ZedsDeadBaby

Simple Solution to Loot Farming via Server Hopping

A simple fix to reduce the prevalence of loot farming via server-swapping. It is not a "hard" prevention method, but will still have a significant impact on the effectiveness of this loot collection method

Solution

• When you login successfully, if it has been at least 30 minutes since your most recent prior login, you will be completely uneffected.
  • However, if you logout and then login to a different server without allowing at least 30 minutes to pass while offline, you will be flagged as "loot suppressed" on the new server.
  • To clear loot suppression, you must move at least 1500m from your current location, or allow 20 minutes to pass.

Pro's

• Players will no longer be able to efficiently farm high-value loot quickly by swapping servers.
  • It only prevents loot pick-ups - other game mechanics are uneffected. Unlike some "temporary ban" solutions it doesn't completely prevent you from playing.
  • It encourages travel and remaining on a single server. It will be more efficient to travel from Stary Sobor to the NWAF and back on the same server instead of staying in one spot and swapping, for example. Same with tent farming - going from town to town will now be better than staying in one town and server jumping in hopes of finding a tent. This will make for more persistent player presence on a server, and less "blink in-blink out" type gameplay at these hot spots.
  • It should be easy to implement, since ARMA 2 supports the "move at least x distance from your current location" mechanic already - some of the single player challenges revolve around this.

Con's

• There is a chance your server may go offline or become unstable/laggy as you approach a high-value loot target. If the server does recover and you are forced to swap, you will be loot supressed even though you never looted anything.
  • There is a slight "work-around" where players could take turns looting on servers, so a group of 5 could loot 5 different servers before every team member has loot suppression.

Personally I believe the Pro's outweigh the Con's and that this would be an effective and simple solution to an issue that creates a lot of "meta" type gameplay around high-value loot spots. Players would now be strongly encouraged to remain on a single server and travel efficiently from one loot area to the next instead of jumping from one server to another and continually looting the same place.

Edit, to clarify: I'm not suggesting loot disappear, only that the "suppressed" player be unable to pick it up. So nearby players would be unaffected. This creates a loophole (see my 2nd con), but still effectively puts the pinch on most incidents of server-hopping and greatly reduce it's presence in the game.

More clarification: If you find yourself getting hung up on the specific numbers, they're obviously all adjustable variables. Maybe 15 minutes offline or 1000m distance/10 minute wait? The details would be up to rocket I think the core concept is sound.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 5

Sounds good to me, Mix that with a 10-20 sec logout timer and that solves all sorts of problems :D

No. I and many other people, when browsing servers, will very quickly leave if it doesn't have conditions we find suitable. If I log in to a server and it's pitch black night, I'll leave within seconds.

Yet with this feature I'll find my loot suppressed.

When someone server-logs for loot, it doesn't affect you personally. Don't penalize people like me, who log out frequently just because you don't like other people getting more cans of soup than you do.

When someone server-logs for loot' date=' it doesn't affect you personally.

[/quote']

That is not true at all. If I have been scouting an area for a while, making sure no snipers ect are about and start moving in for my loot only to see a guy load in take the loot and load out, that really sucks.

I see what you are saying though, it is a tough fix. Either way some one will be effected.

I personally like the suggestion from another thread that when you log into a different server you start closer to the cost.

When someone server-logs for loot' date=' it doesn't affect you personally.

[/quote']

That is not true at all. If I have been scouting an area for a while, making sure no snipers ect are about and start moving in for my loot only to see a guy load in take the loot and load out, that really sucks.

I see what you are saying though, it is a tough fix. Either way some one will be effected.

I personally like the suggestion from another thread that when you log into a different server you start closer to the cost.

With the size of the map and number of servers out there, I think you'll be safe from being the one guy in that one area where a server-logger takes everything useful out of that one building you needed.

And spawning closer to the coast with each server log would be a pain for anyone who frequently switches servers for legitimate reasons (too crowded, wanting different conditions such as time, friend just got on the wrong server, etc.)

Let's not punish a ton of innocent players to weed out a few bad ones.

No. I and many other people' date=' when browsing servers, will very quickly leave if it doesn't have conditions we find suitable. If I log in to a server and it's pitch black night, I'll leave within seconds.

When someone server-logs for loot, it doesn't affect you personally. Don't penalize people like me, who log out frequently just because you don't like other people getting more cans of soup than you do.

[/quote']

Learn your time zones, and your problems with logging into servers that are 'pitch black' get solved real quick.

This is the best idea I've seen to discourage server hopping. +1 to OP

No. I and many other people' date=' when browsing servers, will very quickly leave if it doesn't have conditions we find suitable. If I log in to a server and it's pitch black night, I'll leave within seconds.

[/quote']

Learn your time zones, and your problems with logging into servers that are 'pitch black' get solved real quick.

Or you could stop suggesting that innocent players should be penalized because "ITS NOT FAAAAAAAAAIR!!!"

[/quote']

Or you could stop suggesting that innocent players should be penalized because "ITS NOT FAAAAAAAAAIR!!!"

It's not about whats 'fair'. Do you realize that server hopping has a negative impact on the performance of the DB that EVERY players info is written back to? It also has a negative impact on clogging up the servers, making it that much harder for players to get into their 'home' or 'frequently visited' servers because some douchebag is constantly logging in, looting, logging out, switching, and then coming back 10 minutes later.

I would hate for you to have to actually learn the UTC Time Zones, but ZDB's suggestion does not 'penalize' innocent players. Most "innocent" players I know don't log out in high/med loot zones to begin with. They head for the shelter of the forests, where its safer to log in at.

BTW, the tone of your opposition to the OP's idea leads me to believe that you are not as "innocent" as you claim to be.

[/quote']

It's not about whats 'fair'. Do you realize that server hopping has a negative impact on the performance of the DB that EVERY players info is written back to? It also has a negative impact on clogging up the servers, making it that much harder for players to get into their 'home' or 'frequently visited' servers because some douchebag is constantly logging in, looting, logging out, switching, and then coming back 10 minutes later.

I would hate for you to have to actually learn the UTC Time Zones, but ZDB's suggestion does not 'penalize' innocent players. Most "innocent" players I know don't log out in high/med loot zones to begin with. They head for the shelter of the forests, where its safer to log in at.

BTW, the tone of your opposition to the OP's idea leads me to believe that you are not as "innocent" as you claim to be.

If logging in/out of servers had a negative impact on the database worth mentioning, there would be restrictions or devs requesting for players not to do so frequently. You're just trying to justify the ridiculousness of penalizing anyone not willing to spend an hour learning time zones or making definitive choices of servers so you can sleep at night knowing someone didn't get a few extra cans of beans that will last until they get brutally murdered.

Not everyone logs on one server and stays their for hours on end. Don't penalize them because, again, "BUT ITS STILL NOT FAAAAAIR!!!" Sometimes, I'll take a good 10 minutes logging in and out of servers to find one that's right for me. Maybe I'll press enter by accident. The reason I sound angry is because, with this suggestion, I'm going to find a server at long last and find absolutely no loot because some kids thought it would be clever to do so.

[/quote']

If logging in/out of servers had a negative impact on the database worth mentioning, there would be restrictions or devs requesting for players not to do so frequently. You're just trying to justify the ridiculousness of penalizing anyone not willing to spend an hour learning time zones or making definitive choices of servers so you can sleep at night knowing someone didn't get a few extra cans of beans that will last until they get brutally murdered.

Not everyone logs on one server and stays their for hours on end. Don't penalize them because, again, "BUT ITS STILL NOT FAAAAAIR!!!" Sometimes, I'll take a good 10 minutes logging in and out of servers to find one that's right for me. Maybe I'll press enter by accident. The reason I sound angry is because, with this suggestion, I'm going to find a server at long last and find absolutely no loot because some kids thought it would be clever to do so.

Learning UTC doesn't take an hour, just a quick Google search.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Your "user error" arguement about hitting enter by accident is laughable. Whats not "fair" is spending an hour walking to one of the Airfields to find it void of loot due to the douchebags I mentioned in my previous post. How do I know it was the server hoppers? Because I have stumbled across multiple people logging back in to the barracks infront of me. I shoot, they DC to avoid death. Explain to me how THAT is fair?

Learn your time zones' date=' and your problems with logging into servers that are 'pitch black' get solved real quick.

[/quote']

Learning UTC doesn't take an hour, just a quick Google search.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Your "user error" arguement about hitting enter by accident is laughable. Whats not "fair" is spending an hour walking to one of the Airfields to find it void of loot due to the douchebags I mentioned in my previous post. How do I know it was the server hoppers? Because I have stumbled across multiple people logging back in to the barracks infront of me. I shoot, they DC to avoid death. Explain to me how THAT is fair?

1. You stated, in exact words, "It's not about what's 'fair".

2. It's not fair, but penalizing innocent players isn't fair either.

3. Easily solved by a 5-second logout canceled by damage taken. That prevents combat-logging.

4. The only way to prevent server-logging without going on a giant prick-rant about how penalizing for errors is a necessary evil is to rely on server owners to be competent and check through logs for such things. Otherwise, deal with it and join less-populated servers. You make minor issues like these way more significant in your mind by trying to convince others that losing out on that beloved can of beans somehow cripples your gaming experience. Report it to your admin and move on. Stop trying to penalize me out of your selfish desire to get revenge.

1. You stated' date=' in exact words, "It's not about what's 'fair".

2. It's not fair, but penalizing innocent players isn't fair either.

3. Easily solved by a 5-second logout canceled by damage taken. That prevents combat-logging.

4. The only way to prevent server-logging without going on a giant prick-rant about how penalizing for errors is a necessary evil is to rely on server owners to be competent and check through logs for such things. Otherwise, deal with it and join less-populated servers. You make minor issues like these way more significant in your mind by trying to convince others that losing out on that beloved can of beans somehow cripples your gaming experience. Report it to your admin and move on. Stop trying to penalize me out of your selfish desire to get revenge.

[/quote']

You were the first to bring the words "It's not fair" into this discussion. And since you continued to use that as your catch phrase, I decided to speak in the only words I thought you were capable of understanding. However, you seem to be incapable of logical thought. GMT/UTC is something that you should have learned in grade school, if your age in your forum profile is correct.... you should have no problem with simple the addition/subtraction that is required to know how many hours ahead or behind you are from another time zone.

Again, the OPs suggestion is not about whats fair and whats not, it's about discouraging server hopping and removing the incentive to do such actions.

"Innocent" players would not be affected by this. If someone did log in to the wrong server by accident, all they would need to do, is simply leave the area they logged in at, and return to it if they need loot. If you log in/out in the woods,... this does not become a problem, now does it?

its a game about realism an thus i don't think loot suppression is wise if the items are there they are there, otherwise people could purposely "loot" suppress areas on servers and stop others from getting loot. Really the only thing to do is put in a log out timer, and a "server hop" counter upon your 2-3 HOP, you are warned with a message "further server changes will result in longer waiting times" and then players simple cant log into another server or character creation takes long intentionally to discourage this. You could also put a time limit on all this so people player for hrs that hop about are not affected only those that hop in short periods of time "looting" and avoiding pvp

No. I and many other people, when browsing servers, will very quickly leave if it doesn't have conditions we find suitable. If I log in to a server and it's pitch black night, I'll leave within seconds.

Okay, fine. So what? You're not going to die if you can't loot the insant you login to the game, right? 1500m is a 5 minute run. Not so much to ask in order to resolve a relatively serious issue in the game, right?

You're completely free to find a suitable server, but once you get on it's not imperative that you immediately start picking up loot in the vicinity.

If you were actually playing to survive you wouldn't be logging that close to loot anyway - it's incredibly dangerous and only really makes sense if you are either forced offline by mitigating circumstances (rare) or specifically trying to farm loot.

A lot of people take advantage of remote deer stands - up ladder, loot, down ladder, relog, up ladder, loot, down ladder... ugh.

When someone server-logs for loot, it doesn't affect you personally.

This is complete and absolute hogwash! I'm effected in a variety of ways personally, some very severe from a game play standpoint:

First, it exponentially increases the rates of player logins near high value loot. So while I'm playing - legitimately moving from town-to-town to find loot - I am constantly under threat from people popping into existence behind me because they find it more efficient to server-hop to loot the same location over and over.

This has a huge impact on tactical game play mechanics. If I approach a high-value loot location, carefully scouting every possible approach and then "clearing" the building, I should have some assurances that I'm not going to be ambushed by someone logging in behind me.

Yes, this will still happen randomly from "fresh" spawns, but the rates will go down by orders of magnitude if we make it less profitable to server hop for loot.

See this thread for an in-depth discussion on the many issues caused by frequent logins.

Second, server-hopping detracts from the persistence in the world. Instead of a 225km^2 map where people are traveling from place-to-place to vye for limited resources, you have ~6 "hot spots" in the game where people spend all day constantly server hopping in an attempt to gather loot or murder those who are.

Once towns or camps are "looted out" and players know they can't simply swap servers to loot the whole place again, they will be forced to travel to another location. This creates a more interesting world, and a more fluid game experience. Players tend to stay on the same server longer, and you can track enemies, be tracked, and engage in more long-term interactions than you can in a world where ~50% of any given server population are just "popping in for a quick visit don't mind me I'll just grab my loot and be off."

Likewise, players who camp hotspots waiting for loot farmers to login only to snipe them before their client finishes loading would find far fewer targets - and they might actually have to get up and move around a bit and use their brains to find targets instead of just sitting AFK with their sniper scope trained on the Stary Sobor military tents while they watch Netflix and eat cocoa puffs.

Incidentally this also adds more value to vehicles. Once you actually need to travel to effectively gather loot, vehicles will be even higher value assets.

Third, in this game's extremely competitive environment it is important to understand the flow of high-value loot and the impact it has on the prevalance of certain items, weapon types, etc. I am personally effected if design decisions are being made about spawn rates and item rarity based on the game when it allows for such a watered-down, cheap and largely challenge-free method for collecting large amounts of loot in a repetitive manner.

Don't penalize people like me, who log out frequently just because you don't like other people getting more cans of soup than you do.

Don't over-simplify a rather complex issue in order to dismiss a solution that isn't that much of a "penalty" for anyone who is not specifically and directly abusing the system on a regular basis.

Again, a 1500m jog is not too much to ask. Just enough to make it annoying for exploiters without really inconveniencing legitimate players much in the process.

Good idea, but will the loot only despawn for the player involved or will it despawn the loot for others too and how could loot be only despawned for the player involved?

Let's not punish a ton of innocent players to weed out a few bad ones.

A "few?" Really, dude? You think there's only a few people server-swapping for loot?

It's an epidemic.

Good idea' date=' but will the loot only despawn for the player involved or will it despawn the loot for others too and how could loot be only despawned for the player involved?

[/quote']

Loot will not despawn. The player who is "suppressed" will simply be unable to pick it up.

You can interact with gear you already have, or remove items from tents or vehicles - but you cannot pick up gear from "loot piles" in the vicinity until you clear your suppression.

Server hopping for loot is part of the game. No one complains about goblin farming on Diablo. Farming spawns is going to happen with or without it ,untill the developer makes it a no no or changes the game mechanic it is the games mechanic. Also to be fair if you want to get fat loot go play on a low pop server late at night...I went on a 8 man server at 2am found a ghillie suit and a drm and basically went to every spawn in Electro with zero opposition but the zombies. If you want leet gear there are ways of getting it. Punishing other players that have to play briefly between college classes or after they get off work or have poor internet connections or vision and need to play on lighted servers because you can't find loot isn't the point of the game. The point is survival and it is supposed to be hard so you have to choose if you should shoot a guy for his loot or continue on with a pistol and a can of soda...that is the central point of the game diminishing it to make it more care bear friendly will end that desperate decision making.

I see, then yup, I guess it is a decent fix for now.

Also if you play on a high pop server there are no server hoppers at all because they can't get in if the server is full. The pro players however are just camping the airports with barb wire barricades taking multiple spawns or farming it cause they got the respawn timers down. You going to complain about that to? What if a team of guys takes over a building and wahhhh you cant get a sniper rifle is that grounds for complaint?...

Get over it dude it is part of the game. If you can't find any weapons in this game you havn't learned it that well. Within the first hour server hoping or no on any pop server you should have a larger pack an rifle an axe hunting knife matchbook and canteen and basically be a self sufficient survivalist capable of producing your own food and drink infinitely....from there you have 3 airstrips to search plus the chopper crash sites and multiple dear stands I highly doubt you got 16 plus server hoppers camping all of the leet weapon spawns, you just need to learn where else besides the airport to go aka learn the game or learn to play..... http://www.twitch.tv/hanibalhendrix/b/323078670

Also if you play on a high pop server there are no server hoppers at all because they can't get in if the server is full.

That's not accurate. A "full" server is 50/50 plus the 25 people waiting to get on. One server hopper leaves' date=' another connects, etc. Go watch the lobby of any 50 person server. Count off 10 minutes and see how many names on the list have changed.

Take out server hopping for loot and that list will remain more persistent. I've discussed why that's a good thing.

The pro players however are just camping the airports with barb wire barricades taking multiple spawns or farming it cause they got the respawn timers down. You going to complain about that to?

In what sense am I complaining? I'm suggesting an improvement to the game. Can we not devolve into shouting at each other about it? Nobody's attacking your way of life. Just relax and discuss.

What if a team of guys takes over a building and wahhhh you cant get a sniper rifle is that grounds for complaint?...

What? How is that relevant in any sense to the current topic of discussion? Lets stay on topic, okay?

Get over it dude it is part of the game.

So is disconnect to avoid PvP at the moment. Not everything that is currently "part of the game" should remain part of the game. Alpha is about identifying bugs, weak points and exploits in the system and suggesting solutions. I've done that here in a very reasonable way. I don't have anything to "get over."

If you can't find any weapons in this game you havn't learned it that well.

Where did I say anything about not being able to find weapons? Who do you think you're responding to? I'm not sure you're quite understanding the issue here, let alone the solution.

This is not about ensuring access to loot. This is not about "not being able to get" things. Personally I have a Bizon SD, AS50 Anti-material rifle, two flavors of AK, an M16+M203 and an M249. Most in my truck of course. So, I'm doing just fine - thanks for your advice. But this thread isn't about me, and the problem goes beyond just "learning to play."

Hendrix, almost every single post I've seen from you has been simply unfounded, idiotic, wrongfully accusatory of others, or downright off-topic. If you continue this way I'll be the one reporting you for your behaviour.

On topic, I support this idea, it fits well, it's reasonable, and except for the few people who can't seem to think for themselves (and thus can't figure out how to connect to the correct servers from experience), is well supported.

ZDB, you have yourself a winner. +1.

Well I'm new to the game and I'm frankly disgusted that this is happening. Your fix sounds like educated and constructive solution. You got my vote!

[/quote']

I agree in that i sometimes server hop until i find an adequately timed server. A way to solve this issue is to have ALL servers have their timezone in the description or name

[/quote']

I agree in that i sometimes server hop until i find an adequately timed server. A way to solve this issue is to have ALL servers have their timezone in the description or name

Some sort of uniform formatting for server names in general would clear up ALOT of confussion....