Sign in to follow this  
Zing Freelancer

DayZ 0.5 first impression after long break

You clearly stated you stopped playing because you said and I quote "have not been able to find a better gun then a mosin for about a month". Now, unless you think a 1911 pistol is better than a mosin, you're obviously referring to the M4A1, AK101 or the AKM, which are indeed assault rifles. New features? One of them is agriculture, growing vegetable. But since you don't have enough time like I do and they don't have assault rifle seeds implemented yet, you probably won't be doing that either. You are talking about being rewarded for spending time and resources to find what you are looking for, while completely ignoring the luck factor. You also state having being shot at and having nothing to show for it. If you lived through an hostile encounter and feel like you have nothing to show for it, well all I can say is that your own perception of what is enjoyable or not is the only thing preventing you from having fun. Let me reiterate, you have been shot at, and survived. That in itself is an achievement to be proud of.

I'm sure getting shot at feels like a great achievement for you but that's not why i started playing dayz, i can do that in any fps game. Do you know what a statement is?, i did not write a statement and neither did i 'state' the reason i left was because i could not find a better weapon, i was agreeing with the op's findings and also explaining to him that the lack of high value loot has turned me off the game. You really need to raise your understanding of the english language because you don't seem to be getting it. Growing vegetables lol, that is exactly what this game needs, how could i be so naive.

Also i do not ignore the luck factor, in fact that is the worse thing about it, me and all my friends having no luck is not the same as some of us having luck and other people not having luck, the luck just is not there to begin with so what are you trying to get at. You can argue all day about how great your tomatoes are but if this guy takes a look at the steam charts he can see for himself what is happening to the player base month after month and that's just something you can't argue with.

• Like 1

I'm sure getting shot at feels like a great achievement for you but that's not why i started playing dayz, i can do that in any fps game. Do you know what a statement is?, i did not write a statement and neither did i 'state' the reason i left was because i could not find a better weapon, i was agreeing with the op's findings and also explaining to him that the lack of high value loot has turned me off the game. You really need to raise your understanding of the english language because you don't seem to be getting it. Growing vegetables lol, that is exactly what this game needs, how could i be so naive.

Also i do not ignore the luck factor, in fact that is the worse thing about it, me and all my friends having no luck is not the same as some of us having luck and other people not having luck, the luck just is not there to begin with so what are you trying to get at. You can argue all day about how great your tomatoes are but if this guy takes a look at the steam charts he can see for himself what is happening to the player base month after month and that's just something you can't argue with.

Wow im not even part of this argument and your attitude is annoying me. Seriosuly this game is not for you. Too much high value loot means too much deathmatch. Trust me theres enough high value loot out there. One of my friends has an m4 for christ's sake. If your not interested in immersing yourself into the atmosphere of the game, hunting, cooking at a campfire then growing your own food (an important step forwards in the apocalypse) and interacting with players (things like talking, holding them up, kidnapping, trading, forcing people to fight as gladiators) then seriously i think you need to find a new game.

• Like 2

What are those military installation are you talking about?

New military bases scattered in the west and south-west of the map.

The most interesting one (personal opinion, of course) is the biggest one, between Pavlovo and Kamenka. Following the road between those two towns you'll see a crossroad/fork shortly after leaving the southern outskirts of Pavlovo...take this new road and after a few minutes you'll find a walled compound in the woods. That's Pavlovo Military Base...take care, last time I travelled there (patch 0.49) it was Balota Mk II: lots of server hoppers, everyone is a legitimate target and such.

Another interesting one is "tent city" west of Myshkino. If you follow the road (don't, cut through the woods west of the town) you only have to leave the northern outskirts of Myshkino and after a few minutes you'll find a crossroad/fork: take the western road and following it you'll end in an enormous clearing in the woods where you'll find a FOB with lots of military tents, wrecked vehicles and sentry post. That's Myshkino Forward Operative Base (previously at Balota Airfield, now relocated there).

North of Severograd there's a new military base...never visited it in person, AFAIK you shouldn't use a ladder that o below ground (there's a bunker of some sort) because it's bugged and kills you. Or, at least, that happened to someone in experimental...don't know if it's really a bug or if he was simply unlucky.

New military bases scattered in the west and south-west of the map.

The most interesting one (personal opinion, of course) is the biggest one, between Pavlovo and Kamenka

This one however is far from being new. :)

This one however is far from being new. :)

Well, he said he stopped playing before summer...I suppose it's new stuff for him.

Well, he said he stopped playing before summer...I suppose it's new stuff for him.

No, its been there for ages. I usually went there after looting bolota, but so far I am not impressed by military installations, they hardly have any loot. As for the bunker, so far what I've seen on youtube it's nothing more than a hole in a ground with 3-4 ladders and barely any loot.

I'll drop by that tent city later today.

There is not 'plenty' to do and there are no 'cool' new features, same old kill on sight deathmatch. This game is hardly a survival game at all.

Actually there is, craft a bow, do some fishing, hunting. The problem with most players is they hang around military buildings trying to loot high powered guns or kill an unarmed bambi, and when this doesnt happen they complain

I think it's going down the right track now r.e. weapon availability (ignoring the obvious glitch with those overflowing spawn points). I say good riddance to the M4 en masse - it never fitted with the Eastern Block theme, just having them at US heli crashes does make sense.

I've been pleasantly surprised playing for the first time again for a few months to find PVE already quite entertaining - well, the hunting, fishing and cooking can make for a fairly laid back run-around. Not being able to carry everything you'd ideally have for that game style at the same time - fishing rod, spade/hoe, bait, bow, arrows, axe... That works and keeps you from just being able to sit in the woods. And your main tools - axe and knife - both those wear out and force you back to civilisation too.

After playing a bit like that you can't help but get attached to your character... because you survive a lot longer. You end up getting more cautious about going into populated areas. ...And that works, it brings back a bit of that first-play 'buzz', the paranoia. Well, it has done for me, having been a DayZ player since the mod came out.

If I want to play war I play wasteland with a .50cal and MK48 mod. This PVE element is what makes DayZ work. Having to play for days before you've your 'dream' setup, that's what's needed, imo. That's what creates the learning curve - it means that the top tier players might be the guys you never encounter rather than the best shot. That's DayZ, imo.

If you want to be running and gunning with an M4 and full outfit after an hour or so's play - where do you go from there? ...and, even if the heavy PVP's your thing, well, DayZ is just a bit pants as a first person shooter - you might simply not find anyone and when you do you've dodgy frame rate and lag to contend with half the time and end up coming away pissed off because you got shot because of that rather than in a satisfying battle - or you simply get so bored running around looking for people that you stop thinking and run right into a headshot. No, keep the PVP lean and mean.

So, like airgrafix, I say if you ain't enjoying 0.5 then diversify a bit, DayZ is what you make it. Get yourself into the woods with your penknife ( ...hmm, that gives me an idea: swiss army knife...) Find yourself an ash tree and get whittling - you can even whack up your textures, flick the old clouds on, hell slam some bloom in there while you're at it... and enjoy the view for once.  B) ...And then crap yourself when you go inside a building and you can't see out. 

And, aye... I look forward to trying a bit of Namalsk style winter when the temperature system's ironed out - That'll be hardcore.

Thumbs up.

(But, oh, what I'd give for a nice red bicycle.) 

Edited by Harmonica