Sign in to follow this  
d-angelo

Lots of work to be done...

So, I am new to this forum, new to DayZ standalone, but not new to DayZ Mod.

I-ve been playing the mod since it was released and have encountered all kinds of people: looters, cheaters, hackers, killers, liars etc. etc.

I stopped playing the game because my old pc couldn't hande it anymore.

Recently I've gotten a new pc and decided to play the game again.I am a big fan of teh setting, the situation, the chaos and the desperation the game offers, and as the game booted up I got that special feeling.

Just because I have little faith in humanity (especially in DayZ) I've started on servers with very few people, just to catch-up on the controls and actions. After three dayz, I am pretty disappointed... there are still very much wrong with the game.

zombies: Zombies are brutal in this Stand-alone version. I had no trouble out-smarting these goons in DayZ mod, but here... this is insane. I've had zombies following me from town to town... across the forest, over "mountains", into the water. Damn it! I've crossed thte woods, ran zig-zag-like amongst the buildings, closed doors, ran upstairs and hid behind obstacles. Waited some minutes and suddenly see the very same zombie, from across the country, clipping through the door and clubbering me to my death. This has got to stop... kills the fun.

loot:What the hell... where has all the loot gone?! I haven't found a single melee weapon in three dayz of gaming! I am fully aware of the "looting-system" from Dayz mod, and been searching all the right places. Too many times have I died of starvation. Another thing that totally ruin the fun... I never have any luck finding berries either. At this point, I'm pretty pissed off and close to shouting at the screen and calling this game "Crap" and "this sucks!", but I'll hold my tongue...for now..

gamepla/physics : this game seems to be too realistic at times. I used to love the fact that you could break arms and legs and needed to fix this in order to use these limbs again. But there aren't any supplies anywhere!! I fel three feet... THREE FEET and broke both legs IN HOSPITAL!! What the hell?! Where are all the medical suppiess?! I know loot is suppose to be scare, but come on!! Dayz mod was brutal, but this is close to becoming unfun...

Never "save" indoors : Too many times I've saved when in buildings. When I've reloaded the game, my character is stuck inside the foundation of the house. No way to respawn, so in most cases I have to wait for my character to starve to death.

Sorry to bitch and moan; but this game is pretty close to being unplayable... atleast to me. Any other "noobs" (to DayZ standalone) that can "help" me out, or offer their stories?

Edited by d-angelo
  • Like 1

*liars

First, pay attention to the popup that warns that this is an alpha.

Second, they have already said that zombies have issues, mainly that they are not much of a threat once you learn the game. So it will get more challenging instead of easier. You cannot lose them in pine trees anymore, and they are persistant. Deal with the threat(you can punch them to death FYI) instead of running and hiding.

Loot is having issues with the persistant servers, it is an alpha. However even on persistent servers there is a lot to be found. Try to go where nobody else has looted before you.

Zombie attacks break arms and legs as well as damage gear. However broken bones are easy to heal with crafted splints. Also falling 1 foot has the chance to break a leg, just a small chance though.

Saving indoors has a 25-30% chance of glitching you. Known issue with the alpha, look at the bug report forums to familiarize yourself with the common issues.

SA is different than the mod. You need to learn the differences. As far as dealing with the bugs, either realise that this is an alpha and there will be bugs, wipes, and even unplayable times.....or wait a year for beta and release

• Like 1

Yes, this is all true. I am familiar with the DayZ formula.

I guess I needed to vent my anger since I've not gotten a single melee weapon in three f***** days! I've tried to stand my ground and fight with the zombies, but it often leaves me bleeding, broken and half-dead. Add the fact that I have yet to find any usable loot... you can have my copy of "Great Expectations"...

I'll man up and keep at it. I'll check out some more info from this site

How the hell have you not managed to find any loot?
It takes me ~1h to be fully geared by just doing this route Krasnostav -> NE airstrip -> Cernaya Polana -> Turovo prison, and above Turovo lies Novo and below Svet, 2 big citys filled with loot, especially on low pop servers that restart every 1-2 h.
Imo it's to easy to get gear in DayZ, more or less everyone you see runs around with M4's or AKM's.

Edited by Halven

Restart computer and play on non persistence servers.  You literally cannot swing a dead cat without hitting several backpacks, cans of food, ammo sources, and weapons.

How the hell have you not managed to find any loot?

It takes me ~1h to be fully geared by just doing this route Krasnostav -> NE airstrip -> Cernaya Polana -> Turovo prison, and above Turovo lies Novo and below Svet, 2 big citys filled with loot, especially on low pop servers that restart every 1-2 h.

Just being truely unlucky, I guess? One thing I've noticed in the SA-version, is that most buildings now are searchable/being able to enter, but many buildings have nothing.

This is how my "runs" usually happen: Spawn...tear t-shirt into rags. Look around. If urban location, sneak towards buildings and search. if rural, run. After I've searched 4-5 houses, finding nothing, I get impatient and start running around (streets, alleys). When I am done with one town, finding zilch except copies of Great Expectations and other literary works, I run in search of another town. This is where I usually end up running for ever, or encountering a zombie. The zombie "chases" me until it kills me...

It's been awhile since I've played so I have forgotten the layout of the cities. Right now, my character is situated near a city, Olsho, or something. I know Electro and Cherno, so I usually head south, but I've never gotten to either one of 'em. Zombies have amazing eye sight, by the way! In DayZ Mod you could escape them or miss them by crawling or being perfectly still...

Edited by d-angelo

Zombies have amazing eye sight, by the way! In DayZ Mod you could escape them or miss them by crawling or being perfectly still...

Doesn't work in SA like that... Zombies can apparently hear your asshair grow from the other end of town and see you from a mile away squatting in a bush. Crouching/sneaking doesn't help. Also melee is broken since the last two patches. Zombie hitboxes are all over the place but never where they're supposed to be, so pummeling them to death with your fists is - if not entirely impossible - pretty close to being impossible right now.

Edited by James Hawke

Just being truely unlucky, I guess? One thing I've noticed in the SA-version, is that most buildings now are searchable/being able to enter, but many buildings have nothing.

This is how my "runs" usually happen: Spawn...tear t-shirt into rags. Look around. If urban location, sneak towards buildings and search. if rural, run. After I've searched 4-5 houses, finding nothing, I get impatient and start running around (streets, alleys). When I am done with one town, finding zilch except copies of Great Expectations and other literary works, I run in search of another town. This is where I usually end up running for ever, or encountering a zombie. The zombie "chases" me until it kills me...

It's been awhile since I've played so I have forgotten the layout of the cities. Right now, my character is situated near a city, Olsho, or something. I know Electro and Cherno, so I usually head south, but I've never gotten to either one of 'em. Zombies have amazing eye sight, by the way! In DayZ Mod you could escape them or miss them by crawling or being perfectly still...

Write "restart" in your server filter and select a low pop server that restarts every 1-2 hours and you will be geared in no time.

First off, not sure how it's even possible that your not finding melee weapons; it's something beyond luck because I've never had an issue running across *some* kind of melee weapon at least two times an hour, pickaxe's work great, splitting axes, fireaxes, but the general weapons like the machete (cannot recommend using it, use your fists <.<) / shovel / pitchfork ect are fairly common, the only reason I can think your not finding weapons is your on a persistance server which has been devoid of spawns due to issues I'm told (haven't played on one) or your only searching the 'bad' houses, which there are. You'll get the hang of only going into the proper houses in time, the piano, firehouse, police station, barns, tac, hospital, so on .. but the 'more common' small houses are all essentially worthless beyond finding books, food, matches, sometimes sticks or other rare material, ammo, or attachment but that's literally betting against the odds.  

It just seems 'off' your not finding anything at all but again, could be a persistent server or I guess not picking the right buildings - but that's well beyond any sort of bad luck; in three hours even avoiding the major loot areas you should still end up coming across *some* kind of melee weapon if not many- and in all likelyhood, compass, maps (enough to make a full), gun, a number of boxes of different kinds of ammo, food, canteen or bottles, tons of soda - enough to fill a talon backpack, 6slot shirt and pants and have some overflow from what you've left behind. Hell, in an hour and a half I've come across four medpacks that I remember and have something like 6 pristine bandages in my pack and ditched many many more damaged ones.

Setting that aside though, my biggest raised brow is your claims the zombies keep up with you *Forever* - something is going wrong here.

Are you not sprinting? Trying to go uphills (bad idea) 

.. never, not in this last update, not in all updates before it, were zombies unavoidable, just get on a street, and sprint in one direction and don't stop until the zombie is long out of sight and it won't continue pursuit. Never have I had a zombie follow me for more than five minutes and THAT was because I kept stopping/slowing down trying to go up hills (where they will catch up) - you sprint faster with nothing in your hands but even armed with my weapon out I've lost zombies between 30-40 seconds (most common) to a max of really two minutes before the zombie is way off in the distance standing still or wandering off.

.. and lastly, not sure what's getting you stuck in the bottom of them but the only building I know to still do this is the 6+ story city apartment building, and there are two methods out of any 'stuck' situation. One is reporting it and an admin will get you out or at least reset your character, the other is on the forums but for the most part is just spazzing jump, crawl, roll, jump, crouch, weapon out, weapon in, stand, run, dive, stand, weapon out while standing forced run, log out, log in + hold movement key to spaz the character through the building while it's still loading. Just a heads up, but it really shouldn't be something that happens often, haven't seen that bug for at least a month and I only ever save in buildings.

First off, not sure how it's even possible that your not finding melee weapons; it's something beyond luck because I've never had an issue running across *some* kind of melee weapon at least two times an hour, pickaxe's work great, splitting axes, fireaxes, but the general weapons like the machete (cannot recommend using it, use your fists <.<) / shovel / pitchfork ect are fairly common, the only reason I can think your not finding weapons is your on a persistance server which has been devoid of spawns due to issues I'm told (haven't played on one) or your only searching the 'bad' houses, which there are. You'll get the hang of only going into the proper houses in time, the piano, firehouse, police station, barns, tac, hospital, so on .. but the 'more common' small houses are all essentially worthless beyond finding books, food, matches, sometimes sticks or other rare material, ammo, or attachment but that's literally betting against the odds.  

It just seems 'off' your not finding anything at all but again, could be a persistent server or I guess not picking the right buildings - but that's well beyond any sort of bad luck; in three hours even avoiding the major loot areas you should still end up coming across *some* kind of melee weapon if not many- and in all likelyhood, compass, maps (enough to make a full), gun, a number of boxes of different kinds of ammo, food, canteen or bottles, tons of soda - enough to fill a talon backpack, 6slot shirt and pants and have some overflow from what you've left behind. Hell, in an hour and a half I've come across four medpacks that I remember and have something like 6 pristine bandages in my pack and ditched many many more damaged ones.

Setting that aside though, my biggest raised brow is your claims the zombies keep up with you *Forever* - something is going wrong here.

Are you not sprinting? Trying to go uphills (bad idea) 

.. never, not in this last update, not in all updates before it, were zombies unavoidable, just get on a street, and sprint in one direction and don't stop until the zombie is long out of sight and it won't continue pursuit. Never have I had a zombie follow me for more than five minutes and THAT was because I kept stopping/slowing down trying to go up hills (where they will catch up) - you sprint faster with nothing in your hands but even armed with my weapon out I've lost zombies between 30-40 seconds (most common) to a max of really two minutes before the zombie is way off in the distance standing still or wandering off.

.. and lastly, not sure what's getting you stuck in the bottom of them but the only building I know to still do this is the 6+ story city apartment building, and there are two methods out of any 'stuck' situation. One is reporting it and an admin will get you out or at least reset your character, the other is on the forums but for the most part is just spazzing jump, crawl, roll, jump, crouch, weapon out, weapon in, stand, run, dive, stand, weapon out while standing forced run, log out, log in + hold movement key to spaz the character through the building while it's still loading. Just a heads up, but it really shouldn't be something that happens often, haven't seen that bug for at least a month and I only ever save in buildings.

Earlier, I've found nothing! Books, yes, and a couple of gas canisters. That's all I've found. Not even berries or kindling.

Now I have swapped servers to one that is "non persistence", and straight off the bat I found a raincoat, children's backpack, pickaxe, couple of apples and oranges, flashlight for a pistol, machete, screwdriver and so on. Are there still police stations around? I've visited one fire station, but found nothing.. (earlier server).

oh, my friend, I AM sprinting... my ass off. I've run for minutes, looking over my shoulder, making sure the zombie is long gone. I crouched behind some debris to apply some bandages. Just as I was getting up I heard the o' so familiar zombie sound, look around and sure; it's the same god damn zombie. How I know it is the same? It was a military-fatigued clad zombie; the exact same from before. This is uncanny! I tried to outrun zombies before, but I never get far enough away it seems. I run and run and run. The zombie escapes my field of view... I pause for a minute, looking back...what do I see there...long away in the horizon...the same god damn zombie. My major concern for the moment as I just got some loot (read above).

I tried spazzing out. Didn't work, so I left the computer on for a while, came back: dead! Respawn.

@chodeofwar : Well, yes. But if these zombies keep this act up, I'm gonna quit sooner rather than later. I have no problems being in desperate or dire situations as long as they are "fair", but wall-hacking zombies, zombies that follow you for hours and hours, that spawn right in front of you..that's got to stop.

I think that's the op's problem with zombies right now. You can't lose them by zigzagging, running through trees or running a circle around a building like you could in the mod. Just a straight fast run seems to work best now to escape them.

I also agree that if you're finding nothing something's nit right. First, get away from Cherno and Electro. If your just learning still head north east. There are at least 3 new towns there and Novo has no zombies right now at all so for just learning and gearing up to figure out the crafting and weapons systems head that way.

Good luck!

Perhaps you need to find yourself a group to play with; People with experience in the SA.

All good advice, thanks. I'll not be joining any crew just yet... had some bad experiences with "crews" back in DayZ mod.
Speaking of DayZ Mod : are people still playing the mod? It has to be more stable and an overall better experience?

I think I've got a good selection of gear now, and heading towards Electro if I'm not mistaken. What I need now, is a handgun or ranged weapon of sort...just to be sure... I don't really trust the melee weapons a hundren percent just yet. In Electro, I know my bearings; Cherno and Electro were the places I used to hang around in in DayZ Mod. I know they are hotspots for looters, bandits and zombies, but ... I gotta check 'em out. If the maps (DayZ SA map vs DayZ Mod map) remain the same, I am not far from Electro.

How is the pvp in DayZ SA? Still a lot of bandits killing on sight?

Yes still lots of bandits and KOS'ers. And melee weapons are easy to use once you get the hang of it, though can still be sketchy at times. The trick is to aim low and not to use the reticule to aim but follow the animation through to the target. Using ranged weapons on zombies will just ring the dinner bell and attract every zed within a couple kilometers to you. Keep a good supply of bandages on hand. Even the most seasoned vets in this game can get killed by zeds currently.

Oh and I believe the maps differ a bit but Elektro is still where it always was. SA has lots of new towns added up north. I never played the mod, this is just my understanding.

Edited by QUAZIMOFO

www.izurvive.com is a great site i use to keep track of where i am and where i need to go.. not sure if it is alowed to post a website here.. they also have an app that is great for the map.. don't have to alt-tab to check the map.. and you can search for the town name in russianistic type languages....