Sign in to follow this  
Synton

hdd to ssd

Hi guys

im thinking of getting a 500gb ssd to install my os and dayz on. I think my hdd is causing the game to stutter when i enter a big city, loading textures etc. And with stutter i dont mean overal fps. Can someone tell if its worth it yes or no?

Edited by Synton

As far as im aware it will only help you with load times. I grabbed a hybrid drive a while back and there want much of a framerate difference at all, maybe a little higher. But hell yes it loads everything up a lot faster, maybe 30-40% quicker for Arma2, L4D loads in about 4 or 5 seconds after the initial connecting part of the load bar  :)

Hi guys

im thinking of getting a 500gb ssd to install my os and dayz on. I think my hdd is causing the game to stutter when i enter a big city, loading textures etc. And with stutter i dont mean overal fps. Can someone tell if its worth it yes or no?

You can't never have to much storage in my opinion..but i'm no sure about running DayZ and the OS in the same ssd. In general i never run programs in the same SSD as the OS, because security.. and trying to keep my OS as fast as possible. But if you have the cash.. i guess you could get a SSD just for DayZ.

Edited by Cpanther

Can get it for 150 euros, its alot of money. Once everything is loaded the fps is somewhat ok. Any ppl here with experience from switching to ssd for this game?

I switched to SSD for Arma 2, 3 and DayZ a while back and I'd say it's definitely worth it. It won't increase your frame rates, but the game feels a helluva lot smoother.

You don't need 500Gb though, I'm running my OS, Arma 2 and all expansions/DLC and Arma 3 on a 128Gb SSD.

• Like 1

ive used my ssd as os. and hdd for games. ive now swapped it around. i have enough ram to have os in ram and load off sdd, bus speeds arent really that much a problem. 
i have also noticed. LOTS AND LOTS of small files will kill your SDD faster. its only a matter of time. life expectancy of a SSD isnt actually that long. 

so yeah. put only games/apps and large single files on it. works awesome

yes loading times is all you will notice.

though if you have 2 ssd's. one for games and one for OS. you may see a significant improvement. depending on your ram speed and bus speeds.

I switched to SSD for Arma 2, 3 and DayZ a while back and I'd say it's definitely worth it. It won't increase your frame rates, but the game feels a helluva lot smoother.

You don't need 500Gb though, I'm running my OS, Arma 2 and all expansions/DLC and Arma 3 on a 128Gb SSD.

I've been getting some fram spikes for a a few builds now. Randomly I'll drop to half frames. 0.48 it was literally every 5-6 seconds. 0.49 is better with spikes only around every 20 seconds. You think an SSD might alleviate this problem?

i've just upgraded my pc including  an ssd and frames are still shit in city's (even streaming the entire game on a ram drive) - quite disappointing really, though it still is marginally better than it was before, but not much given how extensively I upgraded.

Edited by Calibre

If you have enough ram remove the page file, I have done this on 8GB and 16GB never had a problem. I would reconsider this if I rendered big videos or such like but for normal stuff and gaming it makes things slicker.

Well there are quite a few people that say the performance increased alot when they switched to an SSD. Id like to see those people reply here :D

If its not worth it, ill just keep my HDD and wait till the game is released to see if its optimised by then.

I went from a slow 5200 spin hdd to an 840 evo. Load lag has disappeared all together and has made the game a much more enjoyable experience.

DayZ is a must on a SSD, in my opinion. It reduces some (not all) of the in-game stutter and makes loading incredibly short (almost eliminating it altogether).

I'm using a Samsung 850 on an early generation Marvell Sata 3 port, so I'm not getting the full SSD speeds :p

Edited by t1337Dude

What brand and size gets you the most storage per $ today? Im looking for a ssd myself. What Is cheaper, a 500gb or 4x128gb (raid0) disks? idk haha :D

I need space! Sure I could move some stuff over to another disk, but the point in having ssd is to load game files fast, then they must be stored on the ssd or what? I got 80 games on steam(300gb) and a few games not from steam =P

Edited by kimmaz

Im getting the samsung evo 500gb, hope it will improve my game performance like other ppl say