Sign in to follow this  
Fiddlesticks

Smell (need to bathe)

Friends and I were joking around and came up with an idea that might actually be kinda neat.

Similar to how food and water deplete over time. What if a Hygiene meter went down to, and if you get to dirty you would begin to smell and you could attract flies similar to how a dead body does. Players could hear the flies (since they can't smell the game). And also zombies could be more attracted to you if you begin to smell too much also.

You would be able to clean yourself with a water bottle or by at the water well or in ponds/lakes.

What do you guys think, like it at all? Or if you would change something.

EDIT: Also, your chance of catching a cold/getting sick, could also be effected by your cleanliness.

Its a great idea since I'm the one who actually came up with it. ;-)

This is hilarious and kind of neat. Genius...I'd say.

Yeah I like this. Could also be tied in as a negative part of murder... if you kill someone and loot their gear, you could pick up the stink of their fresh blood, making you a more pungent zombie target...

Yeah, you could have it as, everything you loot any type of body it would deplete your cleanliness a little, whether it be zombie, livestock, or players.

You could add gloves as an item too, and if you wear gloves (I guess it would go in side arm sort of like a flashlight?) and if you are wearing gloves it wouldn't deplete when you loot, but time still effects it

I would suggest a nose icon rather than a cleanliness icon

The stronger you smell the more zeds you attract.

I would suggest a nose icon rather than a cleanliness icon

The stronger you smell the more zeds you attract.

Yeah, if it would stay to just smell, I think that would be appropriate. But others I've talked to have also suggested to add more elements if you are dirty, such as if you are bleeding and you are very dirty, you can get an infection/sickness.

YES

definitely cool for a try as the more of this kinda stuff gets added the more players are forced in the same spaces/ to coorperate / to have dynamic firefights

pretty neat concept, it would suck getting cough cleaning up in a lake and someone runs up takes your backpack and rifle and run lol

I suggested in my post Skins/Clothes and "perks" http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=25776

That you could take off the clothes of dead players. through it would be dirty and bloody, would cause illness faster.

I think these two idea's would complement each other quite well.

Also, you can make soap out of animal fat or tallow.

Video on it here

would be pretty neat if there was this kind of mechanic too.

you can use tallow to clean your guns/clothes/body etc. adding this mechanic would open a door for all kinds of new features

I know! Lets add clipping our nails to the game. Maybe you will get shot while clipping your toe nails. :D

I think this is almost as bad as the defecating thread.

This is just clutter...how about we "assume" that survivors wash them selves from time to time when not in game? Can they shit and piss at the same time? Wash hands?

I think this idea, while creative, is useless. Realistically, you wouldn't be able to a smell a person IRL unless your within 2-3 feet of him/her (unless they have some sort of condition) and by then you've probably seen or heard them. Another thing is: flies are not attracted to things that smell bad to us, they are attracted to things that smell like they can lay their eggs in. people assumed that because flies tend to be found near shit and dead things (both smell equally nasty) that they must be attracted to bad smells. They only really care about laying their eggs in these things as they are both good food sources for maggots. Also, If the body odor mechanic was implemented, then zombies would have to have flies buzzing around them too ass they are basically walking piles of rot.

I wouldn't want to put it as the character needs to bath, because an odour like that doesn't really matter and that doesn't really add much to the gameplay,

To a Zombie you either smell Alive or Dead. You want to disguise that smell? Grab some zombie parts and smear them all over you!

Then maybe you can sneak past close zombies LoS while standing (No running, then you draw attention). Maybe the zombie parts degrade over time, or maybe rain will wash the smell off, or maybe your characters natural sweat will start attracting zombies again. I don't know but a time limit can be easily explained. Or don't show a time limit and make it last for a random amount of seconds so people can't be certain they are going to get past a Zombie undetected every time.

I'm going off The Walking Dead, because I think thats a great use of evading zombies, same with hiding under a dead Zombie corpse.

That's how smell should be used in the game, not forcing the player to run around the map taking a bath, finding soap, locating their toothbrush, then flossing. Yes it's Realistic, but no it doesn't add to the game experience, it just seems to hamper it. Well at least that's how I see it.

this would only work if they got rid of the anoying drop everything in water thing

Think this idea should be revisited, not so much in a smell'o'meter way but for health reasons. How many times have you been hit to bleeding point by zombies? How many scratches, scrapes and cuts would you obtain not just from zombies but from crawling through the mud (bushes, stingy nettles, etc), bullets, falling, paper cuts? And then crawling through mud would further aggravate the woulds by getting them dirty, leading to infection, leading to death. Having to wash every once and a while is a pretty realistic thing, it'd keep people moving, preventing people from indefinetly camping the airbases and such , forcing them into traveling to their nearest watering hole or face dying to disease

Friends and I were joking around and came up with an idea that might actually be kinda neat.

Similar to how food and water deplete over time. What if a Hygiene meter went down to, and if you get to dirty you would begin to smell and you could attract flies similar to how a dead body does. Players could hear the flies (since they can't smell the game). And also zombies could be more attracted to you if you begin to smell too much also.

You would be able to clean yourself with a water bottle or by at the water well or in ponds/lakes.

What do you guys think, like it at all? Or if you would change something.

EDIT: Also, your chance of catching a cold/getting sick, could also be effected by your cleanliness.

Dafuq? :)

srsly, this isnt The Sims