Sign in to follow this  
Skallywags (DayZ)

Mercenary Hero

Hi everyone, I thought I'd let you know about what happened to me just a few minutes ago, which made me feel both sad and happy.

I was on my way to Cherno to meet a friend who was being chased by 2 bandits, he was a new spawn and they were both armed. As I was running from Elektro to try and save him this one guy was coming on the opposite direction, he was fully geared. We said hi and that we both were friendly and I let him know I was trying to get to Cherno as soon as possible because my friend was being chased by bandits, so I kept running. Instead of simply ignoring me, keep playing by himself or even worse, shooting me on my back, he decided to join me on my quest to save my friend.

As soon as we got to the police station in Cherno the 2 bandits were chasing my friend and immediately started shooting at us as soon as they saw we both had guns and were there to kill them. I shot one of them and broke his legs, the other guy started shooting at me and I took cover. As I heard him reload I ran across the street and shot him in the head immediately runnning back to finish the last bandit. After killing both of them I realized my friend was ok but I couldn't find the dude who decided to help. After searching around the building I saw him laying on the floor, dead.

He died because he chose to help a complete stranger saving his friend, when he could have simply ignored me or even killed me. He died a hero. It makes me happy to see there's still people like this ''mercenary hero'' who choose to help people instead of killing everyone on sight and I am sure he knew he did the right thing.

I hope you read this and know that we accomplished our mission, even tho you died, it was for a good cause. I'm sorry... Maybe one day we'll see each other again.

Edited by Skallywags
  • Like 5

Nice story! He followed you on your 'quest' because it means actually something meaningful to do ingame. More people need this kind of attitude instead of killing people out of boredom.

• Like 2

Well, yeah, in a way a mercenary usually gets paid to fight for someone else, but I guess being a hero and a mercenary means he'd do it for free, which he did... unfortunately he even ended up paying with his life...

English is not my first language, but doesn't "mercenary" mean "for money"?

Yeah it means a hired gun mostly. Though it can also mean a person who wouldn't normally be involved in a conflict joining a one side. They might do this because they have favour of one side, or dislike of the other. They might do it for glory or for a reward later on and they might just do it for fun.

It isn't the main use of the word but it still fits.

Edited by LucidHills
  • Like 1

Yeah it means a hired gun mostly. Though it can also mean a person who wouldn't normally be involved in a conflict joining a one side. They might do this because they have favour of one side, or dislike of the other. They might do it for glory or for a reward later on and they might just do it for fun.

It isn't the main use of the word but it still fits.

Thanks!