pale1776

Learning, and an Incentive For Real DayZ Fans

Maybe, but only time will tell. I completely agree - it's good to be prepared. I have sufficient emergency supplies and food available on hand in the case that shit does ever hit the fan. It's quite possible that Ebola will become worse, or that there will be some chain of riots, but to assume that to be the case is fallacious. The War of the Worlds broadcast happened at a point in which public radio broadcasts started to become truly common, and at the time were fairly realistic. Just like some of the first motion pictures, such as the one of the train approaching the camera, made people jump out of their seats, fearing it would come out of the screen and run into them. There was also the fact that Hitler had just recently risen into power and Japan was fast away fighting in Manchuria by 1938, the environment created fears that an invasion was inevitable.

By the way, those kinds of broadcasts aren't illegal. The panic ensued because most of the listeners tuned in after it was announced that they would be playing the broadcast, and thus they were led to believe it was actually occurring. It would only be illegal if you were pushing under the guise that it WAS happening for real.

These kinds of things require the right set of events to occur at the right times. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I don't necessarily believe it will. You really believe there were no documented cases of swine flu in Mexico? There were over 50,000 confirmed cases by 2010, and that's just what they were able to prove. Mexico has far lower medical standards and records than in the United States, so it's inevitable that there will be misinformation when trying to transfer it, even though you can find said information anyway. Even if it was mis-communicated, that doesn't at all mean that it was a lie put forward by the government. I'm not going to argue conspiracies, but I fail to see the reasoning.

If an ISIS fighter gets Ebola and is able to bomb a shopping mall, then they're either at a point where they aren't showing symptoms, or somehow they've managed to get into a public area in a terrible state and still pull off the bomb. Either way, blowing themselves' up is just going to destroy the Ebola or leave very limited trace amounts, and I doubt people are going to try and get any closer to the explosion than they needed to. They'd be better off just bombing the guy at his full strength so they know that he can do it without making himself obvious.

There are far better ways to spread chemicals or biological diseases than bomb a shopping mall with Ebola. Somehow I don't believe you put any actual thought into that, at all.

Yeah, ebola may make the jump, but I.think fear would be the downfall.

And I dont mean click to learn, I.mean open the book to see you can make a fire/blood bag/ splint more efficiently. Ill quote my secondary pist in 60 seconds

You wanna elaborate as to why instead of wasting space and contributing absolutely nothing?

And guys who dont want skills, learn will "lock" the ability they learned. Its up to them to figure how to do it by reading. You click learn and you get the option to say start a fire with a water bottle, but you didnt read that your suppose to.say, push B to blow or keep your back to the sun, or push S to squeeze the bloodbag at 5 second intervals to speed it up but not too fast so they dont die (I can see the crybaby threads now... OMG I SPAMMED ESS AND IT KILLED MAH FRAND I.WANT MOHNY BAK DIS GAYME SUKS)

Or when putting on a splint you place the knots on the outside of the limb and put one above and below the joint. Or when applying a tourniquet, you hold space and rotate your mouse in a circle to cinch it in place.

So basically, learn button would ONLY open up the new function (right click water bottle) but YOU have read to see how (rotate mouse, B to blow, S to squeeze, where to tie the knots on the splint)

Actually, better yet. Put all the functions ingame as somethong all players can do, but put the ways to become better in the book. If the player reads, he sees he pushes B to blow, where to tie the knots, and to stop bloodflow he needs to rotate the mouse. It can be discovered by accident, it can be found in a book, and *Read This* your own brain now has the knowledge, not some character that magically regenerates with amnessia.

Yeah, ebola may make the jump, but I.think fear would be the downfall.

And I dont mean click to learn, I.mean open the book to see you can make a fire/blood bag/ splint more efficiently. Ill quote my secondary pist in 60 seconds

I never said I had a problem with guides that can make the REAL player learn how to do something more efficiently in game, but originally people were making the argument that it should be based on the AVATAR's mental capacity, not the player's. People suggested needing to read a book in order to "unlock" an action, but my point was that that'd essentially be "click to learn" because the game has no way of knowing whether you'd actually read something.

I'm absolutely okay with making some actions complicated, I just don't like the idea of "locking" things that your character supposedly couldn't do because it wouldn't make sense for every single person to know how to do it.

Like Chaingun said, if you already know how to do something, you shouldn't have to "hit action on this book to be able to do it."

While I'd be fine with doing that or simply doing an action a lot might make your character more efficient at a task, a person shouldn't have to do things like that if they know what to do to begin with.

Yeah but why not, Your real life skills (what i call "knowledge" rather than skills, because hey we are all a bunch of armchair survivalists here) do not disappear when your character die, so if the only thing you risk losing is equipment, that's easy to bypass with a group or stashed supplies.

And I'm against that personally, i think failure through your own actions or through the actions of others should be painful, one way trip back to the starting line.

• Like 1

I never said I had a problem with guides that can make the REAL player learn how to do something more efficiently in game, but originally people were making the argument that it should be based on the AVATAR's mental capacity, not the player's. People suggested needing to read a book in order to "unlock" an action, but my point was that that'd essentially be "click to learn" because the game has no way of knowing whether you'd actually read something.

I'm absolutely okay with making some actions complicated, I just don't like the idea of "locking" things that your character supposedly couldn't do because it wouldn't make sense for every single person to know how to do it.

Prototyping as I said would do for that, the game would know you learned how to make the thing from the book because you made it.

Yeah but why not, Your real life skills (what i call "knowledge" rather than skills, because hey we are all a bunch of armchair survivalists here) do not disappear when your character die, so if the only thing you risk losing is equipment, that's easy to bypass with a group or stashed supplies.

And I'm against that personally, i think failure through your own actions or through the actions of others should be painful, one way trip back to the starting line.

I agree if you could learn it all from with one life and then forever know it what would be the point? Nobody would bother, just Google a tutorial and you'd face no issues.

One thing though, these books shouldn't be scattered everywhere considering a lot would be needed. A few here and there but I think you should be able to search bookshelves for them.

"There wasn't anything useful"

"A medical book!"

Etc

Would be great for things like botany, you could just have a picture book until you know what herbs and things are safe and/or useful, that's something your character shouldn't immediately know about.

These and a progressive skill system would be great, more time you spend flying helicopters the less jerky they are, time driven = better handling and braking speeds.

I really don't see why people are so hostile towards ideas like this.

We don't want dual wield, infinite sprint and find more ammo perks just realistic progression and knowledge gathering tools.