Sign in to follow this  
StarLord (DayZ)

Til death do us part - Bone effect

Okay,

I just had to add my quick two cents into this matter. First and foremost, it's Alpha.  Complain ALL you want,

but you click an agreement to accept that every single time you play the SA. How fast they fix issues is irrelevant

as long as you hit that button.

Secondly, and probably most important: How much fun would the game REALLY be if you didn't KNOW your demise

was eventually coming? It's part of human nature. Not to be morbid, but everyone reading this thread one day will pass.

This doesn't mean you complain about life, right? Imagine a world of fully geared bandits and KoS players that always

end up getting the better of you because their character has been around for 4 months, and he's looted everything he

needs to win in any situation he gets into.

Now take that a step further, you have the perfect character. You're no longer struggling to make your bones in the

DayZ world. You know you're set, and you know you're safe. What does your objective become at that point? It's only a

matter of time until YOU turn into a bandit or KoS player. This is the same reason they don't make games like WoW

open PvP, and give you constant objectives, because if that were the case, the only entertainment value you'd find as a

bored player would be demolishing other "less-than" players. They'll find a balance eventually, trust me. They have a lot

of time and money invested into making the SA perfect. Just keep in mind you're the one whose still playing.

Edited by StarLord
  • Like 2

Inb4 graveyard? dont see much point in this topic.

Then you're obviously not seeing all of the posts about people complaining about the bone effect.

Now take that a step further, you have the perfect character. You're no longer struggling to make your bones in the

DayZ world. You know you're set, and you know you're safe. What does your objective become at that point? 

Thats why we need some sorts of barricading and base building added. I mean, realistically it makes sense. We wouldn't run around the woods for ages if it were a real zombie apocalypse, would we?

I would barricade a house, stay inside safe during the daytime, and scavenge for food, water, clothes and ammunition during the night. I would look for more ways to upgrade my barricade, perhaps welded some metal so zombies and other people don't come in to steal my stuff.

Right now, its pointless. I don't really know what to do after i'm fully geared, so i just run around, meet people and help them at need.

Sometimes im almost hoping to get shot, just so i can start all over. If i had a house i could defend, or even the ability to make a camp, it would add to much to the game, and be a new form of endgame.

• Like 4

Secondly, and probably most important: How much fun would the game REALLY be if you didn't KNOW your demise

was eventually coming?

Talk about a horrible excuse of a broken game mechanic?  Anyone actively playing this game and not living as a complete hermit off in some distant corner of the map on a single digit population server understands that their demise could be around the very next corner.  If not from the a bug, the environment, a zed then you have to contend with your fellow players.  We don't know a poorly implemented game mechanic to ensure our demise is coming...

• Like 1

Talk about a horrible excuse of a broken game mechanic?  Anyone actively playing this game and not living as a complete hermit off in some distant corner of the map on a single digit population server understands that their demise could be around the very next corner.  If not from the a bug, the environment, a zed then you have to contend with your fellow players.  We don't know a poorly implemented game mechanic to ensure our demise is coming...

I can get what you're saying, but all of those things don't necessarily ENSURE without a doubt that you'll eventually have to respawn. Not to mention the guys that gear up, hopping from one 1/40 server to the next. I've argued against the limitations set on the bone effect before. I currently think they're set entirely too low, and does need tweeking, but ultimately is a good thing to have.

An example would be after breaking your leg 3-4 times you can no longer sprint.

After breaking your ribs 5-6 times you die slowly.

After breaking you arm 4-5 times you can no longer use two handed weapons, or the bigger backpacks.

There's potential and purpose here, that's all I'm saying. If you're whining because it exists at all, well I have to disagree with you.

• Like 3

I can get what you're saying, but all of those things don't necessarily ENSURE without a doubt that you'll eventually have to respawn.

Well technically neither does the "spinal" damage either, because it depends upon you actually being hit in a certain way.  Which could be completely avoidable by staying away from zeds or other players to deal with.  As I said, unless you are living the life of a hermit we already have enough ways to die without this one.

ENOUGH.  Get back on track and stop arguing please or I'll remove the lot.

• Like 4

question.

why would you hide something i comment, which is, if not LESS pointless then the topic of this thread, and the other 50,000 that include the same detail of thought.
now i 100 understand my comment of "disliking mayonnaise" was pointless. but look at the topic of this thread.

it's a complaint about a game that is no where near finished. not even 1% done. in the total over view of this game, the process's that have lead to where the game is right now if i logged in on any server shows just how, and excuse the bluntness, fucking pointless this game is.

i'm not talking about the KOS or the BANDITS or anyone who wants to call adding some scripts "hacking" (side note; it's not, learn to computer), i'm talking about the millions of little things that make you stop what you're doing and say to yourself / anyone on your skype or team speak, "you've got to be kidding me.." or as some would say "wtf".

let's discuss,

1 - as it's said SEVERAL times a day, this game is not finished, as pointed out in this very thread you even accept the fact it's not EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to play this mystery box called Dayz
2 - tracking and paths of zombies, what can we say, walls they can somehow wall into, yet a simple "step after step" aka stairs or ladder, can be a challenge

3 - random moments you some how break a bone or leg; or as i call them, bugs. (dev's, feel free to use the word "bug" as needed)

this hasn't even gotten onto the topic at hand yet, how this game has no "end", it purely is just that. nothing. it's a game about nothing, shit all, absolutely bloody nothin'.
why the heck do any of us even play it. to kill others?, to watch people log as soon as you KOS, to run around with an axe?.. there is no GOAL of this game, other than the mental challenge of how long you can sit in front of your desk and do the same actions over and over.

now ANYONE who has played the mod knows this. anyone who's played any of the ARMA series be it old or 3, knows this. these games are about SHIT ALL.
but somehow, you find it fun, it gets inside you and it makes you want to do this better or try getting this out come differently, BUT WAIT, what if i do THIS that way?!?!

now lets skip some of the repeated and honestly, pointless info in the OP, and focus for a second on what was said as "the only entertainment value".

there is ZERO entertainment value in this game. it's a simulation. goolge the meaning of "simulation" if you need to know what it is. 

i could sit here for a good hour writing all my thoughts on what everyone is saying and help out every little gamer boy and girl by posting all the info i know to help answer their cry of "this games so bad right now" considering that when they paid for it via steam it states "unfinished", however if i did this, helped and commented back with the much needed flame of what we call, stand alone, the question is raised, am i any different from those who complain and can't read any interview or dev report or even the first "what dayz SA will look like" interviews/reports.

my point is this.
base building has been bought up, and to be openly honest with who ever the hell read all this, most of these "cry" threads have been answered before you even thought about hitting "create new thread"

do you're research, if you actually want to play this game, you'll know what to type into google, or hell.. even find on this site. 

Thats why we need some sorts of barricading and base building added. I mean, realistically it makes sense. We wouldn't run around the woods for ages if it were a real zombie apocalypse, would we?

I would barricade a house, stay inside safe during the daytime, and scavenge for food, water, clothes and ammunition during the night. I would look for more ways to upgrade my barricade, perhaps welded some metal so zombies and other people don't come in to steal my stuff.

Right now, its pointless. I don't really know what to do after i'm fully geared, so i just run around, meet people and help them at need.

Sometimes im almost hoping to get shot, just so i can start all over. If i had a house i could defend, or even the ability to make a camp, it would add to much to the game, and be a new form of endgame.

Yeah I know what you mean. My survival instinct tells me not to run around high population areas as it will increase my chance of getting killed. On the other hand I'm almost pretty much fully geared, (basically just a scope away), but then what?

Risk losing everything just to help the odd fresh spawn?

Then boredom kicks in and I take a break from the game.

That's what disappointed me about my tent getting wiped after maintenance. The tent gave me a reason to keep playing, it was almost the start of base-building.

I am happy with the bone dynamic as it will force me to start again.

Damn but I get attached to my toons!

• Like 1

Okay,

I just had to add my quick two cents into this matter. First and foremost, it's Alpha.  Complain ALL you want,

but you click an agreement to accept that every single time you play the SA. How fast they fix issues is irrelevant

as long as you hit that button.

was eventually coming?

- thats actually what happens even without a bugged, non-regenerating backbone. I assume that is what you are discussing here. I fail to see your argument here, it's absolute none-sense. You may turn your head around the wrong corner and you might be instantly dead, backbonebug or not.

imagine a world of fully geared bandits and KoS players that always

end up getting the better of you because their character has been around for 4 months, and he's looted everything he

needs to win in any situation he gets into.

-I dont have to imagine that, it's mostly the case. Fun fact: 2 shots with your oh so measy Blaze95 will still kill them instantly. You know, thankfully in DayZ gear actually doesn't do that much. You can outsmart and outplay your enemy no matter how greatly geared they are. You just need any firearm.

DayZ world. You know you're set, and you know you're safe. What does your objective become at that point?

-killing people and not trying to die to bugs, my own carelessness or other players.

It's only a matter of time until YOU turn into a bandit or KoS player.

-so what? Whats wrong about that? Why do you assume it's wrong? I sometimes KOS, I have mostly in my hours, but now I'm a gentleman bandit, taking ammo and gunparts but I'm never lying nor unreasonable in what I take. And even if I was...so what? People like the adrenaline of battle in dayz.

This is the same reason they don't make games like WoW

open PvP,

-comparing two whole diffrent concepts

and give you constant objectives, because if that were the case, the only entertainment value you'd find as a

bored player would be demolishing other "less-than" players.

-I wonder if you are aware that the keystone of dayz is actually FREEDOM. Not the zombies. People play it for the freedom. It's the nature of a sandbox game.

They'll find a balance eventually, trust me. They have a lot

of time and money invested into making the SA perfect. Just keep in mind you're the one whose still playing.

-Meh, tbh I only play because battleeye made some updated that fucked over dayzero and because I can dress my char any way I like in the SA. But I guess I've played enough SA with my 1500 hours, I actually played too much. To me the whole issue seems to be an alphabug and no big deal, as it will just be removed at some point.

Edited by Khanarac

question.

why would you hide something i comment, which is, if not LESS pointless then the topic of this thread, and the other 50,000 that include the same detail of thought.

now i 100 understand my comment of "disliking mayonnaise" was pointless. but look at the topic of this thread.

it's a complaint about a game that is no where near finished. not even 1% done. in the total over view of this game, the process's that have lead to where the game is right now if i logged in on any server shows just how, and excuse the bluntness, fucking pointless this game is.

i'm not talking about the KOS or the BANDITS or anyone who wants to call adding some scripts "hacking" (side note; it's not, learn to computer), i'm talking about the millions of little things that make you stop what you're doing and say to yourself / anyone on your skype or team speak, "you've got to be kidding me.." or as some would say "wtf".

let's discuss,

1 - as it's said SEVERAL times a day, this game is not finished, as pointed out in this very thread you even accept the fact it's not EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to play this mystery box called Dayz

2 - tracking and paths of zombies, what can we say, walls they can somehow wall into, yet a simple "step after step" aka stairs or ladder, can be a challenge

3 - random moments you some how break a bone or leg; or as i call them, bugs. (dev's, feel free to use the word "bug" as needed)

this hasn't even gotten onto the topic at hand yet, how this game has no "end", it purely is just that. nothing. it's a game about nothing, shit all, absolutely bloody nothin'.

why the heck do any of us even play it. to kill others?, to watch people log as soon as you KOS, to run around with an axe?.. there is no GOAL of this game, other than the mental challenge of how long you can sit in front of your desk and do the same actions over and over.

now ANYONE who has played the mod knows this. anyone who's played any of the ARMA series be it old or 3, knows this. these games are about SHIT ALL.

but somehow, you find it fun, it gets inside you and it makes you want to do this better or try getting this out come differently, BUT WAIT, what if i do THIS that way?!?!

now lets skip some of the repeated and honestly, pointless info in the OP, and focus for a second on what was said as "the only entertainment value".

there is ZERO entertainment value in this game. it's a simulation. goolge the meaning of "simulation" if you need to know what it is. 

i could sit here for a good hour writing all my thoughts on what everyone is saying and help out every little gamer boy and girl by posting all the info i know to help answer their cry of "this games so bad right now" considering that when they paid for it via steam it states "unfinished", however if i did this, helped and commented back with the much needed flame of what we call, stand alone, the question is raised, am i any different from those who complain and can't read any interview or dev report or even the first "what dayz SA will look like" interviews/reports.

my point is this.

base building has been bought up, and to be openly honest with who ever the hell read all this, most of these "cry" threads have been answered before you even thought about hitting "create new thread"

do you're research, if you actually want to play this game, you'll know what to type into google, or hell.. even find on this site. 

"there is ZERO entertainment value in this game" ...

You sir, are the singular embodiment of the problem in this particular community, and someone who doesn't articulate a response before you go off and try to put someone in their place.

I've never read more of an idiotic drool that's formulated itself into an opinion. Which is exactly what it is, and exactly why you're not employed by Bohemia. Also, if you had really read the original post, which you made it very obvious that you didn't, you would have taken away that my argument is that there is SOME value to the bone condition, and although it's currently a mechanical issue, it can have a legitimate purpose in the game.

Someone please take this thread down. If I feel the need to validate my opinion I'll do so on another thread. I can't take this 1% that's just looking for an argument.

Edited by StarLord

Seriously, was the OP hidden? People seem to be talking about whole diffrent stuff.

Also starlord, I dunno but you mightve misread alascer's post. Believe it or not, it was actually a post in favour of dayz. (the way I understood it)

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 1

Seriously, was the OP hidden? People seem to be talking about whole diffrent stuff.

Also starlord, I dunno but you mightve misread alascer's post. Believe it or not, it was actually a post in favour of dayz. (the way I understood it)

No I don't think so. He's criticizing the entirety of the OP with a vague platitudes. Not to mention saying that DayZ has zero entertainment value.

That's someone who has no idea what they're talking about, has never worked in a marketing, production, or business environment.

Well, he meant that a zombie apocalypse is not supposed to be entertaining, and even dean hall said this aswell. He said he wanted to bring other feelings to the game than just "fun" and I assume his post is written in the same spirit. Either it's you or me who should read alascer's post more carefully. Now, go ahead and address my responses xD

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 2

Well, he meant that a zombie apocalypse is not supposed to be entertaining, and even dean hall said this aswell. He said he wanted to bring other feelings to the game than just "fun" and I assume his post is written in the same spirit. Either it's you or me who should read alascer's post more carefully. Now, go ahead and address my responses xD

The singular idea of a video game is entertainment. Otherwise it can be packaged and sent to the military as a training aid. When Dean says he wants to incorporate

other feelings than just fun I'm interpreting that as emotions. The game shouldn't JUST be fun, it should be difficult, it should be frustrating, it should be nerve wrecking,

it should be exciting. Without the value of entertainment the game would NOT sell. I pay money to be entertained. That's doesn't always mean happy.

Tying this in to the OP

There is value in the bone condition mechanic, but understandably isn't quite there yet. Meaning it's not a yes or no issue. It's a How do we get it right issue. So again, while there's value

there, it's broken, but you STILL click that [ACCEPT] button saying I know it's broken, but let's do this.

Edited by StarLord

Yea" no entertainment value" is wrong, as stated like that. I give you that

Imo there is no value whatsoever in that backbone mechanic though. It's obsolete and a "probelmatic design decision".

And seriously. don't state that acceptbutton shit. You know that argument is a nonestarter, We accept every kind of shit on a daily basis to get access to some stuff. Do you seriously think I have REALLY consented to any terms of service of anyone, ever? No, I just click that shit so I can play the game I already bought.

Everyone does that.

Edited by Khanarac

SQF is the scripting language the game uses. SQF is depreciated and used for prototyping. Designers get the script functions working as it is much easier to play around with a script (no need to recompile etc) then they are handed off to the programming team for engine development.

FSM = Finite State Machine. Basically a model of states and transitions between them.

• Like 1