LoNiC

DayZ Standalone State & Perspective @Dean Hall

I never thought I wouldIn this case go where you came from or build a mod. What you advertise is reducing depth, giving players much less options and turning the game into a distillation of itself at best.

What you want is to turn DayZ into yet another oversimplified casual game. I don't want this, I don't support this and I hope many people will agree. Also there will be many mods doing this anyways.

The thing is you have basically no idea what you are talking about.

Saying Epoch or Origins is casual is just giving evidence for this. They are in no way casual but even way more complex and difficult to learn and play than what you do in the standalone.

Talking about depth:

The depth of a thousand very similar and useless items is superficial (e.g. the hundreds of different boots, shirts, jackets and kind of foods that all have the same purpose). Only a casual himself could confound this with depth. The debth is fake. But you can't know this as you don't know that it is of absolutel no importance if your screwdriver is pristine or worn when you kill or get killed. It is of no importance if you have one kind of food (tins) or 100 different kind of food that all have the same purpose. It is of no importance if you can find a gascan and a boiler if noone is ever gonna use it due to it being a big time sink only.

The depth in this game is created by the strategy in survival as well as combat only and not by the colour or condition of items you have in your inventory and the necessity to search and replace the least important ones over and over again when you find one because you got nothing else to do ("Oh great I can replace the used screwdriver with a pristine one, its do deep"). After the first serious hit you take most of your stuff in inventory turns into damaged anyway so aside of weapons/ammo and some other core items you can basically just forget about all this stuff. There is no depth in shaking to death when running through the rain for 15 minutes because you cant find a raincoat or anything else that prevents this from happening. There is no depth in hopping servers for this reason and for the reason of looting and gearing up faster. It bores every experienced player to death as it is a waste of time.

In fact playing hide and survive dayz is as casual as it gets. It is mostly playing vs the ai and following, learning and abusing the loot tables while dodging pvp whenever its possible. It is boring. But you probably can't know this as you most likely have never experienced endgame epoch/origins/mod teamplay at all and all the sophisticated logistics, tactical/strategical plannings/maneuvers/knowledge about opponents that is coming with it. You are the casual that enjoys to run through the wood and search food and hide from the rain for a couple of hours in the evening and not the other way round. You are the casual that enjoys replacing the blue backpack with a green/orange one because you think opponents will now spot you less likely and you made big progress and enjoy to spend another 5 minutes to move everything from A to B while the high skilled teams/players mostly would give a shit about this because they win due to superior tactics, movement, positioning and knowledge or just team dominance. Once the casuals have moved on this will be the predominant style of playing.

Once the casuals have move on the skilled players will move to private hives where there is no server hopping, no random players/noobs joining and basically everyone is belonging to a big team. Then no matter how dean hall's vision about the game is/was, the game will be played the same way as the original mod was played in the higher tiers which lead to modders creating epoch and origins to exactly serve and push further this less casual and deeper style of playing DayZ that includes lesser focus on casual tasks like searching food and hoodies or caps. This is why and what I am demanding from dean hall to take into account already now when developing the Standalone, because it is anyway gonna happen with no doubt and gonna be the thing that will be defining the success or failure of DayZ in the long term.

But of course a noob can't know this. Noobs even hope for cheating, glitching, duping and abusing (e.g. hopping) can get under control in this engine somehow one day. And this way even Dean Hall is one of these noobs because he is spending way too much time on all these things that he will never get under control. The only viable future of dayz will be on private servers with 24/7 admin supervision and rule enforcement that involves most likely monthly fees for them to compensate. A noob can't know all this. Dean Hall instead must.

Edited by LoNiC

Talking about depth:

The depth of a thousand very similar and useless items is superficial (e.g. the hundreds of different boots, shirts, jackets and kind of foods that all have the same purpose). Only a casual himself could confound this with depth. The debth is fake. But you can't know this as you don't know that it is of absolutel no importance if your screwdriver is pristine or worn when you kill or get killed. It is of no importance if you have one kind of food (tins) or 100 different kind of food that all have the same purpose. It is of no importance if you can find a gascan and a boiler if noone is ever gonna use it due to it being a big time sink only.

Just a quick one on this paragraph:

Are you aware that:

- each kind of clothing and its condition has a different armor rating and how much it will protect you from getting cold or wet? With the release of 0.49, clothing actually has become important.

- the condition of melee weapons has an impact on the damage being dealt. Moreso, if you take a screwdriver for example, a badly damaged one will spill much more food from an opened can than a pristine one, which ultimatively has an impact on survival the more scarce canned food gets.

- each food has different nutrition values ? I wanna force feed you rice to make you die of dehydradation :D

Just a quick one on this paragraph:

Are you aware that:

- each kind of clothing and its condition has a different armor rating and how much it will protect you from getting cold or wet? With the release of 0.49, clothing actually has become important.

- the condition of melee weapons has an impact on the damage being dealt. Moreso, if you take a screwdriver for example, a badly damaged one will spill much more food from an opened can than a pristine one, which ultimatively has an impact on survival the more scarce canned food gets.

- each food has different nutrition values ? I wanna force feed you rice to make you die of dehydradation :D

I know all this, but it is not important for the depth of the game. It is not important for survival, killing or getting killed. It is a time sink only to me.

The depth of the game is being created with the freedom strategies and the adaption of these strategies to the server and environment you play on. All the stuff that is not visible in the Standalone yet because its not yet implemented and the game is based on public hive with server hopping and basically meeting random players only yet. Noone of the non casuals is gonna play in a cheating enabled environment long term.

As the cheating problem wont get under control the only solution will be private hives with 24/7 paid admin control. You gonna pay for your spot on one of the good servers. In these environments you need to adapt to who is playing where on the server. It requires great skill to know the movement patters of the dangerous teams on the server and search your own niche to build up stuff (will it be a network of tents or a base like in epoch in the end). It is of no importance if your jacket is pristine or damaged. If you get shot in the head you die 1 shot and if not you gonna survive the first hit. Thats all that matters. The rest is time sink for noobs.