Sign in to follow this  
Alkyan

Shotgun's quite powerfull now?

Hello everyone,

I was lurking around berezhino, lightly geared with only a shotgun and fews bucks when I got engaged by 3 guys fully geared with M4. I shot the first one who was rushing me without any convictions (I always assumed that the shotgun was extremely bad...). He instantly died from one bullet, at maybe 30 meters (I vaguely aimed for the neck, no idea where the bullet actually hit). Then I saw that one of his mate was trying to flank me, I waited for him at the wall's corner. Again I shot, this time right in the chest, instant death. Pick up his M4 (with unlimited ammos) and run away.

I got to say, I was really surprised to be able to take out those guys, fully geared with hight capacity vests with one single shot. Was it luck or the shotgun is now the most powerful gun at close range? Did anyone had the time to test it properly in PvP? I feel like mosin's shots fail at taking out players in one shot in the chest most of the time. U

And usually, I need two or 3 shots of AKM/Sks. 

Anyway, I have to share how I died few minutes later. I met a new spawn who managed to loot the backpack of one of the dead guys. He told me, "dude, the backpack is full of grenades, I'll drop some for you", and drop 5 or 6 grenades on the grounds. I started picking up the nades, and I'm " thanks man !" when I heard a explosion and I got the "you are dead screen" with the guys laughing : " I had to do it, sorry hahahaha :D ".

The bastard drop a activated grenade as well :)

:D hillarious death. Yea its quite strong now but imo does not serve its purpose. That what's it doing right now should be the green ammo, namely shotgun shells/slugs. Pellets (red shotgun ammo) are supposed to fragment and they did so 2 months ago. Even though you had success with it against some dupernoobs, still does not make me want to pick that thing up. I need it for clearing out rooms primarily, and when you do that do don't want to expose yourself for more than a second, because otherwise you will just die due to desyncing issues. So basicly I need a high fragmenting shotgun that i can just roughly point in a room towards a target and wound or kill said target.

You know, just like they used to be 2 months ago.

-,-

If a guy shot you through the chest with a shotgun would you die?

Well in real life yes, but DayZ is an video game and anything is possible :D. Few weeks ago you could shoot someone 2-4 for times to chest with an shotgun. That person would still circle around you.
  • Like 3

The shotgun is borderline overpowered, the only real drawbacks being its limited capacity and the inability to eject loaded rounds, resulting in having to empty both before being able to do a full reload.  Chest (and head of course) shots are nearly always 1 hit kills.  The accuracy is very good, albeit shots seem to go a bit higher than expected.

It's buggy in all regards, the spread is nonexistent (as mentioned it's essentially a slug), the damage is too high for what it is, and reloading is fucked up.

I've always used the double barrel, and while I enjoy it being as powerful as it is, I'd rather see it working properly instead.

The shotgun is borderline overpowered, the only real drawbacks being its limited capacity and the inability to eject loaded rounds, resulting in having to empty both before being able to do a full reload.  Chest (and head of course) shots are nearly always 1 hit kills.  The accuracy is very good, albeit shots seem to go a bit higher than expected.

It's buggy in all regards, the spread is nonexistent (as mentioned it's essentially a slug), the damage is too high for what it is, and reloading is fucked up.

I've always used the double barrel, and while I enjoy it being as powerful as it is, I'd rather see it working properly instead.

Oh no, we don't need anymore more nerfs. Look what everyone's terrible opinion did to the Mosin and Crossbow. >.>

Oh no, we don't need anymore more nerfs. Look what everyone's terrible opinion did to the Mosin and Crossbow. >.>

I'm not talking about a nerf, I'm talking about fixing it.  There is nothing about the current shotgun that is functioning as it is supposed to.

And in real life, a shotgun loaded with buckshot would be accurate out to 100 meters. People have this idea that shotguns fire this great. big, stupid CONE of shot.  It is actually pretty compact, with shot patterns (depending on  gun characteristics,load, length of shell, and choke, etc)  being roughly pie-plate accurate to 100 meters, with little "overpenetration" of walls ( and innocent civilians, which is why in the US, police recommend you own a shotgun for home defense, not a handgun) Said shot will also kill you dead at 100 meters as it will at 10.

And, with slugs, hoo boy. A 12g slug (which is, essentially, a .69 caliber bullet) can have ranges similar to most rifles, so long as you have a stable shooting platform. My home state (Massachusetts, "where fun goes to die"), outlaws rifles for hunting, but you can use a shotgun. Plus, anything you hit with a 12g slug tends to die pretty quickly, due to the (relatively) slow velocity and high mass of the slug, versus a high-powered (read: high velocity)  rifle bullet.

In reality, a 12 gauge shotgun would be the #1 firearm to survive the zombie apocalypse. There is a plethora of rounds (birdshot, buckshot, slugs, flares, nonlethals doorbreachers, etc) to choose from, 12 gauge is EXTREMELY commonplace, it can kill everything from a rabbit up to a bear with proper shot placement, maintenance is easy (and with a double barrel, even easier, with fewer moving parts)

Day Z standalone does not do the shotgun justice.

When the devs get around to implementing the pump shotgun, I'll leave ARs behind without a thought. A pump with buckshot and slugs is an excellent survival weapon. Paired with a longhorn, you're more than capable of defending yourself from multiple aggressors.

My main concern is with how reloading will be handled. Having to play the full, 6 round loading animation everytime you want to pop a shell or two into the tube will be incredibly crippling. Keeping your tube consistently fed is the challenge and fun of using a pump.

And in real life, a shotgun loaded with buckshot would be accurate out to 100 meters. People have this idea that shotguns fire this great. big, stupid CONE of shot.  It is actually pretty compact, with shot patterns (depending on  gun characteristics,load, length of shell, and choke, etc)  being roughly pie-plate accurate to 100 meters.

That's the big one.

I remember reading a story where a couple guys went shooting and noguns guy takes the shotgun, aims it at the truck 100m away and shoots and is absolutely stunned that it doesn't act like in games when they go inspect the peppered truck.

Doom is the best representation of shotguns.

Seems too random for me.  My pal got shot, point blank, yesterday, in a stairwell, and the guy broke his arm and that was all.  Point blank.  Guy with the shotgun died a second later.  Point blank shotguns should be death.

When the devs get around to implementing the pump shotgun, I'll leave ARs behind without a thought. A pump with buckshot and slugs is an excellent survival weapon. Paired with a longhorn, you're more than capable of defending yourself from multiple aggressors.

My main concern is with how reloading will be handled. Having to play the full, 6 round loading animation everytime you want to pop a shell or two into the tube will be incredibly crippling. Keeping your tube consistently fed is the challenge and fun of using a pump.

I believe the reason they're holding off so far on implementing the pump shotgun is because they are planning to rework the way reloading works in general.  Hopefully it will mean no longer having to empty out guns (and the bows which are even more silly in that respect) that wouldn't realistically require it, just to add more rounds.

Seems too random for me.  My pal got shot, point blank, yesterday, in a stairwell, and the guy broke his arm and that was all.  Point blank.  Guy with the shotgun died a second later.  Point blank shotguns should be death.

This happened to me the other day, except I was the one with the shotgun.  It lead me to believe the patch notes about the damage being altered were true, but I believe Hotcakes pointed out that the damage is actually still the same according to the files or whatever.  I think maybe it was simply that I only hit the guy in the arm, I don't know.  There could be a random element at work with it still, but since then I've had success with the majority of my shots being 1 hit kills.

This is from last patch, but besides a few oddities I'm finding the thing to function essentially the same this patch.

There's a nice quirk of the shotgun flattening bushes right now too =P

In any case, I personally don't like the current assault rifles or even the sks, and fuck if I'm going to use a mosin against semi/fully auto guns in close range (I do like sniping).  I find the shotgun to be very adequate in close range fights against these weapons.

Edited by Bororm

I'm not talking about a nerf, I'm talking about fixing it.  There is nothing about the current shotgun that is functioning as it is supposed to.

You just said that the damage is too high for what it is....lol x3

You just said that the damage is too high for what it is....lol x3

If it shot a spread like it's supposed to, I think the damage would be ok, since if you didn't hit with all pellets it wouldn't be a 1 shot kill.

If it shot a spread like it's supposed to, I think the damage would be ok, since if you didn't hit with all pellets it wouldn't be a 1 shot kill.

Or if they could just fix that Buckshot and re-add the slugs that'd be great. xD

You obviously don't know about the shotguns history on DayZ SA...the thing since before 1 or 2 updates ago couldn't kill a sheet of paper. Now that its fixed I hear it is to op but idk haven't tested it much and its a double barrel usually those things are beast.