Sign in to follow this  
GunnyITA

Handguns as first firearm

I think that 9 out 10 time we do play as a fresh spawn, most of the time we don't pick handguns because of no magazines.

Everyone going to pick a rifle because it's more practical, even a double barrel shotgun! And it does not take slots from inventory.

It's a logical think and i agree with that, i'm doing the same.....even if there's a thing i do not explain to myself, and it is  how you can put a rifle on your shoulders without a strap?

Same with a melee weapon off course...

By the way my point is not this, my point is another one.

I'm still thinking that whoever starts to play must start step by step with the weapons:

Handguns loot percentage is the same as some rifles, but you won't pick an handguns on early game because will take slots from your inventory...exept a more practical magnum.

So my opinion is that ALL RIFLES loot percentage must be reduced, and the handguns instead get increasing.

....On a post apocalyptic era would be more properly to see many wanderer/traveller or baby bandits with handguns instead of rifles of any kind.

...And it also would be fun to see more handguns firefight! ;)

What do you think? It's not that bad idea!

• Like 6

Totally promoting this idea, I love the step by step playing too (I am dissapointed if I find big backpacks early, screw them I want my school bag!).

It would be good if you need something to strap a rifle to your back, e.g. 2 belts or ropes. Maybe 1 belt / rope would be enough to strap a handgun to your side (improvised holster). And if they adjust the rarity ( later in the dev progress) we will see more handguns that way.

• Like 1

It would be good if you need something to strap a rifle to your back, e.g. 2 belts or ropes. Maybe 1 belt / rope would be enough to strap a handgun to your side (improvised holster). And if they adjust the rarity ( later in the dev progress) we will see more handguns that way.

If they will implement weapon-straps like you said, they need to increase the spawn-rate of rope (and maybe also belts) drastically. 

Right now rope is rare and some garages spawn it.

However, nearly every 2nd house should have 1.5-4m of rope.

This statement from you, I didn't expect that :O . Spawns can't be realistic ( 1. respawning 2. too much in a real scenario) Maybe every 2nd / 3rd trouser should have a belt. Or you can craft a rope with 4 rags. Something like that.

This statement from you, I didn't expect that :o . Spawns can't be realistic ( 1. respawning 2. too much in a real scenario) Maybe every 2nd / 3rd trouser should have a belt. Or you can craft a rope with 4 rags. Something like that.

:p

Additionally you should be able to cut leather into smaller stripes.

with these stripes you could tie someone up or "handcuff" him.

or combine 2-5 leather stripes and craft a rope out of them.

With the exception of the USA handguns are not the most commonly available firearm and I'd hazard a guess long arms are the most common firearm variety in the US regardless of the handgun culture. They are a lot harder to obtain in most countries and are banned outright where other firearms are permitted ie: UK.

The point of a double barrel/breach loading repeater is practicality, it's a self contained unit that's why I pick it. The reality of non (doh edit) cylinder pistols is more moving parts and pieces. After market mags and even your package deal mags aren't cheap. The secondary market is where profits are made as the margin on guns is quite small.

So thats's why is the pistol pretty much okay. Chest holster, speed, concealableility, handy zombie dispatcher, high ROF, there are many, many benefits for a pistol right now.

Could be room for movement mag spawn rate, heck maybe double wouldn't break the balance I feel but a pistol, with a good mag or two, is a special combo.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

With the exception of the USA handguns are not the most commonly available firearm, they are a lot harder to obtain in most countries and are banned outright where other firearms are permitted ie: UK.

The point of a double barrel/breach loading repeater is practicality, it's a self contained unit that's why I pick it. The reality of non chamber pistols is more moving parts and pieces.

That is balanced out pistol by the other benifits, chest holster, speed, concealableility, handy zombie dispatcher.

But ok! Double the mag spawn rate wouldn't break the balance I feel but a pistol is a special item.

Another idea would be to add a couple of other handguns...like a revolver chambered with .38 and a Tokarev ....and make  U.S. weapons even more rare, but with a damage chart superior.

With the exception of the USA handguns are not the most commonly available firearm, they are a lot harder to obtain in most countries and are banned outright where other firearms are permitted ie: UK.

The point of a double barrel/breach loading repeater is practicality, it's a self contained unit that's why I pick it. The reality of non chamber pistols is more moving parts and pieces.

That is balanced out by the other benifits, chest holster, speed, concealableility, handy zombie dispatcher.

But ok! Double the mag spawn rate wouldn't break the balance I feel but a pistol is a special item.

Pretty much what this guy said, you can't hunt very well with a pistol (There are exceptions but that's mostly to kill/scare off an attacking animal.  You don't go into the woods with a Glock expecting to come home with food).  Pistols are more for defense (and as said, are harder to legally obtain in most countries), and if you have a hunting rifle or shotgun you have your home defense gun right there without an additional purchase.

While the spawn rate of pistols and magazines definitely needs adjusting, I wouldn't necessarily promote making them the most common weapons. I could stand behind requiring slings/straps/ropes in order to carry long guns on your back, but I'd still say guns like the IZH-43, Sporter-22, and Blaze 95 should probably be towards the more common end.

Yeah, guns like the Makarov and P1 shouldn't be rare, but I don't think every other person needs one, the utility of having a handgun is much larger than you'd think.

If they will implement weapon-straps like you said, they need to increase the spawn-rate of rope (and maybe also belts) drastically. 

Right now rope is rare and some garages spawn it.

Actually, there's small lengths of string everywhere, you just can't access them; like shoe laces and draw strings from hoodies.

With the exception of the USA handguns are not the most commonly available firearm and I'd hazard a guess long arms are the most common firearm variety in the US regardless of the handgun culture. They are a lot harder to obtain in most countries and are banned outright where other firearms are permitted ie: UK.

The point of a double barrel/breach loading repeater is practicality, it's a self contained unit that's why I pick it. The reality of non (doh edit) cylinder pistols is more moving parts and pieces. After market mags and even your package deal mags aren't cheap. The secondary market is where profits are made the margin on guns is quite small.

So why is the pistol pretty much okay? Chest holster, speed, concealableility, handy zombie dispatcher, high ROF, there are many, many benefits for a pistol right now.

But ok! Double the mag spawn rate wouldn't break the balance I feel but a pistol, with a good mag or two, is a special item.

This is one of those areas where you have to remember that this is a game and some things have to done to accommodate gameplay. Having handguns more prevalent than rifles is good for gameplay in my opinion. Draws people into closer ranges in the early stages of their lives, which then drives more player interaction. Things like crafting a bow and the crossbow would also get a boost in usability as like someone else stated, a handgun is not ideal for hunting. It's just win-win all around if handguns become more prevalent.

While the spawn rate of pistols and magazines definitely needs adjusting, I wouldn't necessarily promote making them the most common weapons. I could stand behind requiring slings/straps/ropes in order to carry long guns on your back, but I'd still say guns like the IZH-43, Sporter-22, and Blaze 95 should probably be towards the more common end.

Yeah, guns like the Makarov and P1 shouldn't be rare, but I don't think every other person needs one, the utility of having a handgun is much larger than you'd think.

My point is that loot percentage must be changed on both rifle and handguns.

If the percentage for exampe is 50% and 50% ....my idea is to make 70% for handguns and 30% for rifles...off course snaploaders and magazines for civ weapons percentage will be the same, but it must be increased slightly the loot percentage of handguns magazines.

Then if there are too many U.S. Weapons, maibe adding another revolver chambered with .38 would also help those that have troubles finding magazines. The damage of a 38 is quite the same as a 9mm, but at least it's a firearm that you pickup and it is ready to shoot.

Plus the .38 can also be chambered in the 357 magnum! :) ...So the .38 bullets would have 2 guns to fit with :)

About The civ rifles like Sporter i agree with you that percentage of loot for it must be increase, in particular the 30 round mag. People still avoid it because of the rarity of the magazines and the damage it does.

There are no handguns firefight in the game, and would be nice to see them and watch people shooting from a building to another also from 30 metres distance where it is pretty difficult to hit something....but still entertaining! :)

Edited by GunnyITA

My point is that loot percentage must be changed on both rifle and handguns.

If the percentage for exampe is 50% and 50% ....my idea is to make 70% for handguns and 30% for rifles...off course snaploaders and magazines for civ weapons percentage will be the same, but it must be increased slightly the loot percentage of handguns magazines.

Then if there are too many U.S. Weapons, maibe adding another revolver chambered with .38 would also help those that have troubles finding magazines. The damage of a 38 is quite the same as a 9mm, but at least it's a firearm that you pickup and it is ready to shoot.

Plus the .38 can also be chambered in the 357 magnum! :) ...So the .38 bullets would have 2 guns to fit with :)

About The civ rifles like Sporter i agree with you that percentage of loot for it must be increase, in particular the 30 round mag. People still avoid it because of the rarity of the magazines and the damage it does.

There are no handguns firefight in the game, and would be nice to see them and watch people shooting from a building to another also from 30 metres distance where it is pretty difficult to hit something....but still entertaining! :)

Well, I agree, but I still think there should be a balance. Obviously ARs, SMGs, battle rifles, sniper rifles, MGs, grenade launchers, and whatnot should be really rare compared to most other guns, and more powerful/easy to utilize civilian weapons like the SKS should also be hard to find.

I can agree to having pistols becoming more significant in combat overall, but I still feel that the majority of weapons should be the true lowest end guns - some pistols, like the Makarov & P1, as well as low-performing rifles like the CR527 and IZH-43.

Hunting rifles and shotguns are way more common with civilians in Europe (especially in rural areas) than handguns. Here in Finland you can't even get a handgun until you own a few rifles and have gone through some license shit with the police. The current weapon system is pretty good, even though it needs some work with the types of guns that spawn in police stations and military spawns. And Makarov definitely should be the most common handgun in civilian spawns, notably.

A way to make pistols work for freshspawns would be to make it possible to stick it in your waistband, at the risk of an accidental discharge with chance to injure.

A way to make pistols work for freshspawns would be to make it possible to stick it in your waistband, at the risk of an accidental discharge with chance to injure.

or stick it in the front/side between belly/hip and pants/belt (like these guys in several movies) with the risk of shooting your balls off/in the leg xDD

Edited by irishroy

or stick it in the front/side between belly/hip and pants/belt (like these guys in several movies) with the risk of shooting your balls off/in the leg xDD

I know someone that did that, as he was getting out of a car (gun in front of pants) 9mm round shot out one nut then into the leg, travelled down the leg and exited the calf. This in itself is bad enough but the guy REALLY should have known better considering what he did and still does for a living. He definitely learnt his lesson the hard way and is far from proud of that idiotic moment.

You should have to option to where to put it, i agree it's just better than  being forced as having it as main weapon.