Sign in to follow this  
David375

New Idea: Soundmakers and IED's

So I had a genius idea when watching a video of GoldenGloveTV's, where he was alerted to Allie's group at NWAF all the way across the airfield by gunfire. Then I thought of a previous video I had watched of a guy testing how long it would take to cook off a round of .50BMG in a microwave, and it hit me:

Why couldn't we use current cooking utensils plus the item heat mechanic to cook off ammunition as a noisemaker/distraction?

Say, for example, you build a fireplace (or a cooking pot/gas stove setup) and throw 20 some spare AKM or .22LR rounds in (which seem super common now), Then, after the ammo pile reaches a certain heat level (like that of cooking meat), it consumes one round to "fire" the round, making a gunshot noise*, which could be used to distract zombies in a city. After they are fully heated, they launch off at an interval, say, every 30-90 seconds. A couple of these with different ammo types could simulate a gunfight and draw in other players.

Even more realistic, the fireplace actually launches a round in a random direction to represent the bullet firing, giving a "frag-grenade-esque" danger that you don't want to be near when one goes off. Multiple stacks of ammo would increase the frequency of fired rounds, and larger ammo stacks increase the duration of the effect (50 rounds of 22LR vs 20 rounds AKM, takes a lot more time for the 22LR)

Finally, if bullets were actually fired from the fireplace, they would have highly reduced damage (because there is no barrel to contain the gases and increase the speed of the bullet, so they go much slower and thus don't hit as hard, although larger calibers should still seriously hurt stuff)

Now, onto the other idea. The gas canisters IRL always talk about "do not puncture, do not expose to flames", so what about making a craftable IED made from a Walkie-Talkie, a Gas Canister, a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a battery? You could use a walkie-talkie on your end to detonate it by typing or talking into it, and would provide utility to screwdrivers and pliers besides being a cheap can opener.

Or, as with the heating mechanic for ammunition as mentioned above, putting a canister in a campfire or cooking pot (probably small only for the cooking pot) could set it off after the heating time. This would be good because it gives you time to get the hell outta Dodge before it blows, and could be used to bring down a building with people in it (Somebody camping in a prison building or barracks? bring it down on his ass).

One last thing, perhaps proper noisemakers like small fireworks could be used as a more portable, more proper noisemaker that could be lit with matches and thrown, although I am not sure how it would sound in game. Maybe some light effects as well for night-time fun?

• Like 2

Yo, should probably copy pasta this into suggestions forum, but there's been a few like it recently.

Don't know about the LPG thing.  The gas wants to find the point of weakness, then will flood out of that point, the cannisters are built specifically not to explode like a bomb for the most part.  If they catch fire, i was taught that you're better off letting them burn off as the pressure keeps the flame out of the can, and there's not enough oxygen inside to allow for combustion and subsequent explosion.

They can explosively decompress, but that's not quite the same thing.  By the time enough gas has left to let in enough air, the pressure has died and the bottle will just cough and splutter.

Someone recently posted a 'statement' from bi / someone that they weren't going to allow for booby traps, although the mod did have bear-traps.  Makes me slightly :( at no booby traps into future, but then i'm pretty sure they also said no AK way back when...

Also, not sure if you're hinting at something with your avatar's location, but that level was fucking impossible for me without using knuckles.  Sonic/Tails i'd always get stuck in this one damn spot where you're trapped in a room with the spring board and could never build up the momentum to get high enough.  Despite seeing other people on youtube finish it off I could never make it happen.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Someone recently posted a 'statement' from bi / someone that they weren't going to allow for booby traps, although the mod did have bear-traps.  Makes me slightly :( at no booby traps into future, but then i'm pretty sure they also said no AK way back when...

Do you have a source? Because booby traps are a thing they've talked about having quite a bit.  In fact, there's a model for one in the files if I'm not mistaken?

Here's a tweet by chris torchia from a while back

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

no i don't and neither did they.  That's why i had it in apostrophe, because they said that the devs were against it but didn't give any source, which i found odd given there were beartraps in mod.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/209493-booby-trap-your-gear/ was the location that i'm describing:

a_ruttle, on 30 Aug 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:snapback.png

They've already said booby trapping of gear is a no go, it's completely indiscriminate and overpowered for want of a better word. Land mines and beartraps that reset on server wipe could be possible though.

Now if what he said was true, you could read into that and still think 'booby trapped gear - no, booby trap general -yes.' and then just lay death around your stuff... but i haven't followed it that closely.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'll try to get this moved if I can figure out how.

Yo, should probably copy pasta this into suggestions forum, but there's been a few like it recently.

Don't know about the LPG thing.  The gas wants to find the point of weakness, then will flood out of that point, the cannisters are built specifically not to explode like a bomb for the most part.  If they catch fire, i was taught that you're better off letting them burn off as the pressure keeps the flame out of the can, and there's not enough oxygen inside to allow for combustion and subsequent explosion.

They can explosively decompress, but that's not quite the same thing.  By the time enough gas has left to let in enough air, the pressure has died and the bottle will just cough and splutter.

[...]

Also, not sure if you're hinting at something with your avatar's location, but that level was fucking impossible for me without using knuckles.  Sonic/Tails i'd always get stuck in this one damn spot where you're trapped in a room with the spring board and could never build up the momentum to get high enough.  Despite seeing other people on youtube finish it off I could never make it happen.

You mean L4D has been lying to me for years about exploding propane tanks? Screw you Valve, even if you release HL3 I ain't playin' it cuz of that bullshit.

That being said, I never knew about companies overbuilding gas tanks for that, but I should have guessed it. What about Oxygen tanks from hospitals? I remember hearing something about pure oxygen being very explosive , but that the nitrogen in our air prevents it from becoming truly explosive. Maybe we could use oxygen tanks instead then?

Also, yes, I have an original copy of the StH: Advance 1 game, and I love that level in particular. Played that game so many times I wore mine out and had to buy my brother's copy off him (pretty much mint condition cuz he didn't take to the StH series so well, and thus rarely played it). I try to speedrun and high-score that game annually. Also, Tails can clear any level, hands down.

Fire needs three things to start and to survive:

Heat (energy)

Fuel

Oxygen

Oxygen is very dangerous in pure-form and will allow for an extremely fast combustion rate (read explosion) but by its self, it is not 'flammable'.  It facilitates combustion of chemicals.  It is known as an 'oxidiser'.  You're right though that the other gasses (mostly Nitrogen) limit the rate of combustion at the surface.

Hydrogen gas + O2 + Heat __>Fire (energy release)___> water

Carbon + O2 + Heat ___>Fire(energy release)___>C02

Pure oxygen is also toxic below certain values of sea-level (which is one reason why Helium is mixed in diving tanks).  I believe it has something to do with solubility in blood (air bubbles in hydraulic systems are bad mmkay).  You're better off gassing people with it. Very euphoric death, until bubbles start slamming into your heart valves. 

Yup, sorry but you've been lied to ;)  Fuel barrels and LPG tanks don't readily explode, and cars falling from bridges also don't burst into flames too often.  That being said, if you puncture a LPG tank in your hands or near you, it's going to throw sharpnel about, and if the hole is big enough it may well just start flying around the room and slam into you a few times too many for your liking. Balloons explode, if you want something like a bomb you need to work a little harder.

Grenades, or home made explosives using propellant from shotguns or something wouldn't be too bad.  Black powder and nails/bullets packed into a tin can should make someone rather upset.

I dont' think it's quite 'overbuilding/engineering' it's just the way things work.  That's why your kettle has a hole in it, so it doesn't pop.  Now the steam in a kettle shouldn't get the pressure up THAT high, but as a safety and practical measure it works. Bombs are designed to throw fragments everywhere, or have a reasonably symmetrical blast (unless theyr'e shaped like C4/cutting charges).  Most stuff you'd find around your house to blow up would pop one or two ways i'd expect (please don't try this :P )

On topic (heavily derailed by me)

I'd like to see some the last of us IEDs and such, and this is a game so reality doesn't really mean that much.  Lets have exploding LPG tanks and the like, but given we've got rope and grenades a tripwire wouldn't be out of the ball park.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Awhile back they had the art assets for a Flare Duct-taped Spraypaint can rigging that was basically a IED, No idea why it hasn't been fully implemented yet.

no i don't and neither did they.  That's why i had it in apostrophe, because they said that the devs were against it but didn't give any source, which i found odd given there were beartraps in mod.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/209493-booby-trap-your-gear/ was the location that i'm describing:

a_ruttle, on 30 Aug 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:snapback.png

Now if what he said was true, you could read into that and still think 'booby trapped gear - no, booby trap general -yes.' and then just lay death around your stuff... but i haven't followed it that closely.

Beartraps and floor based traps are grand, trapping and sabotaging loot etc is not. It's pretty obvious why.

Beartraps and floor based traps are grand, trapping and sabotaging loot etc is not. It's pretty obvious why.

What about using loot as bait for said traps?

I'm not really for leaving bombs and such in backpacks throughout barracks, and i'm sure a beartrap would stand out on an asphalt road, but when people like yourself say 'trapping loot' do you mean putting things 'inside' the object, or what?

Fire needs three things to start and to survive:

Heat (energy)

Fuel

Oxygen

Oxygen is very dangerous in pure-form and will allow for an extremely fast combustion rate (read explosion) but by its self, it is not 'flammable'.  It facilitates combustion of chemicals.  It is known as an 'oxidiser'.  You're right though that the other gasses (mostly Nitrogen) limit the rate of combustion at the surface.

Hydrogen gas + O2 + Heat __>Fire (energy release)___> water

Carbon + O2 + Heat ___>Fire(energy release)___>C02

Pure oxygen is also toxic below certain values of sea-level (which is one reason why Helium is mixed in diving tanks).  I believe it has something to do with solubility in blood (air bubbles in hydraulic systems are bad mmkay).  You're better off gassing people with it. Very euphoric death, until bubbles start slamming into your heart valves. 

Yup, sorry but you've been lied to ;)  Fuel barrels and LPG tanks don't readily explode, and cars falling from bridges also don't burst into flames too often.  That being said, if you puncture a LPG tank in your hands or near you, it's going to throw sharpnel about, and if the hole is big enough it may well just start flying around the room and slam into you a few times too many for your liking. Balloons explode, if you want something like a bomb you need to work a little harder.

Grenades, or home made explosives using propellant from shotguns or something wouldn't be too bad.  Black powder and nails/bullets packed into a tin can should make someone rather upset.

I dont' think it's quite 'overbuilding/engineering' it's just the way things work.  That's why your kettle has a hole in it, so it doesn't pop.  Now the steam in a kettle shouldn't get the pressure up THAT high, but as a safety and practical measure it works. Bombs are designed to throw fragments everywhere, or have a reasonably symmetrical blast (unless theyr'e shaped like C4/cutting charges).  Most stuff you'd find around your house to blow up would pop one or two ways i'd expect (please don't try this :P )

On topic (heavily derailed by me)

I'd like to see some the last of us IEDs and such, and this is a game so reality doesn't really mean that much.  Lets have exploding LPG tanks and the like, but given we've got rope and grenades a tripwire wouldn't be out of the ball park.

OK, to respond to this post in order:

1: Chemistry stuff: All that shit I loved from last year's class 'cuz my teacher was very bright, but he kept the room very stuffy and I often became too drowsy to speak, much less write things down. Wish I could have gotten more out of the class, but oh well, Physics takes too much time ATM. Shoulda picked his brain, being a Harvey Mudd graduate and all. Cool dude.

2: The L4D thing was a joke, I hope you recognize that. Thanks for the cool lengthy response though.

3: Grenades + tripwires: This would be fantastic, and could make for interesting uses of the flashbang and frag grenade. Gunpowder wouldn't be bad either, especially if they added other kinds of explosives of the sort. I would still like to see some sort of demolition charge for building destruction like C4, but I have a feeling that would be too rare to be effective, so something homemade like dirty bombs.

4: Diving + Oxygen tank: Yes, Helium is added to the tank to replace the Nitrogen in your blood, because when a diver ascends too fast it causes the nitrogen to bubble up, which causes the stated effect (I believe). Don't quote me on that, but I am 100% sure it has to do with the nitrogen in the bloodstream.

Finally, on the topic of grenades, a homemade Molotov Cocktail would be great. It's clear that gas station still have gasoline in them (because they can be blown up), so how about using garbage bottles, a rag, and a match to create a molotov? Or perhaps using Rasputin Kvass, as I've heard beer burns relatively well (not as good as hard alcohol as demonstrated by burning shots, but still). Even further on that, perhaps the Alcohol Tincture could work as well? All alcohols or fuels should be able to be put in a bottle and thrown (despite there not being a proper glass bottle in the game yet, it was in the Mod and shouldn't be too hard to add).

Also, speaking of "out of the ball park", they should add Spiked baseball bats soon. That would be dope.

Edited by David375
  • Like 1

Also, I noticed your avatar is one of the Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Thank you

Yes. The very first to make that screaming weasel show his full potential.

If you can light your beer, well you're probably russian.

skip straight to 13:50 for the lulz should you so desire.  Please excuse the updated graphics :(

you should have a hard time lighting anything under 40% ethanol to my knowledge, that's around 80proof. hehe.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

What about using loot as bait for said traps?

I'm not really for leaving bombs and such in backpacks throughout barracks, and i'm sure a beartrap would stand out on an asphalt road, but when people like yourself say 'trapping loot' do you mean putting things 'inside' the object, or what?

Basically a system whereby you can right click say a weapon you cant carry and ruin it, or a system where you can rig a piece of loot with explosives to kill anyone who tries to pick it up, if they add beartraps and landmines leaving one under some loot wouldnt be a problem as they'd be easy enough to spot

yeah ok so we're on teh same page.  Leaving them in packs i'm not really for... but then you could just hide them under bigger things / honey pots like multiple bean tins or MainROT when they come out ;) ;) ;)