Sign in to follow this  
The Aquatic Land Walrus

POLL: What if DayZ was made by a different company?

Would DayZ be similar/different if made by a different group?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would DayZ feel and play differently?

• DayZ would be less organic and more restrictive, somewhat like a sandbox themed The Last Of Us
    • DayZ would be far more organic and feel like a true, perfect survival game (More options to approach/engage threats,non-threats)
    • DayZ would still be at least similar to its current condition
  2. 2. Would DayZ have more or less glitches? Would the base systems such as movement feel less clunky?

• There would be far fewer glitches. DayZ would feel less clunky and glitchy and more responsive and realistic.
    • DayZ would be glitchier. Some major systems such as firearms and consumables would be bugged up the ass.
    • DayZ's glitch status would likely stay the same, or change nearly unnoticably
  3. 3. Do you think DayZ would have any different features, such as destructable world, easter eggs etc?

• DayZ would be largely different with Battlefield-esque destructable worlds possibly, or other large game-changers along the lines.
    • DayZ would largely stay the same feature-wise with only a few changes

Jeeeezzzussssss that poll is awkward as hell...BUT!...interesting topic (there was a split second of click panic coming on though :P)

Hmm...what other dev really does the 'sim' thing .

*Bethesda somebody/ies says? Fuck I'm over their games, Skryim was the last straw. Any MMO/RPG based dev wouldn't be ideal, number crunching isn't part of the dayz vibe

*THQ/Deep Sliver/GSC draw comparison but they come with a different more linear vibe and their own host of glitches that never really were resolved

*Anything else i feel is still to arcadey for DayZ

Edited by Trizzo

and you base this assumption on what exactly ?

Star Citizen has over 3 major offices and over 300 full time staff.

Got any other questions?

Star Citizen has over 3 major offices and over 300 full time staff.

Got any other questions?

got 53 Million ?

*yawns*

got 53 Million ?

*yawns*

What are you talking about? Are you saying Dayz didn't make enough millions in sales to hire the same amount of staff as star citizen?

Star citizen was started by a single guy, not an entire company like Bohemia with 50 million in alpha sales.

Are you sure you want to go down this road of saying Star Citizen has 300 full time staff because they have more money than Bohemia? That makes no sense. Bohemia has the entire Arma series of games and the 40 to 50 million in Dayz sales alone, while Star Citizen was started by one freaking person (who did get a decent amount of start up money) and has 300 full time staff to make the game perfect when it's done.

Edited by hothtimeblues

If DayZ were made by a different company, then it wouldn't be DayZ. Simple as that.

Would look, feel, & play entirely different. & this topic wouldn't exist considering we're on the DayZ forums  ;)

For what it's worth I didn't vote. I feel it's redundant.

• Like 1

*Jimmy rustler snippet*

that whole paragraph made so Little sense i could barly raise my hand for the obligatory facepalm...

Chris Roberts certainly dident tackle star citizen alone to beginn with..ah heck why argue with someone that never had the pleasure to install wing commander from floppy disks... :D

see from what i gather from the pletoria of your Posts...you certainly dont like the game, the Company and know everything better than anyone...why not just...drop it for a while... :D

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

If it was one of the big AAA studios, it would probably be a more conservative approach, none of this perma death thing because you can't afford to turn away customers, probably a much more limited potential for player to player griefing (frustration management again).

If it would be a project they would carry at all.

Im no expert on this stuff, but im pretty sure it shouldn't take this long to get to where we are, and with this number of bugs. For me this is a prime reason why early access doesn't work for the public; as it removes the motivation from the developers to invest the money they've already made in development.

If i was sitting in a Bohemia boardroom, i'd see i've made my money on this little title and be really reluctant to continue to fund its development beyond the bare mimimum needed to keep the playerbase happy. Which is why i suspect that even after 2million+ copies sold its still running on a skeleton team.

I also suspect the only reason its ALLOWED to toodle through its development is out of some kind of misplaced loyalty to Dean himself. I think once he's out the way you might see development go no further, with team re-prioritsed to polish the game as it stands.

What I ultimately think you'll see is the game released this time next year after Dean goes at Xmas, ultimately missing half the stuff promised, the rest following with paid DLC - its the only way its financially viable because every minute Dean spends fucking around with the game its money taken being eaten into, 3-4 years worth of development costs a fortune even with a small team.

Once released though They'll almost immediately announce the DLC and a few months later DayZ2. But this time DAYZ2 will be created in 6 months from bang to buck, because they'll have no basis of requesting early access this time and will proove how quickly DAYZ could have been be created in the first placed.

Hell it wouldn;t supprise me if Bohemia don't already have a person locked away in a dark cupboard speccing out DayZ2. 

Edited by foxdie_01
  • Like 1

got 53 Million ?

*yawns*

I thought Star Citizen had way more than 53 million dollars now ?

All the cash of course being crowd funded.

One of the upsides of this approach is that they do not have to cater to a publishers time tables no deadlines, no catering to the casual gamer for potential sales.

From the ground up Star Citizen might potentially be a pure hardcore complex game.

Elite dangerous has followed this same approach and it looks fantastically hardcore even in this early stage.

I wish Dayz was made by grown men using diapers...only that way Dayz could have been better.

My background and experience: 10 years on gaming forums reading what the kids know about game development.

In my humble opinion, only Bohemia could pull something off like this. Whether you like it or not, Real Virtuality is the only real game engine that can support this kind of scale with a very complex world. You can say it isn't RV anymore, but that's like saying that Dunia isn't Cryengine. Shure, it's a branchoff- but the engines will be inherently similar. Seeing as DayZ breakthroughs are being implemented into A3 quite often (just check A3 changelogs), the games will probably still be pretty similar even after full release.

You can't beat Bohemia on ballistic simulation. You still can't beat Bohemia on texture quality; all those beautiful models aren't generated separately from normal world models like Cryengine and Unreal, they're actually that detailed. Operation Flashpoint was an innovative game and probably one of the best shooters ever made. ArmA 2 is also, arguably, one of the best shooters ever made (yes, it is a shooter, not a sim).

I can say with confidence that we can trust BIS. They're a reliable company that doesn't bullshit it's customers, and have made some excellent games in their fifteen years of existence.

Anything else would probably be repetitive, arcadey, or focus on the wrong things. It's a godsend Bohemia took the standalone under its wings.

Well obviously if dayz was made by a different company they wouldn't be using an outdated engine and trying to polish it.

No serious company would have allowed only 35 staff members for the first 6 months, so I wish different company did own the concept.

Without bi there would be no dayZ there would be no chenarus, you ignorant gronk cunt.