Sign in to follow this  
leviski

Make Hunting Harder

Please make hunting a bit harder...

Okay alot harder, If you are tromping through the woods, or even moving at a fast pace those animals should be trucking it away from you.

If you miss, well goodluck hitting that deer running full speed away.

seriously make the animals more alert, more timid, and alot more sneaky.

Deer should move away from the player if they are not stalking through the woods.

• Like 12

If zombies can see you from ridiculous amount of meters away, I'm sure animals could behave the same way.

• Like 6

If zombies can see you from ridiculous amount of meters away, I'm sure animals could behave the same way.

exactly

The animals needs to

the zombies dont. They should have poor eyesight but who cares about the zombies.

I want harder animals.

I do give applauds on making the deer run if you try and hatchet them +1

but the other animals, well still a little easy.

• Like 1

I don't see a reason to make them harder until they become more useful.

• Like 2

I don't see a reason to make them harder until they become more useful.

Making food consumption harder to find should make hunting more enjoyable of a sport for DayZ. Consider it like a mini-game in a way but it's for your own survival and entertainment.

• Like 1

Making food consumption harder to find should make hunting more enjoyable of a sport for DayZ. Consider it like a mini-game in a way but it's for your own survival and entertainment.

and for those nice ass backpacks

• Like 2

The backpacks were a nice addition.  I find myself hunting to make the pack, then the meat being a byproduct that I may as well cook.

If they can add even more use out of animals, like maybe something with the bones/antlers or whatever, or even just trophies to put in your base once that's a thing then I think making hunting harder will be a good idea.

It would be sweet to be able to make some masks/cloaks or something, although maybe that's getting too cavemanish for DayZ's setting.

Wish fishing too, I'd like to see different sizes of fish and types (I'm sure types are coming for certain).  Would be cool to be able to catch really big fish to show off, and also give you more meat.  Again, with barricading/base building I just think it would be pretty awesome to have some trophies and decorative items and hunting/fishing would be a nice place to start.

• Like 1

i think the bow sould be 2 less slots vertically,since it only fits on the mountain and hunting backpack (i know i know "huntingbackpack" but i like to have the crafted backpacks and the bow is too big for them) also

CHICKENS! MORE CHICKENS! there's like 4 CHICKENS in the world and i need my arrows NOW! but srsly the chickens sould  spawn as where the chicken houses that are all over the map i don't want to see chickens be as rare as bunnys or goats.

i think the bow sould be 2 less slots vertically,since it only fits on the mountain and hunting backpack (i know i know "huntingbackpack" but i like to have the crafted backpacks and the bow is too big for them) also

CHICKENS! MORE CHICKENS! there's like 4 CHICKENS in the world and i need my arrows NOW! but srsly the chickens sould  spawn as where the chicken houses that are all over the map i don't want to see chickens be as rare as bunnys or goats.

Yeah the bow doesn't seem very good, the sway on it is really bad and without chickens getting enough arrows to be effective is a bit of a pain.  I haven't found a chicken yet but I was happy to see that at least you seem to get about 20 feathers off a single one.  Either a quiver should be implemented (maybe it could take the vest/chest holster slot?) or arrows should stack higher though.

Wait till the bears come. Those hunting lookouts might be usefull after all

I'm looking forward to bears, I hope they're sorta rare but really brutal.  Bear mask would be so badass too.
True-Grit-Bear-on-a-horse.jpg
Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

+1 and then some.

Animals in DayZ have never been convincing organic entities that feel part of a living world. They are merely slowly moving heinz.they fail on all fronts from animation, AI and 't fit in the meta. So hows it going to get beter?

Animations/AI: Clearly like all ascpects of the game are going to be improved. Time and more time.

Meta/World: Animals are really out of place in DayZ. They just kind of appear and don't feel natural. Deer/pig/goats travel in mobs and herds. It would be nice to have aniamls functioning as their own groups with lookouts and behaviors (fight/flight, older nanny goats/does rounding up kids/yearlings when they sense danger) that are natural.

Hunting pressure (from humans) naturally pushes animals to the fringes/wilds away from towns. Mobs pressed out in remote areas gives a natural incentive to get deep into the bush for meaty rewards. You know something that isn't KOS.

And then trophy collection (jaws, antlers, tusks), rare furs (albino,stripes, spots), if DayZ gets seasons tie it into animal breeding cycle (deer roaring, increased aggression, fish spawn runs). Rare animal hunting would be keep many people entertained.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

...(deer roaring, increased aggression, fish spawn runs)...

This brings up a good point that the animals don't even have sounds currently, do they?  That alone would give a lot more "life" to them imo.

Okay alot harder, If you are tromping through the woods, or even moving at a fast pace those animals should be trucking it away from you.

If you miss, well goodluck hitting that deer running full speed away.

seriously make the animals more alert, more timid, and alot more sneaky.

Deer should move away from the player if they are not stalking through the woods.

They are just place holders at this point.. 

I had a cow run at me today and all I could think of was where was what startled it in the first place?  I wonder the same thing when I see a seal when Scuba Diving.  I'm not, like "oooo a SEAL!!" I'm more like "is what eats those lurking about?"

all you guys wanting less ammo, more zombies and harder hunting the realists out there I can see a point where people just don't play this game anymore once it gets too real. Sometimes going too hardcore simulator can kill a game.

But animals don't behave the same way as zombies. If you want this to be that more realistic when you hunt deer devs need to add wind factor. If the deer is east and you are west and wind blows from west to east then the deer will sense you. 

• Like 1

+1 and then some.

Animals in DayZ have never been convincing organic entities that feel part of a living world. They are merely slowly moving heinz.they fail on all fronts from animation, AI and 't fit in the meta. So hows it going to get beter?

Guys, just be patient, it's coming. They bought a company that is specialized on hunting so they seem to work on it. Has nobody heard of that?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/558751813091266412/

Edited by degude
  • Like 1

I read an interview where the developers said they want to make hunting animals as realistic as possible, but sure this will take time. As i can see, for now you can run towards a deer or wild boar without it run away and this is unrealistic and takes the hunting thrill. For a priority, is making animals more alert to what around them and run away if they sense danger. You could not approach them while you are standing, you have to crouch or creep towards them.

Edited by Stalk85

all you guys wanting less ammo, more zombies and harder hunting the realists out there I can see a point where people just don't play this game anymore once it gets too real. Sometimes going too hardcore simulator can kill a game.

What about not going too hardcore but still making it challenging? Arguments like this are brought to us by people who want everything served at a silver plate and god forbid if you have to actually earn your reward. If you want the game to be easymode you are (hopefully) at the wrong place.

• Like 1

It'll kill it for some, sure and it'll make it more attractive for others. There may be a net loss but I'm more of a quality over quantity guy anyway.

Also, absolutely make it so animals are more alert. Domestic animals should be an exception, we've basically bred them to be stupid and comfortable around people. And yes, more chickens!

Edited by Ebrim

+1 and then some.

Animations/AI: Clearly like all ascpects of the game are going to be improved. Time and more time.

Meta/World: Animals are really out of place in DayZ. They just kind of appear and don't feel natural. Deer/pig/goats travel in mobs and herds. It would be nice to have aniamls functioning as their own groups with lookouts and behaviors (fight/flight, older nanny goats/does rounding up kids/yearlings when they sense danger) that are natural.

Hunting pressure (from humans) naturally pushes animals to the fringes/wilds away from towns. Mobs pressed out in remote areas gives a natural incentive to get deep into the bush for meaty rewards. You know something that isn't KOS.

And then trophy collection (jaws, antlers, tusks), rare furs (albino,stripes, spots), if DayZ gets seasons tie it into animal breeding cycle (deer roaring, increased aggression, fish spawn runs). Rare animal hunting would be keep many people entertained.

Deer don't travel in herds (groups of 3-5 rarely) and they do not roar.

While they do need to add a bonus to hunted food like they had in the mod, it sounds like some need to buy trophy hunter 2014

Edited by hellcane

Deer don't travel in herds (groups of 3-5 rarely) and they do not roar.

Red deer do. And we got red deer - whose mating season (the time males roar) is autumn.

I agree with you guys to a point. I just always think back to how many actual simulators are fun to play? Not really any when you think about it, they all eventually die so I don't think making it too hardcore and taking away from the game aspect is the answer. There has to be some fun to it as well.

Edited by Timewarp

I punched a cow to death when I was a newspawn.

The cow was "running away" at full speed.

+1

Yeah the bow doesn't seem very good, the sway on it is really bad and without chickens getting enough arrows to be effective is a bit of a pain.  I haven't found a chicken yet but I was happy to see that at least you seem to get about 20 feathers off a single one.  Either a quiver should be implemented (maybe it could take the vest/chest holster slot?) or arrows should stack higher though.

I'm looking forward to bears, I hope they're sorta rare but really brutal.  Bear mask would be so badass too.

True-Grit-Bear-on-a-horse.jpg

Bearmasks, you say?

I agree with you guys to a point. I just always think back to how many actual simulators are fun to play? Not really any when you think about it, they all eventually die so I don't think making it too hardcore and taking away from the game aspect is the answer. There has to be some fun to it as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought DayZ was fun because it's hard/hardcore. Also, sims tend to be one-dimentional. You drive a train. You drive a truck. You farm a field. You hunt a deer. What if you could do ALL of that AND have excellent combat AND more?

Edited by Grindstone

You see I dont agree with having everything Easymode

The most fun comes from learning something new, for instance. my custom minecraft modpack has all the complex tech mods, I still to this day (made it a month ago) know how everything fits together in it.

Same goes for dayz, I want things to be intricate and hard so that sharing knowledge and learning is something that the game produces, such as learning to fix someone with a bullet in their leg, that shouldnt be too hard, but knowing what to do should make you do it "better"

Same goes with hunting, just apply real life to it and pouf its fixed, I see deer all the time when I hunt, but I cant shoot half of them because they are doe and I only have a buck tag, so finding deer isnt hard, its just that sprinting through the woods should mean no deer for you.