Ari (DayZ)

Why tactics matter.

My group enjoys the hunt, the loot, and the thrills.

We roll on a somewhat private server, about 15 of us in the group. We have set up a big presence on the server.

Our (average) vehicles:

-1 helicopter

-2 Land rovers

-2 Yamahas

-1 Ural

-1 UAZ

-2 PBX(stached on coast)

Something our group has that some lack is tactics. We raid the NW airfield on a regular basis. But we don't just half-ass it, we go full out. During peak server hours (50-60 people, all hostile, mostly in groups of 5-6), we use everything.

We break our group into smaller squads, and use either teamspeak or vent to communicate.

The squads:

(everyone has NVGs)

2 sniper squads= (Irish 1 and Irish 2)

-2 people per squad

-both have ghillie

consists of:

sniper

-DMR

-PDW

spotter

-MP5SD/M4A1 SD

-M1911

-No backback, instead has launcher.

-Rangefinders

2 infiltration squads= (Smoke 1 and Smoke 2)

-2 people per squad

-both wear camo

consists of:

pointman

-M4A1 SD/MP5SD

-M9SD

support

-AK-74/M16/M1014

-M9SD

2 support squads (for when things get messy)= (Shepherd 1 and Shepherd 2)

-2 people per

consists of:

heavy

-M240

-launcher

-PDW

Medic

-AK/M16/MP5

-M1911

-lots of bandages, blood packs, epi pens, morphine, painkillers

1 heli "Casevac" squad (for when SHTF)= (Papa 12)

-3 people

-1 pilot(very good)

-2 gunners

(all 3's gear:

-AK/M16/MP5/L8/M1014

-Revolver

-Food/drinks/medicine

1. Our sniper teams use the Yamaha's to reach over watch positions near the airfield, searching for other snipers as they do.

2. Once 1 is accomplished, The support and infil teams load into the Offroads, 1 squad of each type per car. They then head to different ends of the airfield, where the infil teams eject.

3. Support teams drive the offroads into the treeline and wait for call for help. Infil teams, with sniper over watch, systematically search the hangars/ ACT/ barracks. Any threats, whether Zed or player, are eliminated.

4. Once the looting is done, the infil teams regroup at the ACT, where one of the offroads picks them up.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Contingencies:

1: Minor crisis

the affected infil team reaches a defendable location, while the other infil team stays away. One support team deploys to evac them.

2: Major crisis

both infil teams regroup at a defendable location. Both support teams deploy for evac.

3: When Shit Hits The Fan

same as #2, but with a twist. The support teams do not go for direct intervention and evac, but set up a safe LZ. The chopper team lifts off from our camp and flies to the airfield(takes 3-4 minutes). Once they arrive, they either provide support or land for evac.

Me and my GF ( yes, my GF plays this with me) are Irish 1, while my twin brothers are Irish 2.

My friend and his cousins are Smoke 1 and 2.

My cousins are Shepherd 1 and 2.

My friend, his sister, and his Uncle are Papa 12.

My IGN: Lobo

Might catch me on the US servers when I'm not on my groups.

Feel free to post your groups tactics.

I might post more of ours.

What you say about your 'private' server.

Thats not allowed.

"private server"

yeah go on a public server and get your asses kicked you cheaters

"Private server" just for "People you know". I believe these are two big problems I see with

this situation. I didn't see it in your post, whats the name of the server?

We do play on public servers as well, ideally US12, Atlanta 22, and Dallas 21, because they are a) hardcore b) 15-30 players at all times c) fun, and d) populated by some of the most ruthless bandits, who we enjoy fighting.

And when I say private, I mean hardly any new players join it because it has an inverse timezone.

I think you guys do all that farming shit and "bandit" thing on a 20 player server with 20 of you. Thats really pathetic.

A nice report, I hope to meet you on the battlefield someday :D. Good to know there is other squared away groups.

My group enjoys the hunt' date=' the loot, and the thrills.

[/quote']

Huh? All this just to lootpile NWA? 15 people, squads, snipers, helis? You must be joking. That's not tactics, that's just a HUGE overkill.

4 people with 2 cars are more than enough to lootpile barracks 24/7 with one 10-minute pause per two hours, and with absolutely zero risks. 2 of them are just camping, 2 are looting without ANY support (no, those campers don't watch the airport itself, so they are relatively safe). And everything can be done on a full server, because in case of death your looters don't lose anything.

Huh? All this just to lootpile NWA? 15 people' date=' squads, snipers, helis? You must be joking. That's not tactics, that's just a HUGE overkill.

4 people with 2 cars are more than enough to lootpile barracks 24/7 with one 10-minute pause per two hours, and with absolutely zero risks. 2 of them are just camping, 2 are looting without ANY support (no, those campers don't watch the airport itself, so they are relatively safe). And everything can be done on a full server, because in case of death your looters don't lose anything.

[/quote']

You must understand, we play on a server with 40-50 people who are ALL HOSTILE, as well as the server being Hardcore, meaning Zeds will rip you're head off almost immediately.

To clear things up:

-The server isn't actually private, it is just used by generally the same people because:

a)it is GMT +7, even though it is located in Dallas.

b)mostly used at night for my TZ

c)Hardcore RPG

The massive effort in the OP is used under the following conditions

1.Nightime/Dusk

2.50+ online players of which

3.At least 50% are suspected members of other (Hostile)groups.

We roll with this group to ensure that we do not lose a member.

All the gear is found on this server. We are the second largest group. The other group is hostile to us and has the other 2 choppers currently.

When the above conditions are not met, we use smaller groups. We might hit Cherno, Elektro, and the NW airfield all at the same time, with the chopper visiting the Balota airstrip.

And to anyone who thinks this is overkill, let me explain something to you. DayZ is a mod for a MILITARY SIM. If we want to pretend like we are a small military force, why not. We play this game for the realism, the mechanics, and the FUN of it all.

And we rarely play on other servers, so it's not like we are affecting any of you. We know about 60-70% of the servers regulars-

"Hey Jack, I owned you at the airfield last night."

"Shut up, you son of a bitch."

"Boys, Jack's father just called, his game is cancelled."

-And stuff like that.

You must understand' date=' we play on a server with 40-50 people who are ALL HOSTILE, as well as the server being Hardcore, meaning Zeds will rip you're head off almost immediately.

[/quote']

It doesn't matter who are hostile and who aren't. The tactics are simple: keep one man watching a car in a forest nearby, and let two looters do their job in the barracks. The looters should carry only pistols for basic self-defense, mainly against server-hoppers and zeds. Once they'll find something, they'll stash it in the car. You don't need to cover them, their lives are worthless. If someone will kill them, the fourth guy can quickly pick them up on the coast with a second car.

Zeds? Zeds aren't the challenge, survivors are.

We've tried this many times with 3 and 4 people, it worked like a charm. You can have another couple of looters in the second barracks if you want. Seriously, you don't need 15 people and a heli just to raid some place, even if it's NWA.

Ari i'm going to say that even on a server with 50 people your group represents 30% of the population, thus 30% vs a collection of 35 randoms who will not team up to fight you = tactics not proven or required since no one could outgun you.

Squad and platoon sized tactics are for more "standard" ARMA II games not DayZ since unless your fighting another group of equal size your tactics cannot be proven effective against equal odds. Since any attack (retarded plans not withstanding) will work on a 15 vs 1-4 scenario, how about you try that out of a server where there are another 15-20 people in 1 large group? then your tactics are acceptable but hardly something to make a thread about.

We do play on public servers as well' date=' ideally US12, Atlanta 22, and Dallas 21, because they are b) 15-30 players at all times

And when I say private, I mean hardly anyone uses it because it has an inverse timezone.

[/quote']

You must understand' date=' we play on a server with 40-50 people who are ALL HOSTILE

[/quote']

Contradicting yourself...

Ari i'm going to say that even on a server with 50 people your group represents 30% of the population' date=' thus 30% vs a collection of 35 randoms who will not team up to fight you = tactics not proven or required since no one could outgun you.

Squad and platoon sized tactics are for more "standard" ARMA II games not DayZ since unless your fighting another group of equal size your tactics cannot be proven effective against equal odds. Since any attack (retarded plans not withstanding) will work on a 15 vs 1-4 scenario, how about you try that out of a server where there are another 15-20 people in 1 large group? then your tactics are acceptable but hardly something to make a thread about.

[/quote']

Did you not read my second post where I mentioned we are the 2nd largest group, and (not mentioned) ahead of the 3rd by only 2 people.

Top 5 Groups on the server:

Gunmen=17+ people (2 Helicopters, Uber-hostile)

The Cartel(Us)=average 12-15 people (1 Helicopter)

Tribe=10-13 people (Uber-hostile)

G4H(Guns4Hire) =~8 people(hostile)

NMH(NoMoreHeros)=~8 people(hostile)

In total, about 55-61 people on a 75 slot server, sometimes more, sometimes less. You might think of our server as what happens in a zombie apocalypse when several rival factions form.

We have had instances where either Gunmen, Tribe, or both have launched a raid on the airfield at the same time, and Shit Hits The Fan. In these situations, the only thing than can save us is a gun run by our heli or a well placed rocket from one of the support teams. Remember, when we do this, we have basically two separate groups raiding the airfield. We raid EVERY SINGLE BUILDING, be it hangar or shed.

Tribe is better equipped. Almost every single one of them has an L8 or FAL or MK48. Gunmen has 2 helicopters. And compared to them, we run light, with little ammo, mediocre-upper teir weapons with maybe 1-2 mags.

You people just jump at the chance to tear into someone don't you? Why are you all giving him a hard time? Because he enjoys the game in a different way than you?

Who cares if it's overkill, that's how they play and that's not a reason to turn into a 14 year old and start calling him names and crap.

Ari i'm going to say that even on a server with 50 people your group represents 30% of the population' date=' thus 30% vs a collection of 35 randoms who will not team up to fight you = tactics not proven or required since no one could outgun you.

We do play on public servers as well, ideally US12, Atlanta 22, and Dallas 21, because they are b) 15-30 players at all times

And when I say private, I mean hardly anyone uses it because it has an inverse timezone.

You must understand' date=' we play on a server with 40-50 people who are ALL HOSTILE

[/quote']

Contradicting yourself...

Next time you quote someone, try not changing their words to fit their argument.

Welp having played shittons of ARMA (mostly warfare mode). I consider myself a tactician. Your plan is good, however, any 2 man group could take you down. It seems that u guys roll in WAY too obvious. It appears that you overuse the vehicles (unless u disembark in a heavily wooded forest FAR away), and rely on the fact that u have a chopper. A single sniper could easily end any hope of an exfil and could easily wipe out your squad. I have ahd plenty of times where my overwatch has failed and i have lost a good chopper team or friend (lol). Overall, your reliance on vehicles and snipers will be your death.

Did you not read my second post where I mentioned we are the 2nd largest group' date=' and (not mentioned) ahead of the 3rd by only 2 people.

[/quote']

Did you read my post? It doesn't matter. Absolutely. You risk nothing. The less people you take, the less people you lose.

We were farming at the server with a large clan of hackers (The Crazy Peppers on EU9), and they killed our looters once. We called for backup, picked up our looters, equipped them, and 15 minutes later we were having fun in full-fledged NWA battle.

I think this is great, the planning, and the way your team members know their place is great! Your team seems very experienced but, how do you go pick up someone if they die?

Sending a large amount of people to loot the airfields isn't very tactical...

In all honesty, I think this is BS. In order for 15 people to have all that loot, you'd need to have seriously camped some areas, done a lot of server hopping and etc.

But now I'll be watching anywhere I'd be on those servers if I was over watching the Airfield. I'll say Hi to your snipers at 1200 yards.

By the way, you're an idiot. Why spend all your time doing that crap in NW for more "mediocre" upper tier loot... instead of doing 2-3 man map patrols for where-ever your enemies camps are... I mean, that's what I'd do. And when you found THAT, is when I would stage this ... 12 man raid? No gun in this game is Mediocre, all bullets kill.

I've killed many who've out-gunned me by superior movements and a Lee-enfield. I've found SD M4s, DMRs, etc on these people. It's not hard.

When SHTF, you realize it's because you're driving into the NW airbase... while there's "highly armed guys out there." Cars can be heard a while a way. I'll be looking for your... ATVing snipers... (LOL)

I don't have tons of friends, but when I do play with others we roll like this:

1 sniper/overwatch

1 looter

Watch can look for Z's and other survivors and guide/cover the looter

Why are you giving him shit?

I love how he actually has a team to cover him!

Games are meant to be fun.

This is there way of fun so be it!

Sending a large amount of people to loot the airfields isn't very tactical...

But being geared and having numbers is certainly a tactic...

I don't disagree with the op or the detractors, but this sounds more like a group that should be playing regular arma, where they will need some deeper tactics than "overwhelm section of map".

The interesting thing will be the response thread where two guys with basic gear and guerilla tactics wipe out an overly confident group like this.

Why are you giving him shit?

I love how he actually has a team to cover him!

Games are meant to be fun.

This is there way of fun so be it!

Not giving shit because of the team play, but because he said they play on unpopulated servers ( for easy looting) but sometimes they go on populated servers.