Sign in to follow this  
suprmn4105

Chicago 56 Bug or Abuse?

I only recently started playing Day Z about 48 hours ago. I love it! I'm addicted. I had an issue on Chicago 56 however, an issue that genuinely concerns me.

After several deaths, I was finally able to get my barrings and spent about 6 hours working on a new character. 4 of those 6 hours were spent on the Chicago 56 server between 10pm to 2am on 6/29. Around 2am (GMT -4:00)on 6/29 while playing, my screen flashes and I get the "You are dead" screen. I am shocked to say the least given no zombies were around. Then I see in the lower left about 30 names scroll down all saying "player" is dead. Then those players start chiming in and a large purge of angered "WTF just happened!", "Who did that!", "Why did we all die?", etc. ensues. I realize that it seems that everyone on the server was killed instantly and had to start from scratch.

I honestly spend about 10 minutes mourning the death of my character, I was doing so well and was extremely excited at the progress I had made, and then another 10 minutes deciding if I even wanted to start over at all. Over 6 hours wasted and for nothing at no fault to my own.

Even though this happened about 24 hours ago, I was encouraged by a friend to make a post (since I don't see where anyone else did), and try to get to the bottom of what happened.

I just want to know if this was some giant glitch/bug, or some admin jacking around with the players on the server.

Thanks for a great game!

Why do you automatically assume it's an admin dicking around?

For the thousandth time, admins do NOT have the power to kill players with commands or spawn in nukes.

Can people now please stop blaming us admins every time something bad happens? Do you know how fun it is paying for a server so you guys can play, then getting blamed every time something goes wrong or a hacker kills you?

Why do you automatically assume it's an admin dicking around?

For the thousandth time' date=' admins do NOT have the power to kill players with commands or spawn in nukes.

Can people now please stop blaming us admins every time something bad happens? Do you know how fun it is paying for a server so you guys can play, then getting blamed every time something goes wrong or a hacker kills you?

[/quote']

If you read the post, I did not assume anything. Logically it was one of two thing, bug or abuse. I made this post to figure out which. I did not outright assume it was an admin. I don't know what power the admins have or do no have. Given that I stated in my original post that I am new to this game, why would you assume I know anything about what admins can or cannot do. I appreciate the folks that host, pay for, and run these servers, but that does not mean that if given the power there won't be a bad apple in the bunch that abuse it.

A hacker nuked your server get used to it as of yet there is no way to prevent the hackers from doing what they do.

Is this accurate? Is this a known bug seen on other servers? What do you mean when you say they nuked it? The server wasn't restarted, as most everyone was able to re-spawn immediately. Is there a back-end command to kill off all players on the server?