eko (DayZ)

Zombie movement - the zig-zag shuffle.

To prevent any potential flaming of this suggestion, let me make it clear that my intent isn't to make things "easier" or more user friendly.

My suggestion: Tune/Remove the zig-zagging of zombies as they run and scream towards you.

My reasoning: I found this odd from the very beginning, and now with the increase zombie count (which I LOVE btw) it's really more of an annoyance than anything. When I think of the actions a zombie makes, they are primal and in no way calculated. If they were to think, it would be "KILL! EAT! BRAINS! BWARHG!" and would then proceed to the most direct route to achieving those thoughts - which would be directly towards me, the meal.

I can't imagine a zombie trying to psych me out and dodge my bullets as it's only goal in... well not life... let's say existence... is to feast on the living. There are no thoughts of self preservation, blow off it's legs and the only thing it will do is try to crawl and maul.

As I said before, with the higher zombie count - the zig-zagging is really more of an annoyance and immersion breaker than anything. When I have a hoard of zombies running circles around me, darting in and out taking one bite at a time, zig zagging everywhere the only thing going through my head is "Damn it Zombies, why aren't you acting like zombies!"

-----

Am I the only one who feels this way? I understand that we all likely have different ideas of what a "zombie" really is and how they should act, but this just doesn't seem to fit the bill for me (not to mention the ladder climbing :P).

Anyway, just a simple suggestion - would be great to hear other's thoughts on it though!

+1.

I always just assumed it was some sort of Pathfinding issue though? We all know how bad ArmA2's Pathfinding AI is...

Also shooting just reveals you'r position to other players / bandits.. So shooting zombies just for fun can go really bad in no time

+1.

I always just assumed it was some sort of Pathfinding issue though? We all know how bad ArmA2's Pathfinding AI is...

Yup i'm almost certain its a arma 2 AI issue, as most of the things are that people complain about.

Yes this needs fixing as it is you have to wait till they hitting you before you get a shot on them.

+1'd and signed. This is one of the big issues in the game, causes people to die just because of latency, and the only counter to it is to "game the system" by running backwards with accurate fire (ridiculous, right) or going into a building that the zombies respectfully shuffle in to avoid breaking the furnishings or something. As an Alpha tester, I'd respectfully assign this issue an 8 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being do it now pls, game is broken).

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this! If it is indeed an issue with the Arma 2 AI Pathfinding, hopefully it's one that can be fixed :).

There used to be a video from Arma2 OA where the devs talked avout pathfinding and there was some debug mode active where you could see how the path was aproximated.

Long story short, pathfinding is done on a grid.

I don't want to start a new thread, but I've searched a lot and I have not found anyone bring up the whole "juke" thing when zombies jump to your back almost every time.

I don't get to carry high level weapons at this stage so it I assume it is more apparent for a particular style/level of play, but I notice two things:

- Zombies juke in the opposite direction of your crosshairs

- given they are close enough, will nearly teleport to your back

no doubt survivability will shoot up when these two issues are resolved/tweaked.

i am so happy that they didnt put the classic arms in front reaching for the brains motion, way too mainstream

+1 from me, this would definitely make it more realistic, most zombie games make zombies come directly at you as the shortest distance to a point is a straight line and that is primal instinct.

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this! If it is indeed an issue with the Arma 2 AI Pathfinding' date=' hopefully it's one that can be fixed :).

[/quote']

If they fixed the zombie AI pathing it would make things ALOT MORE FUN. The Zig Zagging definitely needs to be fixed as ive never seen a zombie zig zag in any movie about them

They usually go from limping/crawling around to sprinting, so it makes sense they would have some issues maintaining a straight line.

How about changing the running animation to stumbling (or just using your imagination)?

I am pretty sure this is an Arma, not a specifically designed Zombie issue. In truth the Zeds would run straight at you, maybe even falling over obstacles and each other in their desire to get you.

They usually go from limping/crawling around to sprinting' date=' so it makes sense they would have some issues maintaining a straight line.

[/quote']

Are you completely out of your mind?

I think the Dev's should figure out if they are Zombies, or infected people.

If they are Zombies they should not be able to sprint as fast as they do now. Since they are corpses that are reanimated somehow, and their body is in a decaying state.

If they are infected with some virus making their brains revert to some primal instinct eating and killing everything they see, if would be more plausible for them to be able to run at the exceptional speed they do now.

If they are Zombies they should move slower, no more than a fast walk.

An idea could be to implement stamina, so that you are able to run away from Zombies, but not indefinitely like now, but when your stamina runs out you will have to rest, thus giving the Zombies an opportunity to catch up with you.

I'd vote for infected, making it more realistic whilst also more of a challenge since they would have speed, kind of like they would have the Rage virus (from ''28 Days Later'' movie/book), which would pump adrenaline into the body all the time, ultimately turning the infected into anti-exhaustive powerhouses. However, they still need to fix the zig-zag movement.