Sign in to follow this  
TwinSpire

Any point of 2 drum mags?

How I feel when wielding an AKM with drum mags:

heavy_weapons_guy_by_rhapsidous-d4aaym2.

I have pretty much decided I will only use the one drum mag.  I tend to be a lone wolf out in the NW so any engagements are generally surprise and quick.

Will see how it goes.

Suppression and cover fire. However this probably wont be common as thats very amo intensive.

However I won't ever use an ak again unless they change it, its abysmal at hitting anything further then 50M.

I beg to differ, scope+bipod+prone+75drum = decent medium range , however cant seem to find a bipod since .49, have everything else.  in .48 at nwaf iv had a few 200m+ kills shooting people in the fire station tower and air traffic control building... tapping the button can produce semi auto fire w/o the massive recoil, granted its no moisen, but usable, i prefer it in city shootouts.

I beg to differ, scope+bipod+prone+75drum = decent medium range , however cant seem to find a bipod since .49, have everything else.  in .48 at nwaf iv had a few 200m+ kills shooting people in the fire station tower and air traffic control building... tapping the button can produce semi auto fire w/o the massive recoil, granted its no moisen, but usable, i prefer it in city shootouts.

I have tryed multiple times to shoot people, for example, from the rooftop of the police station to the hospital in Elecktro, and not hit them with a single bullet despite being a very competent shot. From simi-auto tapping to full auto spray. I could have easily taken the guy out with a magnum, or even better a mosin even if it was iron-sighted :/

The amount of dexterity is how "heavy" your gun is in-game.

For example, you'll be able to move & turn more quickly with an AKM with a 30rnd mag as opposed to an AKM with a 75rnd drum mag, bipod, & PSO scope.

Having minimal dexterity is more essential in close quarters than it is in open terrain.

The more attachments you add to your gun, the heavier it becomes, basically.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, I didn't know there was this mechanic in DayZ. I'm assuming it's a carry over thing from Arma? I never really played that much, just DayZ Mod and now DayZ SA.

I guess the reduction in dexterity overrides the floating zone setting? I did notice that the crossbow has EXTREME floating despite being set to minimum.

drum mags are more space efficient so i don't really care about standard mags

and no, the dexterity is exactly the same with 30 rnd mag as the 75 rng mag. the only thing that even affects its dexterity is the bipod which makes it turn slightly slower

save yourself the mental gymnastics and pick the superior item like most human beans do

if you're ever in a position where 75 rounds isn't enough, you made some BAD decisions leading to that moment.

Hey I had a standoff in the prison where 5 of us inside the building vs 4 of them outside.

Had 2 drum mags which proved very valuable in spamming suppressive fire through the door. But in the end, I cannot think of any other situation to use it in.

Minus is you must have 4 slots empty in your inventory when you reload or the drum mag drops to the ground.

To conclude, keep the 1 drum mag in your inventory and have 30 round mag in your AK.

If the firefight goes long, you just reload and use that 75 rounds bad boy.

Edited by Calvin Candie

I am very fond of using the AKM with pso scope for sniping. From the top of the biggest building in cherno (the one with the sign on it) I can confidently pick off people anywhere in town with a few shots. Not sure what the longest kill has been but its been pretty far. I never carry more than 2x 75 round drums. Rarely do I need the 2nd except for those "Oh shit there is 10 guys in the shed" moment. 

When they were much more common, I typically grabbed the ammo out of a drum mag a dumped it. Something about drum magazines is a large turnoff for me. Seems too goofy. I prefer standard magazines.

To have twice as many bullets i would think.

Edited by Trizzo

Two of those bad boys really would have come in handy during the last flash mob I went to. I only had one drum mag but ended up being the sole survivor of the overwatch squad, killed around 12 players (6 armed hostiles, 5 bambis who went into psycho killer mode after we got raided, and 1 friendly fire [he aimed his rifle at me even after i'd stated my position so i had no choice, made up for it later by giving him my makarov]). Went through 200 rounds and had to take out my drum mag to reload repeatedly. The armed players only took about 30 rounds total to kill, most of my ammo was expended on the fast-moving bambis in close quarters, where I didn't have the opportunity to aim careful shots and was just trying to save my friends and myself from getting knocked out and/or axed. One bambi at the end surprised me trying to knock me out and I wasted like 40 rounds putting him down. I'm amazed that I survived but I am definitely finding a second drum mag to bring to the next event or PVP situation I get involved in.

Anyone notice that you can refill the drum mag while it's still on the gun? Just found that out last night, pretty sweet. I'm not sure if it's a bug though.

It's difficult to be precise when you're trying to out-aim 10 players at once. :D

Tell the story, dammit! :)