Sign in to follow this  
.Ender.

Few random issues/questions for a "born again" player (search was not very helpful)

So I haven't played since last October... bought a house, cars, got a gf (though she supports my gaming during the week haha)... so I just hadn't been able to game much at all and to be honest my short break from DayZ just sort of turned into a long term break up almost lol.

I was excited to get back into the SA and I've been through the mod since almost day one. Game seems to really be making progress and I watched a few videos of where the game is heading (can't wait for vehicles soon!!).

The last few nights I've tried getting back into the game, I've noticed a few things however that have me perplexed. I've been searching a lot and even with quotes I seem to be out of luck with reliable search results. It'll pull up tons of random threads not related at all even filtering the forum sections.

Zombie Bodies: When I kill a zed (which thankfully don't seem to be glitching through walls or super zombies anymore lol), the new 'rag doll' thing must be buggy. Immediately following its death (redeath? :rolleyes: ) the body just slides downhill. Then its not even lootable (not that I find anything on bodies anymore..haven't yet). Is this a major known issue with the bodies sliding down?

**Side Note: these suckers can still see you 100's (yes many) yards away in the day light. I've literally seen a zed get agroed across a city/field. But at least at night they appear to be almost completely blind and deaf cause Ive walked nearly INTO one even with a flashlight, and they don't seem to care. Even flares don't seem to really attract them. And they seem to rarely even follow you into a building or open doors if you shut it behind yourself.

Fireplaces/Camp fires: I have chopped wood and picked up the wood/sticks. I have matches. But having either does not give me the option to create/build a fire. Do I need more materials like rocks or something?

*Suggestion: I would love to be able to utilize the stoves and fireplaces in buildings by adding wood/match. Since body temperature is such a big thing now, I see one in almost every building. It doesn't really make sense to not be able to stay dry (lots of rain I'm noticing....) and make a fire. I'm guessing they may implement this some day.

Looting: I will be on a server with little to no players. Ill hit up a new town and almost every building or shack has little to no loot. Then I may hit a few things here and there, but places like the grocery store or apt's have no valuable items like compasses, clothes, etc. Just tons and tons of sodas. Even after a restart, I'll be the only player on. When I leave a city for a 100m or so and come back just to verify, many places still have zilch to loot.

3rd Person: personally, I love 3rd person. I know its not as realistic, but I enjoy seeing the character plus I have a tendency to pan a lot while running or moving about. I've noticed if I have a weapon in my hand (any type), and put it away using the same number (like 1 for rifle, hitting 1 again to put it away) my guys hands go up like hes trying to fight or in a defense mode. Its VERY annoying because he wont put them away unless I stand still for like 30+ second. He's basically 'raising' his melee/hands but I cant get them to go back down without changing menus or messing around and it'll randomly go back to normal stance (or as stated, I just stand there and he seems to relax a minute or less later).

Journal: there was an option before (mod) to have a journal. Right now you hit "J" and it opens up the screen but theres literally no interaction or anything to do. Since I don't see the zed count, blood level, etc that the screen used to show in the HUD, I'd like to track things in my Journal. Is this not an enabled/functional feature at this time despite the controls showing 'J' for Journal?

If someone has a link to any or all of these I'd be happy to read through the known issues/discussions. I know the hypo/hyper temperature thing is broken right now. I am excited to hear that vehicles are coming (Ive passed up a few parts since I know they're useless right now lol). But just to play a little more normal right now I thought I'd get these things out of my system as I am basically a 'new' player all over again.

For the thing about his hands going up, spacebar toggles between raised and lowered. So if you take out your melee, hit spacebar, then on the first swing you won't have to wait for him to raise his arms, they will already be raised.

I don't think loot spawn/respawn is working properly, and the journal doesn't work. If you find a pen and paper you can use that with the benefit of your killer being able to loot it and read it.

Zombies don't carry loot so nobody has really brought up the sliding or anything. A lot of people whine about dying to them now though.

• Like 1

So I haven't played since last October... bought a house, cars, got a gf (though she supports my gaming during the week haha)... so I just hadn't been able to game much at all and to be honest my short break from DayZ just sort of turned into a long term break up almost lol.

Zombies bodies sliding is a well known issue a pain i know but it isnt game breaking so i doubt we will see a fix till beta( hope i am wrong though lol )

To start a fire you need to combine sticks and a rag or bandage to make a fire kit ,this appears on ground then you add firewood and then put matches in hand and you will have option to ignite.

Hmm this one sounds strange your not striking the F keys while pressing are you as it sounds like he raising his hands in surrender ( but as this is something i havent experienced i am guessing here)

Havent heard anything about a journal but that be cool but you can keep a journal now on the pieces of paper just collect a pen and you can write notes to yourself eg how many zeds you killed ( i usually leave a note on myself for my killer childish stuff i hope he/she gets a laugh out of.

About to go play for a short bit, thought I'd check here.

Thanks for the reply! Ill give the spacebar thing a try.

And as for the zeds not having loot, I guess it wont concern myself with that issue at the moment then! I don't have much problem killing them with my melee, as Ill circle them counter clockwise and pretty much can stay out of their attack zone. One maybe two hits max is all it seems to take aiming for the head.

@SoulFirez thanks for the info. Interesting you cant light a fire with just firewood/log and matches. I suppose its plausible to need the rags as a starter, but I don't find a lot of bandages or items to tear into rags, so that seems like a waste just to start a fire. Though since im constantly cold or getting cooling, I guess I better try that method. Thanks!

Edited by .Ender.

cannot hide bodies anymore. loot by pressing tab where the person died

put matches to hands to ignite fire

issue with item persistence on servers

Fireplaces/Camp fires: I have chopped wood and picked up the wood/sticks. I have matches. But having either does not give me the option to create/build a fire. Do I need more materials like rocks or something?

You need rags and sticks to make a fireplace, then logs to put in it, then matches in hand to ignite.

You can also create a fireplace with a note/blank piece of paper. Simply tear a blank page from a book and combine it with a stick :)

I usually do this, to save my rags/bandages :)

yeah I just now got the fireplace to work!

I did notice it wouldn't let me feed any sticks to the fire though...not sure if they go out at all yet...but if so ive got plenty of rags and sticks to make kits.

are there animals yet in SA? I have yet to see a single one. Would be nice to have cooked meat vs rice or random junk.

Anyways, thanks all for the fireplace bit, now that I know how it works I wont freeze to death lol. Now to attempt to find some ammo for my SKS... -_-