ZedsDeadBaby

Simple Solution to Loot Farming via Server Hopping

I'm the simple solution to loot farming via server hopping. I camp low pop servers with my 50 cal and execute people who log in at high loot sites such as the NWAF. My only problem is I can't mock them in global chat anymore...

You will get no disagreement from me that server-swapping to escape combat or gain an advantage in firefights is a more serious problem. However, it also requires a more serious solution and greater consideration for side-effects because if you catch an innocent in that trap they are going to die.

I started this thread as a "simple" solution to a more simple problem. The side effect of catching innocents in my solution is that they have to walk a few minutes. Hardly the harsh "punishment" or game-breaking inconvenience that people make it out to be, and it solves a major (not critical) problem in the game which undermines tactical play in a very real way.

I'm probably going to step out of the discussion now; I believe I have responded to the claim that this "unfairly punishes innocents." If walking for a few minutes before you can loot really feels like such a punishment to you, then I submit again that you are simply too used to taking advantage of the system as-is. As I've said, there is never a critical need to pick up loot the moment you login. A 3-5 minute run is a small price to pay for a fix that would greatly increase server population persistence and reduce occurrences of "blink in-blink out" game play.

Just please do me a favor and keep in mind that this is not a thread about combat logging or combat hopping. It's specifically about addressing loot farming and the effect it has on tactical play. Stay on topic if you can.

Thanks again for all the comments.

No. I and many other people' date=' when browsing servers, will very quickly leave if it doesn't have conditions we find suitable. If I log in to a server and it's pitch black night, I'll leave within seconds.

Yet with this feature I'll find my loot suppressed.

When someone server-logs for loot, it doesn't affect you personally. Don't penalize people like me, who log out frequently just because you don't like other people getting more cans of soup than you do.

[/quote']

This is easily solved by allowing people to log into a server and move around a bit, but if the player picks up any loot spawn (not including player drops, or dead players) they will be flagged. If a player shoots another player they are flagged.

There are many ways to ensure that a player is not server hopping, and it must be fixed if there is ever to be any credibility to the gameplay.

Someone probably already mentioned this, but this idea doesn't really mesh with this game's pretenses towards realism. The only way to explain this idea is that some magical force causes the character to not be able to pick anything up. I agree that server hopping needs to be fixed, but adding-in arbitrary magic-based limitations to a player is going to clash with the very feel of the game.

The obvious solution to the problem of if a server goes offline, is to allow for 2 or 3 switches of servers in that 30 minute period.

Someone probably already mentioned this' date=' but this idea doesn't really mesh with this game's pretenses towards realism.[/quote']

Neither does the ability to magically blink into and out of existence, warping between parallel universes at will and harvesting resources therein, right?

That's what server hopping permits. And it is far more "magical" and disruptive to the sense of realism than is the inability to pick up items after magically appearing in said alternative dimension.

This actually discourages "magical" behavior (by discouraging rampant server changing), so in my opinion it is a boon to realism, not a detriment.

Yep, YepYepYep. I saw that 'realism' post earlier but couldn't find the will to counter it. I think I've lowered my humanity a bit :P .

Hmm yea theres some good ideas in here. It makes me feel uncomfortable that a restriction is being put on a player but peeps really shouldnt be server hoping for loot, or ghosting!!!

The main problem i see in this, is peeps being subject to this punishment for genuine reasons like some explained, finding a server that meets their suiting, I always play Day Z during the night, it would suck if i never got to play a server operating a diff time zone.

But not until at least Day Z is in beta format, then i see this as a potential.

Whilst Server Hosts cant uniformly decide on which what arma2 patch over which DayZ update under that hackers shit pile, restart, restart!!!

First off. The loot system is a total pile of shit so redesigning that before makes any changes to 'fix' the current system is a waste of time.

Second, it does NOTHING to counter PvP/server ghosting as i've seen some claim it will in this thread. Most PlayerKillers (I'm not using the term 'Bandit' because its fucking defunct.) are there just to kill you, they already have their weapons of choice most likely, and if you haven't figured it out yet, They aren't killing you for your loot. They are killing you for the lulz, and the tears.

Third, and this is the game breaker for this idea:

Say i have a mate or two with me, I can just walk/drive 1500 meters away from my favorite spawn point while my friends hop in the barracks say. They can spawn kill everyone, I just drive in and collect the loot for them. Your fix has been out maneuvered that simply.

Seems like you had a good idea. But no, you didn't. how did it take you guys 9 pages to see it doesn't work.

Second, it does NOTHING to counter PvP/server ghosting as i've seen some claim it will in this thread. Most PlayerKillers (I'm not using the term 'Bandit' because its fucking defunct.) are there just to kill you, they already have their weapons of choice most likely, and if you haven't figured it out yet, They aren't killing you for your loot. They are killing you for the lulz, and the tears.

Fewer people blinking into existence behind you means fewer deaths. If their server hopping for loot they're ALSO going to be killing anyone they come across in the process. So it WILL reduce incidents of PvP based on server login advantage.

It's not about changing player's motivations it's about keeping the list of players on the server more consistent and therefore reducing the number who are randomly blinking into existence behind you.

Say i have a mate or two with me' date=' I can just walk/drive 1500 meters away from my favorite spawn point while my friends hop in the barracks say. They can spawn kill everyone, [i']I just drive in and collect the loot for them. Your fix has been out maneuvered that simply.

Seems like you had a good idea. But no, you didn't. how did it take you guys 9 pages to see it doesn't work.

Uhh, that's just one server. How are you going to do that on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th servers without leaving and coming back again, without your vehicle, hence requiring the 10 minute jog, hence discouraging the action because it wouldn't really be profitable over time?

I don't see how this out maneuvers anything.

That's why it took us 9 pages not to think of it.

Second' date=' it does NOTHING to counter PvP/server ghosting as i've seen some claim it will in this thread. Most PlayerKillers (I'm not using the term 'Bandit' because its fucking defunct.) are there just to kill you, they already have their weapons of choice most likely, and if you haven't figured it out yet, They aren't killing you for your loot. They are killing you for the lulz, and the tears.[/quote']

Fewer people blinking into existence behind you means fewer deaths. If their server hopping for loot they're ALSO going to be killing anyone they come across in the process. So it WILL reduce incidents of PvP based on server login advantage.

No it won't because these people are hopping to kill. they don't give a damn about lott, they just want to piss other players off. The numbers of people hopping won't drop that much.

Say i have a mate or two with me' date=' I can just walk/drive 1500 meters away from my favorite spawn point while my friends hop in the barracks say. They can spawn kill everyone, [i']I just drive in and collect the loot for them. Your fix has been out maneuvered that simply.

Uhh, that's just one server. How are you going to do that on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th servers without leaving and coming back again, without your vehicle, hence requiring the 10 minute jog, hence discouraging the action because it wouldn't really be profitable over time?

I don't see how this out maneuvers anything.

That's why it took us 9 pages not to think of it.

That one server with one group of 3 players out of the almost a half million or w/e the numbers are now, and ideas spread like wildfire. Shit theres already a thread of this forum listing heli spawns.

If you think that only one group would be doing that, you are very shortsighted and totally underestimate gamers ability to find ways around things. Now before you rage back, stop and think.

No it won't because these people are hopping to kill. they don't give a damn about lott' date=' they just want to piss other players off. The numbers of people hopping won't drop that much.[/quote']

Some people hop to kill. Others hop for loot. Can we agree on that?

Can we also agree that those hopping for loot will likely kill anyone they encounter?

If we can agree on those two things (which I think you will be hard pressed not to do), then you must accept that discouraging hopping for loot will also reduce the blink-in murder rate.

That one server with one group of 3 players out of the almost a half million or w/e the numbers are now' date=' and ideas spread like wildfire. Shit theres already a thread of this forum listing heli spawns.

If you think that only one group would be doing that, you are very shortsighted and totally underestimate gamers ability to find ways around things. Now before you rage back, stop and think.

[/quote']

I've stopped and thunk, Never. You're not reading my response properly.

I mean "that's just one server" because the idea of hopping requires more than one server. Your work-around of being 1500m away and driving in for loot only works for one server. After that, if you want to hop you're going to have to get 1500m away and come back again which is a big inconvenience and dangerous to boot.

You're not outmaneuvering my fix. In fact, you're demonstrating why it works; once the group in question loots a server, they're going to be suppressed on any new server they join and have to move 1500m away again before coming back.

So how does that outmaneuver my fix?

Good suggestion, in theory. Implementing it may be more difficult than you think.

Edit: I'd personally like to see players locked to their server for 30 minutes after disconnecting (only able to log back into their last server unless they wait 30 minutes) but that's just me. Otherwise we may as well all be Time Lords.

Never you're assuming people only server hop to kill other players. They really don't. The only people that server hop to kill are snipers that aren't gonna be next to the loot anyways.

The few times I've died have been due to hackers or server hoppers spawning right behind me. These guys were going for loot, most of the time I was shot by an enfield or winchester.

Your proposed counter to the OP's solution still involves someone running 1.5 kilometers to get the loot. You're a fool if you dont think that will discourage server hopping.

So how does that outmaneuver my fix?

3 man team can still abuse it. 2 servers at once in fact' date=' and it opens up the chance for them to endlessly farm just those two. 5 min loot respawns are the thorn in the side of this idea.

Remember the old riddle about a farmer needing to move a chicken and a fox in one boat across a river? Works the same way, shit you could do it with 2 men and a vehicle, although 3 people makes it simple. A decent sized clan group? Yeah it might take them 10 mins longer to farm two servers, But with your idea, we could pick two points 1500m apart and farm a pair of servers in an endless cycle.

[hr']

Never you're assuming people only server hop to kill other players. They really don't. The only people that server hop to kill are snipers that aren't gonna be next to the loot anyways.

The few times I've died have been due to hackers or server hoppers spawning right behind me. These guys were going for loot' date=' most of the time I was shot by an enfield or winchester.

Your proposed counter to the OP's solution still involves someone running 1.5 kilometers to get the loot. You're a fool if you dont think that will discourage server hopping.

[/quote']

Sorry but just because in your experience they have killed for loot, doesn't mean they leap for kills as well. If we are both honest, we know that if they knew where you were they'd have leap and killed you anyway. Plus how do you know they took any loot when they killed you? You were dead? :huh:

Also see my post above for how this idea is a farmers dream.

Someone probably already mentioned this' date=' but this idea doesn't really mesh with this game's pretenses towards realism.[/quote']

Neither does the ability to magically blink into and out of existence, warping between parallel universes at will and harvesting resources therein, right?

That's what server hopping permits. And it is far more "magical" and disruptive to the sense of realism than is the inability to pick up items after magically appearing in said alternative dimension.

This actually discourages "magical" behavior (by discouraging rampant server changing), so in my opinion it is a boon to realism, not a detriment.

The difference is that "blinking into and out of existence" isn't an intended part of gameplay, and something that Rocket has already said he's going to fix.

Simple :

Log on a new server make you spawn at the shore, with starting equipement. Stats - Zombies killed, days survived remainds.

Log on the same server than you leave make you spawn at the logout location.

i dont like this idea since a always switch servers becuese of lag, nightime, my squad cant join the server, I mean for real I join 5+ servers before i find one that works for me! and if i would need to wait 30 minutes before joining a new server it would take to long! It would ruin the game!

i dont like this idea since a always switch servers becuese of lag' date=' nightime, my squad cant join the server, I mean for real I join 5+ servers before i find one that works for me! and if i would need to wait 30 minutes before joining a new server it would take to long! It would ruin the game!

[/quote']

Get a home server. It's not that hard. Play at night, it's the most fun in the game.

Love this idea. It's clearly apparent that the only people opposed to this awesome suggestion are the people who partake in this game breaking activity.

Rocket, implement this for testing asap!

I don't think this is a good idea, I was hopping around servers today because they were bugging out and if there was a 30 min wait I wouldn't be able to play for a long time.

I've played a few "private" servers today to see how they work and server hopping is eliminated in them due to the fact people can't server hop, ghost in and out and dc and reconnect behind you, all the data is stored in there own database, makes the game much better, i think i prefer them now to normal servers lol.

No desync, lag and of course there are choppers and all the usual dayz stuff, just not connected to hive, makes the mod like it was when it first came out.

Love this idea. It's clearly apparent that the only people opposed to this awesome suggestion are the people who partake in this game breaking activity.

Rocket' date=' implement this for testing asap!

[/quote']

Just so you know, i'm debating the idea because its only from looking at it all a few different angles we can canfind all the pros & cons.

I.E the fact that Zeds response made me realise another flaw in the area, I.E the fact its a perfect 2 server farming technique waiting to happen.

I've played a few "private" servers today to see how they work and server hopping is eliminated in them due to the fact people can't server hop' date=' ghost in and out and dc and reconnect behind you, all the data is stored in there own database, makes the game much better, i think i prefer them now to normal servers lol.

No desync, lag and of course there are choppers and all the usual dayz stuff, just not connected to hive, makes the mod like it was when it first came out.

[/quote']

You know what, i wish they locked characters to servers, solves all the bullshit.

I.E the fact its a perfect 2 server farming technique waiting to happen.

Are you implying that if the OP's suggested change went through that farming would somehow be easier?

The only difference I see is forcing someone to walk 1500m if they want loot. This makes solo farming impossible and makes organized server hop farming extremely risky for the person running between spawn points. Besides where the hell is the runner actually going? I don't think the two barracks at NWAF are even 1500m apart. What two points are actually being farmed in this '2 server farming technique'.

Elaborate.

I.E the fact its a perfect 2 server farming technique waiting to happen.

Are you implying that if the OP's suggested change went through that farming would somehow be easier?

The only difference I see is forcing someone to walk 1500m if they want loot. This makes solo farming impossible and makes organized server hop farming extremely risky for the person running between spawn points. Besides where the hell is the runner actually going? I don't think the two barracks at NWAF are even 1500m apart. What two points are actually being farmed in this '2 server farming technique'.

Elaborate.

I've already explained it once.

2 servers

3 man team

1 vehicle per server

and the handy 5 min respawns.

Pick two points cycle the pair on both servers job done.

yes, thats something that organised groups only will be able to do, but its mainly those groups farming the shit out of the game anyhow.

I couldn't give two fucks about what point people pick, i'm just pointing out its a flaw in the suggested system that'll be abused, that easily. You know, instead of sating '+1' or 'thats shit', i'm actually trying to discuss flaws and merits.