Aeoneth

[Suggestion] Make ammo rarer...

As everyone is aware the game is rapidly becoming less zombie survival sim and more BF with zombies. It is my belief that this is likely because of the commonality of ammo spawns. Players do not have to worry about deciding whether to conserve ammo and let the guy firing a fullauto M16 into the air run away from them (even though they haven't been seen yet), or to simply shoot him.

Why take the chance of letting someone get away when you can just pop a few bullets in him now and find more ammo in that barn up ahead, or the military tents in the next town, or the house beside the barn up ahead.

I will admit I have succumbed to this thought process a disturbing number of times lately, each time opening fire without thinking about which would be better. Thankfully I am a terrible shot from long distances and missed these players who ended up turning out to be friendly.

Thus I believe if ammo was rarer players would actually have to make a conscious decision of whether to kill another player or not and whether it would be more beneficial or not.

This would NOT destroy banditry, which I believe to be a completely valid strategy even if morally wrong, as bandits would still gain whatever ammo the killed player may have, I DO believe this will help eliminate the mindless KoS players seem to have where they won't even loot a corpse of a player they just killed.

And before I open up the floor to criticisms, comments and suggestions, I wish for people to understand that I am not a new player anymore. I have for the past week been bike riding around the north end of Chernarus hitting up towns attempting to find an offroad truck / tent so I can store some of the ridiculous stores of ammo I have found. I've also been hitting up crashed helis (which are also too common imo but I digress as that is being discussed in another thread) wherever I find them.

With that in mind I now open the floor to any comments, criticisms, or modification suggestions the community may have.

As everyone is aware the game is rapidly becoming less zombie survival sim and more BF with zombies. It is my belief that this is likely because of the commonality of ammo spawns. Players do not have to worry about deciding whether to conserve ammo and let the guy firing a fullauto M16 into the air run away from them (even though they haven't been seen yet)' date=' or to simply shoot him.

Why take the chance of letting someone get away when you can just pop a few bullets in him now and find more ammo in that barn up ahead, or the military tents in the next town, or the house beside the barn up ahead.

I will admit I have succumbed to this thought process a disturbing number of times lately, each time opening fire without thinking about which would be better. Thankfully I am a terrible shot from long distances and missed these players who ended up turning out to be friendly.

Thus I believe if ammo was rarer players would actually have to make a conscious decision of whether to kill another player or not and whether it would be more beneficial or not.

This would NOT destroy banditry, which I believe to be a completely valid strategy even if morally wrong, as bandits would still gain whatever ammo the killed player may have, I DO believe this will help eliminate the mindless KoS players seem to have where they won't even loot a corpse of a player they just killed.

And before I open up the floor to criticisms, comments and suggestions, I wish for people to understand that I am not a new player anymore. I have for the past week been bike riding around the north end of Chernarus hitting up towns attempting to find an offroad truck / tent so I can store some of the ridiculous stores of ammo I have found. I've also been hitting up crashed helis (which are also too common imo but I digress as that is being discussed in another thread) wherever I find them.

With that in mind I now open the floor to any comments, criticisms, or modification suggestions the community may have.

[/quote']

Ammo spawns do need some fixing. Next update will track everyones ammunition, even though some don't actually abuse this "bug", it still refills their ammunition every time they leave and rejoin. Today i found a crashed helicopter in 2 hours, yesterday in about 4 or 5 hours i found 2. The spawns of crashed helicopters are way too hight.

1) Lowering avaiability of ammo will not stop PKing. If I only have 10 shots and have a choice, kill a player in 1-2 shots or try to loot a spawn with 10-15 zeds the choice is easy; I kill the player and take his ammo.

2) This is a FPSMMO, I don't want ammo to be a rare thing.

If zombies were made more difficult' date=' that choice would become a little harder

[/quote']

Yes, that's what we need. I suggest we make zombies fly, for the sake of realism of course. Who's to say their infection won't make them develop wings?

If we make zombies harder, making a new character in DayZ will be even more of a brutal mindfuck than it already is for people like me, who don't have as much experience, and borderline impossible for any newbies.

i agree , everybody and their grandmother in chernarus seems to have stockpiled ammo and weapons before the outbreak . Even with a military presence , these items are too common.

osiris , a starting character is still piss easy, you just run to cherno or elektro and you are fully equipped from the 1 town.

hi,

I agree, weapon and ammo are way too common. For the sake of realism it should be easier to find box of matches, a map and a knife than a gun with ammo. Problem is it will become harder and maybe boring when you die/restart a caracter. By boring I mean if it takes 3 days before you find a rifle, a lot of players will give up. There's pros and cons but I'm to lower a bit weapon/ammo loot chance.

cya.

Nikiller.

1) Lowering avaiability of ammo will not stop PKing. If I only have 10 shots and have a choice' date=' kill a player in 1-2 shots or try to loot a spawn with 10-15 zeds the choice is easy; I kill the player and take his ammo.

[/quote']

It's not about stopping PKing but more about giving it a reason. At least in my opinion. What it will stop is spawncamping and killing for the hell of it which, also in my opinion, is a good thing.

1) Lowering avaiability of ammo will not stop PKing. If I only have 10 shots and have a choice' date=' kill a player in 1-2 shots or try to loot a spawn with 10-15 zeds the choice is easy; I kill the player and take his ammo.

[/quote']

I know this won't, and I am all for PvP. However,the killing of unarmed players is not PvP it's just as much PvE as it is to be killing the zombies. People already don't get ammo from the bodies of said players now removing the ability to walk into the nearest building and refill with 3 times as much ammo as before will likely stop that kind of killing.

And IIRC rocket never stated this as being a FPSMMO but more of a sandbox / simulator that aims to be semi realistic. A country like Chernarus might have a supply of hunting ammo at the onset of the outbreak, but this far in with as many survivors as there are out there right now, most places would be looted dry by the time our characters got there.

If I only have 10 shots and have a choice' date=' kill a player in 1-2 shots or try to loot a spawn with 10-15 zeds the choice is easy; I kill the player and take his ammo.

[/quote']

I've seen this argument a lot (reading the two threads on the same subject), but if the player you just spent 2 rounds killing turns out to have no ammo because there's very little ammo anywhere (and/or he returned fire on you), are you better or worse off than before? If ammo is really scarce you have to weigh this up before shooting.

As everyone is aware the game is rapidly becoming less zombie survival sim and more BF with zombies. It is my belief that this is likely because of the commonality of ammo spawns. Players do not have to worry about deciding whether to conserve ammo and let the guy firing a fullauto M16 into the air run away from them (even though they haven't been seen yet)' date=' or to simply shoot him.

[/quote']

Stop posting threads without reading patch notes please ....

1. READ THE PATCH NOTES THEY DO NOT NEED TO REDUCE AMMO. THERE IS CURRENTLY AN AMMO BUG THAT ALLOWS IT TO REFILL INFINITELY THAT IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE GAME IN .2

2. UNDER THE NEW PATCH 50% PERFORMANCE UPGRADE WILL ALLOW FOR MORE ZOMBIES AND SURVIVORS PER SERVER THUS LESS AMMO FOR YOU TO COLLECT BECAUSE OF MORE COMPETITION UNTILL THE PATCH LAUNCHES WE HAVE NO IDEA IF IT WILL BE BALANCED CORRECTLY STOP ASKING FOR THINGS ALREADY FIXED IN UNRELEASED PATCHES....

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18575

moderator please lock this nonsense whine thread....I left my cheese in my gillie suit...

@Hendtrix Thank you for bringin the immaturity that plagues the rest of these forums in here. You have assumed incorrectly that I have not read the patch notes. I understand what is entailed and in the other thread I have detailed these points.. If you will allow me a moment I shall retrieve them so they can be in this thread.

Btw nice copy + pasta. Good to see you really think about your arguments instead of just capslock spam.

EDIT: aaaand I'm back

@Hendrix

I'm not discounting that 1.7.2s tracking of ammo counts will make things more inline. But I think you put too much faith into it' date=' I can still visit any airbase / military tents and find more ammo than I would have gained by relogging into the server. As for the more players / zombies argument, you are aware some servers work on reduced player counts right now right, just because they CAN have more doesn't necessarily mean that the server admins will want to increase the count.

[/quote']

@Hendtrix Thank you for bringin the immaturity that plagues the rest of these forums in here. You have assumed incorrectly that I have not read the patch notes. I understand what is entailed and in the other thread I have detailed these points.. If you will allow me a moment I shall retrieve them so they can be in this thread.

Btw nice copy + pasta. Good to see you really think about your arguments instead of just capslock spam.

EDIT: aaaand I'm back

@Hendrix

I'm not discounting that 1.7.2s tracking of ammo counts will make things more inline. But I think you put too much faith into it' date=' I can still visit any airbase / military tents and find more ammo than I would have gained by relogging into the server. As for the more players / zombies argument, you are aware some servers work on reduced player counts right now right, just because they CAN have more doesn't necessarily mean that the server admins will want to increase the count.

[/quote']

I'm immature because you ignore the patch notes and keep starting threads that are pointless...mmkk...

1st they are not just tracking ammo in .2 , Ammo was infinite. If you had a leet weapon and 1 mag every time you relogged the mag would refill. Obviously if you have infinite ammo that is a problem wich was fixed in .2 and needs no further discussion.

2nd there will be more people in the game and more zombies and zombies have a random chance to see you even in prone or crouch in .2 so you will need to shoot more and there will be more people vying for the same ammo drops thus less ammo.

3rd you have not played the patch and are assuming it was not enough but the reason it has not launched is because they are doing extensive internal testing first, posting in forums that you know it won't be enough while they already stated they arn't releasing the latest patch till it is balanced correctly makes you seem like you are a self absorbed child....I suggest you stop spamming forums for fixes they already put in unreleased patches before I report you for abuse thank you and have a good day.

[/quote']

And in doing so you just aggroed the 15 zeds and your down 2 bullets, and after you loose the zeds you come to find out that player had no ammo or even a gun. Good job, you wasted ammo

Again with point 1: Ammo is still very common in military zones, yes people won't have the inifinite ammo they do now, but they still get more ammo from these spawn areas. I highly doubt major changes will be made.

2: you completely disregarded my point, server admins are the ones that control player population. These admins may not choose to add more player slots to their server in which case the theoretical increase in players will prove useless.

3: They are not doing internal testing JUST to see whether the ammo tracking makes the game too hard / easy. Notice there are MANY different changes in the notes. They are testing to make sure none of these break the game.

Finally I never stated I knew they wouldn't be enough, only that I believe YOU are putting too much faith in them. It may fix the situation, it may not until there has been sufficient time to study the results we won't know. This is a suggestion forum, I made a suggestion once, there was no spamming. If you did not wish to see the suggestion then there was nothing you needed to do. You merely had to let the thread die or live as it was fit.

If you guys are going for "realism", why not put GPS's in every car, because more people use GPS now than maps anyways...

Don't forget this is a game, and games are meant to be fun. IMO even with the reconnect ammo bug (refills your partially empty mags), you still don't have enough ammo. If you find ammo in RL, you usually find a ton of it. Maybe you should be able to stack mags in your inventory slots, so you could hold 1-10 mags in one slot depending on the weight of the mag (sniper ammo would be way heavier than makarov mags). That way we could have our gun-happy fun, but not make this a bummer where we get nothing for our looting efforts.

Also, I don't recommend making ammo less common... All that means is players are going to go straight for the throats of anyone that has something better than a pistol, in hopes that they will drop a nice gun & ammo.

Even if you have loads of guns and ammo, you can still get easily swarmed & doomed in even a small sized horde.

I agree, military ammo and sniper ammo,....should be more rare then the weapons.

This will push players to choose between a shot gun which will have a higher chance to find ammo for or keep that military weapon which might only have the rounds in the gun/one clip and ..take a chance that it might take a long time till you discover another clip of ammo.

But for this to work- you need to reset all player characters to remove the ammo stock piles, players have been hording for weeks.

I think ammo is already more than rare for me. I have 5 rounds for my M24 and cannot seem to find any more. Guess what I am saving that ammo for?

If zombies were made more difficult' date=' that choice would become a little harder

[/quote']

Yes, that's what we need. I suggest we make zombies fly, for the sake of realism of course. Who's to say their infection won't make them develop wings?

If we make zombies harder, making a new character in DayZ will be even more of a brutal mindfuck than it already is for people like me, who don't have as much experience, and borderline impossible for any newbies.

You're right, zombies are exactly as hard as they will ever need to be, despite anything else that may ever be added or subtracted from this game. How could I be so blind?

Stop posting threads without reading patch notes please ....

...posting in forums that you know it won't be enough while they already stated they arn't releasing the latest patch till it is balanced correctly makes you seem like you are a self absorbed child.

Are you just super-proud of your ability to read? Stop posting about the patch notes until you're really sure that anything you have to say is relevant.

The big kids have something called an "imagination". We can combine our knowledge of ammo spawns' date=' and a thorough reading of the patch notes, to envision the ammo balance that will result from the next patch - [i']before it even happens!. We can then consider that balance, and think about whether or not we still will want to change it (in the future).

It's sort of like remembering, but in the other direction.

Make ammo only available from unreliable spawns, like helicopter crashes, but make these kinds of events more common. That way, ammo cannot be camped or server hopped. Players will have to travel to get ammo, exposing themselves to danger.