follow this  
Chapinet

Minimum FPS or minimum viewing distance? Help me dudes!

My first message here, posting very occasionally in the subreddit, but I think here receive more help or better by all active community.

---

First of all, sorry by my English level (I'm from Spain) I hope communicate with you.

I know I'm on a game in alpha version, which is not even BETA and has yet to evolve much in terms of optimization, with the attachment of DirectX or other routes which I don't remember at the moment.

Since I played Day-Z for the first time in the MOD, I notice that in these games, need a vision graph sufficiently minimal to see someone of far. From best to worst according to the sight of weapons, or if done with the view of character. I am a person who hates to see fog (or nothing) in the distance, when you probably could see a person running around, though weapons not have greater effective range at X meters.

So, after a testing time (400+h from the beginning of August in Day-Z SA) I leave as I configured the game, and my computer specs, besides my launch options and my .ini settings. See if you can help me, or give advice on your experience. I've watched guides here and there but the result not convinced me, always finish customizing my game. I try prioritizing FPS but seeing textures that does not distinguish between trees or characters. I find it very annoying, and I see a lot of pictures on subreddit Day-Z.

---

My PC specs: (I spent years in PC, but never I have had sufficient knowledge to do overclock, is a pending task)

S.O.: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 3.5GHz (multiplier varies sometimes, 3.7GHz or 4.0GHz)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) (*Reason single channel it's by Cooler.)

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270X GAMING 2GB (MSI) Memory: 2048 MB.

And one ordinary hard drive, i don't know if an SSD is really notary in Day-Z SA. My PC is not quite what I would like, I wanted to upgrade but did not have enough money for it, so I decided to choose AMD for both GPU like CPU.

---

These are the launch options I use:

[-nosplash -noPause -cpuCount=4 -maxMem=6144 -exThreads=7 -maxVram=2048 -high]

---

My CFG .ini:

sceneComplexity=1000000; (this is very important for me, but FPS down on towns)

shadowZDistance=50;

viewDistance=1500;

preferredObjectViewDistance=1500;

terrainGrid=50;

I'm open to all sorts of opinions and advice, I am not yet satisfied and comfortable.

Edited by Chapinet
  • Like 1

Scene complexity = object detail which causes massive CPU choke (especially in towns) and consequently lower frame rates.

Based on your CPU / GPU combo you are most likely CPU bound the majority of the time (even when you are away from a town).

You will not get better frame rates unless you lower object detail, reduce view distance or overclock your CPU.

• Like 1

Scene complexity = object detail which causes massive CPU choke (especially in towns) and consequently lower frame rates.

Based on your CPU / GPU combo you are most likely CPU bound the majority of the time (even when you are away from a town).

You will not get better frame rates unless you lower object detail, reduce view distance or overclock your CPU.

Hey, thanks for commenting, my first Beans for you, haha! I expected more participation, despite being a theme repeated a bit.

However, I do not understand what you mean about my CPU all the load is carried. Sometines, I notice that my GPU goes almost to the limit the VRAM, but I think it is more a thing of the game that uses the CPU improperly, and well, I think for this type of game or in general, we know that AMD does not use its resources as well as Intel. On the last point, if I understand that change is what most notary. I'll try to leave the details of intact objects, or at least Normal-High. Maybe doing OC safe probably would compensate this, or at least raise the voltage multiplier without touching or touching it a little, may be an option, at least to let them fixed to 4.0GHz and without fallen by saving energy, my CPU Cooler is a CoolerMaster 412S.

Few final questions: Might you explain me the difference between viewDistance and preferredObjectViewDistance? The minimum value that would drop would be 1000 for 1km. I want to see minimally buildings, and especially the full body silhouette of others. The reason to come up details of objects, was on the ground one day, I saw something moving in the distance...

...like a walking root, and turned out to be a person. It was all the fault of the details of objects (Very low) I have friends with Intel-NVIDIA better performance with the same hardware.

Edited by Chapinet
  • Like 1

DayZ is not optimized and is currently CPU bound for the most part. 

Your processors single core performance is going to make the difference in performance as of right now. The game doesn't really care how many processing "cores" you have available. It only cares about how fast the single core performance is. AMD is certainly trailing Intel but you can gain some more performance by overclocking your processor or as you suggested, locking the multiplier to avoid power saving throttling...even though it shouldn't do that while under load, but possible I guess since it isn't utilizing more than one or perhaps two cores.

I have an Intel Pentium chip with only 2 cores and no hyper-threading and my performance in game (FPS) is fine only because I overclocked to 4.4Ghz. Consistently smooth FPS and virtually no stutter out of a $50 CPU is quite impressive. It's all about the single core performance right now. 

In time they are supposed to update the rendering engine and optimize it. When that happens I'm sure you will see a substantial increase in performance when your CPU's additional cores are being used. Overclock for now and be patient waiting on optimization and new render engine...or upgrade to Intel.  :P

Here are some links to tweaking your DayZ config files for a few extra frames.

DayZ FPS Fix

And another from Reddit

Good luck and cheers! 

• Like 1

Processor (CPU) AMD FX-8320 Eight Core CPU (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)

Motherboard ASUS® M5A97 LE R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s)

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 2GB AMD RADEON™ R9 270X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)

We have practically the same setup.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/4rch1t3ct/screenshots/?appid=221100 there's how my game looks (some of the older ones are from a really old rig)

My launch options: -nosplash -noPause -cpuCount=8 maxMem=8192 -exthreads=8 -malloc=system

I don't remember where the config file is though to paste that, but I generally get between 30-40fps in fields/forests and about 15-25 in towns. Nothing that hinders gameplay anyway. I know people say that AMD isn't suitable for DayZ but mines seems to run it fine for me.

Edited by Tactical Nuke
  • Like 1

Shadows disabled, AA disabled, Post Processing disabled and you can play with other settings as much as you like to get them optimal for your GPU. Object detail has HUGE impact on fps but it also has impact how far you see other players so you either keep it high to compete with other players (and having low fps) or lower it to get lovely performance.

Also you can lower your view distance down to like 1200 and object distance 1000

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Might you explain me the difference between viewDistance and preferredObjectViewDistance? The minimum value that would drop would be 1000 for 1km. I want to see minimally buildings, and especially the full body silhouette of others. The reason to come up details of objects, was on the ground one day, I saw something moving in the distance...

...like a walking root, and turned out to be a person. It was all the fault of the details of objects (Very low) I have friends with Intel-NVIDIA better performance with the same hardware.

Not sure about preferredObjectDistance vs viewDistance.

Also note that in general a 4ghz intel chip will out perform a 4ghz amd chip, don't ask me why.

You should use something like MSI Afterburner to monitor gpu usage while ingame.

• Like 1

@ Chapinet and Tactical Nuke, I'm running twice your ram (16g @ 1600mhz) and an i7 3770k @ 4.2.  Using the R9 270X as well and I get fairly decent frames in the country and forest 50-60 fps.  The cities average around 25-35 fps. I use just the in game settings with all quality settings on normal except terrain, I have that on very high.

Here's my settings

FxaWdmJ.jpg

Try them and see if that helps.  It definitely could be that your CPU bound and not going to gain much more. 

• Like 1

DayZ is not optimized and is currently CPU bound for the most part. 

Your processors single core performance is going to make the difference in performance as of right now. The game doesn't really care how many processing "cores" you have available. It only cares about how fast the single core performance is. AMD is certainly trailing Intel but you can gain some more performance by overclocking your processor or as you suggested, locking the multiplier to avoid power saving throttling...even though it shouldn't do that while under load, but possible I guess since it isn't utilizing more than one or perhaps two cores.

I have an Intel Pentium chip with only 2 cores and no hyper-threading and my performance in game (FPS) is fine only because I overclocked to 4.4Ghz. Consistently smooth FPS and virtually no stutter out of a CPU is quite impressive. It's all about the single core performance right now. 

In time they are supposed to update the rendering engine and optimize it. When that happens I'm sure you will see a substantial increase in performance when your CPU's additional cores are being used. Overclock for now and be patient waiting on optimization and new render engine...or upgrade to Intel.  :P

Here are some links to tweaking your DayZ config files for a few extra frames.

DayZ FPS Fix

And another from Reddit

Good luck and cheers! 

Yes, that I have mentioned and in fact I think the problem is that this game uses CPU but not properly at the moment, in this way, as you say the vast majority are very noticeable frequency per core, now I understand everything. Yes, I agree and I am therefore unhappy with AMD, though I knew what was exposing myself, but the price was my problem.

A friend with a 2600K (or without K, can not remember now) despite being a Quadcore, him have with OC 4.1-4.2GHz more or less, which apparently up very well, so, him have more the gain that I have with a 8320. Energy saving have it disabled, i'll should look to disable the turbo or raise the multiplier, I have to report long before you do anything without being sure, but your words helping me. Very agreement that I will have to have patience and wait for the optimization of the game, to awaken the other threads CPU.

The Day-Z Guide TV I saw, but not Reddit, thank you very much for your great comment, very encouraging!

Processor (CPU) AMD FX-8320 Eight Core CPU (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)

Motherboard ASUS® M5A97 LE R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s)

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 2GB AMD RADEON™ R9 270X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)

We have practically the same setup.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/4rch1t3ct/screenshots/?appid=221100 there's how my game looks (some of the older ones are from a really old rig)

My launch options: -nosplash -noPause -cpuCount=8 maxMem=8192 -exthreads=8 -malloc=system

I don't remember where the config file is though to paste that, but I generally get between 30-40fps in fields/forests and about 15-25 in towns. Nothing that hinders gameplay anyway. I know people say that AMD isn't suitable for DayZ but mines seems to run it fine for me.

Hmmm, interesting, but it would help me see how much has set his play in the graphics options, or if the .ini file is modified. However, the rate of FPS think mine is not as below, unless, you know more details on your configuration, then if it is likely to have the same performance. Thanks for comment!

The route .ini: C:UsersyournameDocumentsDayZDayZ.cfg

Shadows disabled, AA disabled, Post Processing disabled and you can play with other settings as much as you like to get them optimal for your GPU. Object detail has HUGE impact on fps but it also has impact how far you see other players so you either keep it high to compete with other players (and having low fps) or lower it to get lovely performance.

Also you can lower your view distance down to like 1200 and object distance 1000

Shadows I have very low, and have them how much 50 meters, I guess if notary gain, although I want to avoid touching these things, I like to have a minimum, I mean, I prefer to follow other paths to gain performance (overclock, for example). AA as I have also at minimum, to place the vegetation like Arma 2, but if I turn off and therefore the vegetation, I see blue pixels in the trees, very annoying, not if it is my problem or my combo CPU + GPU. Postprocessing however if you have turned off at an early stage.

On the subject of details of objects, is exactly that, so it's something I want to keep playing, and if all else, to avoid that, if finally I need off some details, I will, but always trying to object details at very high. Is one of the reasons why I created this topic is what I get. Lower if viewing distance can be a good idea, both 1000m, I'll prove. Thanks for comment!

@ Chapinet and Tactical Nuke, I'm running twice your ram (16g @ 1600mhz) and an i7 3770k @ 4.2.  Using the R9 270X as well and I get fairly decent frames in the country and forest 50-60 fps.  The cities average around 25-35 fps. I use just the in game settings with all quality settings on normal except terrain, I have that on very high.

Here's my settings

Try them and see if that helps.  It definitely could be that your CPU bound and not going to gain much more. 

Clear example of what matters the performance per core, according to the frequency of the nucleus. In my opinion, some options graphics are unnecessary. Great performance anyway. As you mention, my CPU can not give more of themselves and have two more viable options: 

-Make any safe overclock, keeping frequency on 4GHz stable minimum.
-Wait for the game to be optimized, but safe OC always good, 8320 transforming a 8350 stock. (3.5GHz up 4.0GHz)

Thanks to all feedback, I'll take a decision! Thanks community!
Edited by Chapinet
  • Like 1