harteman

Goodbye Balota barracks

Well, I still disagree with you on many points (YouTube "Slingbow") Archery is one thing using a slingbow is pure genius.

People learn to do when they are forced to do. Even after a few years there would be loads of stuff lying around. Gasoline would be pretty useless after a few years, not so sure about diesel fuel though?

They talked about adding some U.S. maps once things really get going but you know how talk can be.

The people left would be those who could best adapt to the new world. That most likely wouldn't be people from the fucking service industry. It would be blue collar people. 

Look at the game. The ruined cars, the broken windows in buildings the outbreak didn't just happen yesterday. Most stuff has been looted and used up already before the rest of the population got killed. This is akin to The Road and it's not America where 50% of the population owns guns. If this game is based on the Czech Republic albeit much much smaller than the guns are going to reflect this. There's only 700,000 guns for 10,00000 people in the Czech Republic. Because they are limiting the military stuff then it's clear the army f*cked off at some point.

Also the majority of folk work in service industries or offices - what the f*ck would they know about making a leather backpack or curing animal skin? Bear Grylls might be able to do some basic curing but then he's not under threat of being shot dead by KOS psychos or eaten by the Infected is he whilst he's sat by his campfire.

Yeah every guy I know where I come from says they'll go rob the gun shop in a zombie meltdown even though 95% have never fired a gun in their lives. So if this happens you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be fighting over the guns and anything thing else not nailed down.

I do archery.  Do you know how long it took me to learn how to hit something as small as a rabbit with a modern  Compound let alone a Recurve? Do you know what an art form making bow strings is? You can't just pick these skills up you know they take hours and with string making months of knowledge to do them.

The game is interesting because you can only farm so much and the chances are you'll get killed anyhow. That's why people get excited over a can opener or a tactical vest because they are hard to find.

Look at the rest of my post - When you've finished sewing your leather armchairs and couches and sat watching your leather TV then what are you going to do? What you want is a DayZ version of the Sims or WOW

edit: agree we should be able to craft more but lets not have crazy things - realism.

I've made a bowstring, several in fact. Take waxed cord, braid it to the appropriate brace height. Done. Braiding isn't even difficult; and 5 year old girl can do it. You can take the threads out of clothing pretty easily, and braid them into new cords.

Bowmaking/arrowmaking is more difficult. It requires skill and knowledge. However, if you know what you are doing, you can make a bow that is VERY deadly. Don't forget, archery was only really superseded as a weapon of war in the late 1800's, with the introduction of repeating, multishot firearms.

Well, I still disagree with you on many points (YouTube "Slingbow") Archery is one thing using a slingbow is pure genius.

People learn to do when they are forced to do. Even after a few years there would be loads of stuff lying around. Gasoline would be pretty useless after a few years, not so sure about diesel fuel though?

They talked about adding some U.S. maps once things really get going but you know how talk can be.

The people left would be those who could best adapt to the new world. That most likely wouldn't be people from the fucking service industry. It would be blue collar people. 

Diesel might still be good, depending upon oxygen and sunlight exposure. However, a diesel engine, with the proper filter installed, can run off of literally anything flammable. Ethanol is a popular one, and with a little agriculture, pretty commonplace.

• Like 1

I've made a bowstring, several in fact. Take waxed cord, braid it to the appropriate brace height. Done. Braiding isn't even difficult; and 5 year old girl can do it. You can take the threads out of clothing pretty easily, and braid them into new cords.

Bowmaking/arrowmaking is more difficult. It requires skill and knowledge. However, if you know what you are doing, you can make a bow that is VERY deadly. Don't forget, archery was only really superseded as a weapon of war in the late 1800's, with the introduction of repeating, multishot firearms.

You may know what you are doing most people won't. Also I wouldn't like to be a complete novice stringing a decent poundage recurve bow with a string I'd just made out of a wooly jumper- cheerio eye! I hit myself in the face when stringing a bow with the limb and I've heard tales of people blinding themselves. I still maintain that a decent string that will last is a work of art. Where I come from there is one old guy that everybody goes to make their strings because his are superior to everyone else's.

Also without the internet, jigs and boards and materials how useful would a homemade string be for bringing down a person or infected?

Yes I understand that bows have been around for thousands of years but people don't just come out of the womb with the necessary skills to a make a bow. It would have took generations to make reliable bows and arrows that would last in a prolonged hunting or combat environment. Bear Grylls, and the Dual Survival, Naked and Afraid experts can make a bow to shoot a fish or even a rabbit, but we are talking about killing people and large pray in DayZ.

Personally I'd make a spear or even a spear thrower, not that I've tried using a spear thrower but I would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to make and learn how to use.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I hope they remove the Zelo base next.

Green mountain military loot should also be reduced.

Ideally only 1 or 2 reliable military loot locations in the map + the dynamic helicopter loot would work.

• Like 1

I personally think of this as a population spreader taking players away from hotspots around the map in search of other areas

Just went to Balota as had not been there for ages. Just heading into the first hanger when I hear Z's so I run outside and there is a civilian and soldier one.

I get out the axe and they vanish into the prison building wall next to the hanger. I'm running around then these two Super Alien Invisible Teleporting Space Zombies immediately appear on top of me and deal a massive hit that damages my arm?? I'm bleeding and the hit ruins my damaged coat and makes me go "OOOOOFFFFF!!!!" 

I kill them, bandage and I'm immediately set upon by two others I then decide to leg it as it's all too much trouble and I'm getting scared.

They follow me, plus one other from Balota town to Komarovo not giving up, I did stop and wave at them though, then they pick up a couple more at Kemenka and I realize I'm running out of map. I start up the hillside and there's 4 left following me - gaining all the time. So it's stop kill one, run up the hill a bit more, stop kill one run up the hill - until I'd killed them all.

Not had a decent zombie train for ages - running up hill certainly used to be a way of escaping them but they just caught up with me quicker.

Also the pain in the arm message isn't repeating like a pain in the leg message does.  Do I still need to splint it?

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

Just went to Balota as had not been there for ages. Just heading into the first hanger when I hear Z's so I run outside and there is a civilian and soldier one.

I get out the axe and they vanish into the prison building wall next to the hanger. I'm running around then these two Super Alien Invisible Teleporting Space Zombies immediately appear on top of me and deal a massive hit that damages my arm?? I'm bleeding and the hit ruins my damaged coat and makes me go "OOOOOFFFFF!!!!" 

I kill them, bandage and I'm immediately set upon by two others I then decide to leg it as it's all too much trouble and I'm getting scared.

They follow me, plus one other from Balota town to Komarovo not giving up, I did stop and wave at them though, then they pick up a couple more at Kemenka and I realize I'm running out of map. I start up the hillside and there's 4 left following me - gaining all the time. So it's stop kill one, run up the hill a bit more, stop kill one run up the hill - until I'd killed them all.

Not had a decent zombie train for ages - running up hill certainly used to be a way of escaping them but they just caught up with me quicker.

Also the pain in the arm message isn't repeating like a pain in the leg message does.  Do I still need to splint it?

I got overwhelmed by zombies in Balota yesterday despite trapping them.  They just glitched their way through the doors/walls.

The developers should just give them lazer beams and planet killers if they need to cheat to make up for shortcomings.  It is getting silly...

I got overwhelmed by zombies in Balota yesterday despite trapping them.  They just glitched their way through the doors/walls.

The developers should just give them lazer beams and planet killers if they need to cheat to make up for shortcomings.  It is getting silly...

Logged out and logged back in 30 minutes later and the soldier zombie was there from Balota, I'm sure it's the one I thought I'd shook off. I'm north of kamenka I guess it could have come from the nearby military base but it seems an awful coincidence. Broken arm and leg, lucky I have morphine.

edit: The military base was still miles away it was the f*cker from the airfield that followed my trail and then waited for me to log in again!

ZzosrJ8.jpg?1?1947

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

It wouldn't take generations to create a good bow. It's a post-apocalyptic world, not a total wipe of all knowledge. There are still literally millions and millions of books, not to mention tens of thousands of bows out there. You'd just have to find them. The toughest thing in a post-apocalyptic world would be how to produce food and medicine. Weapons would be fairly easy to come by. There would be shit tons of gunpowder available as long as you know where to look. You learn to roll your own (reloading) and you're good for the next three hundred years.

Food production and animal husbandry would be a real challenge. You could get the electric up and working in pretty short order, all depending on how many people you can rustle together. The real problem besides food and meds would be your sociopaths, "governor types" like from the walking dead. It would seem that a certain subset of criminals would thrive in a post-apocalyptic world. They would be the assholes who would shoot you to take your gear. They did it before the apocalypse and it would be all that much easier for them in the "present" apocalypse. 

Edited by Schweinsteiger

It wouldn't take generations to create a good bow. It's a post-apocalyptic world, not a total wipe of all knowledge. There are still literally millions and millions of books, not to mention tens of thousands of bows out there. You'd just have to find them. The toughest thing in a post-apocalyptic world would be how to produce food and medicine. Weapons would be fairly easy to come by. There would be shit tons of gunpowder available as long as you know where to look. You learn to roll your own (reloading) and you're good for the next three hundred years.

Food production and animal husbandry would be a real challenge. You could get the electric up and working in pretty short order, all depending on how many people you can rustle together. The real problem besides food and meds would be your sociopaths, "governor types" like from the walking dead. It would seem that a certain subset of criminals would thrive in a post-apocalyptic world. They would be the assholes who would shoot you to take your gear. They did it before the apocalypse and it would be all that much easier for them in the "present" apocalypse. 

Underlined emphasis mine

LOL NO. Modern smokeless gunpowder degrades rapidly over time, more if exposed to sunlight, heat, or water. The chemical compounds required to manufacture it come from all over the globe ( one of the many reasons why WW3 is a logistical impossibility in reality. The amount of ammunition and ordinance required to wage war on such a scale is only possible by buying it from other countries!), and it requires at least a modicum of chemistry knowledge to make a stable-enough compound. Plus, the brass casings (with the exception of few round types. like .45-70 Gov), can only be reused a couple of times until the casing gets too weak. And, where are you going to get the primers? You can only store so many.

On the other hand, black powder requires only 3 ingredients; powdered charcoal, some sort of nitrate (usually potassium nitrate, also called saltpetre), and a sulfur, mixed in a 15%, 75%,10% mixture. The charcoal is self-explanatory, the nitrate can be found in fertilizer, urine-soaked straw, animal stalls, or scraped off of septic tank outlets. The sulfur is the only real tricky one.

The game needs to be harder, its not fun if you spawn and get insta geared,

If that the case, than they need to tweak a bit about that humger and thirsty when you spawn fresh. At least 2 hours in-game than your characther start complaining about need to eat and drink.

DEV you read this? Some points to be considered.

Let me see, why would Mil gear be gone from the coast, maybe to stop all the bandits from trolling the coast, killing newbies that have no chance to fight back, just maybe?

lol and making those freshspawns unable to defend themselves has helped the situation a great deal.