tpenn

Real Food cycle from Real Daytime Cycle

If we're stuck with a realtime daytime cycle (for now) we should also be running a realtime food cycle, as it is now it's disproportionate.

in-game, we eat something like 6-8 times a day and drink 10-15, when realistically speaking, if we're going to be running at a realtime cycle we'd only ever need to eat maybe once or twice every other day and drink once or twice a day and we'd still be able to manage.

Of the two systems, shortened cycles always makes more sense for a game, and my hunch is that the only reason we don't have this for time is because (for now) it's probably 200% easier just to read the local time off the server instead of having to develop a proportional cycle.

In either case, whether this is a long-term decision (I hope not) or short-term, ca we have the FOOD cycle adjusted appropriately to match whatever the time cycle is?

(on a second point, the food cycle should pause or drastically slow while not logged in, it's unreasonable to expect players to log in on a daily basis just to satiate their character!)

Sorry to say but I disagree, game-play vs realism is the case at hand and at end of the day game-play will win.

To only need to eat twice or three times a day would steal away from us another reason to run around risking our lives every few hours, right now what this mod needs is MORE reasons and incentive to go looting and more things to do, cause otherwise what is there?

I agree, I don't want realtime cycles for anything, but WHILE we do have realtime cycles they should be consistent is what I'm suggesting (since eating/drinking is part of a day cycle then it should match the daytime cycle)

In my experience systems like this come in one of two forms: Obnoxious or Flavour.

Either its annoying or its a "cool little addition" and I've never experienced a middle ground. As it stands right now, its Obnoxious. Even if day/night cycle was halfed it would still be Obnoxious in my eyes.

Well your guy is running around all day. I think the water requirement is probably realistic, especially since a lot of times I have my guy drinking soda. That is not proper hydration lol

As it stands right now' date=' its Obnoxious. Even if day/night cycle was halfed it would still be Obnoxious in my eyes.

[/quote']

I totally disagree. I prefer moving at night and it's also scarier.

I myslef would also like to see a day / night cycle 2 hours of day 2 hours of night for us day workers who only get the chance to play at night lol (its just a Suggestion)

The Day/Night cycle, being real time, will always stay, always. There are no plans to change that.

It would be better if once you start "blinking", visual effects start to happen. For example, maybe if you haven't drank anything for a while, your vision blurs slightly. Perhaps if you haven't eaten, you move slower (not forced to walk, mind you).

Most people live and/or die by the rule of three. 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without heat, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food.

That being said, It's not hard to find water, or food.

As it stands right now' date=' its Obnoxious. Even if day/night cycle was halfed it would still be Obnoxious in my eyes.

[/quote']

I totally disagree. I prefer moving at night and it's also scarier.

It wasn't exactly clear, but I was talking about the Eating/Drinking thing, not the realtime day night cycle. To clarify, what I meant was that even if the current day/night cycle was halfed, I would still find the current amount you have to eat and drink an annoyance.

The realtime day/night cycles are stupid.. Here are some examples why.

Say I work nights IRL, I get some nights off and I want to spend that time playing. I'll be forced to play this game in darkness constantly.

Turn it around, I can only play during the days. Then I won't need flashlights, lightsticks and all that other crap.

If the day/night cycles was 1 or 2 hours you'd be forced to always keep that night gear like flashlights and lightsticks or you'd be screwed. This way everyone would be happy.

Say I work nights IRL' date=' I get some nights off and I want to spend that time playing. I'll be forced to play this game in darkness constantly.

Turn it around, I can only play during the days. Then I won't need flashlights, lightsticks and all that other crap.

If the day/night cycles was 1 or 2 hours you'd be forced to always keep that night gear like flashlights and lightsticks or you'd be screwed. This way everyone would be happy.

[/quote']

+1 THIS

It would be more realistic too. If someone jumps on the server only during the day time they will rarely even bother to carry such items where those of us that primarily play at night have to.

Chasing daylight, like others might suggest, only works when there are plenty of servers in your ping range with open slots, something that is likely to never be very practical and certainly isn't now.

Oh, I agree with tweaking the food/water rate too, especially if you aren't even on the server.

Say I work nights IRL' date=' I get some nights off and I want to spend that time playing. I'll be forced to play this game in darkness constantly.

[/quote']

Well that is no reason to change it. We all have obstacles on our ways with playing this mod but to say that this real time cycle is bad is very wrong.

It gives the perfect touch to the gameplay and the feel itself.

And if its so troublesome, then go play on different servers. If you normally play on US go to an EU server or other way around.

And if its so troublesome' date=' then go play on different servers. If you normally play on US go to an EU server or other way around.

[/quote']

Yeah, more lag is exactly what the servers need...

I am not a huge fan of the real time cycle yet the nutty professor style binge eating stays in.

I saw the last thread discussing the real time cycle get closed because they just do not want it discussed. To them it is a huge part of the game play. Others have stated that the lag put on the server by the sun rising/setting is too much for it to handle but then how would it ever occur at all?

What about cutting it in half? 2 days per every real day? 6 hours light/6 hours dark.

I personally would love to see much shorter like 3on/3off but that is just me.

Well that is no reason to change it. We all have obstacles on our ways with playing this mod but to say that this real time cycle is bad is very wrong.

And if its so troublesome' date=' then go play on different servers. If you normally play on US go to an EU server or other way around.

[/quote']

Yes it is cool to play this game when it's dark outside IRL and dark in the game aswell.

But seriously, think about ALL the players and what everyone wants not just yourself.

[/quote']

Yes it is cool to play this game when it's dark outside IRL and dark in the game aswell.

But seriously, think about ALL the players and what everyone wants not just yourself.

just wanted to get the feel of it being day and nite without switchin servers

I unfortunately can only play at night, and even when I am free for a few hours during the day it turns into a waiting game for someone to drop from a local server. /end rant

In tune to this topic, a 2/1 ratio of hours would be nice, but the realism for us East coasters in North America is neat.

Okay science time, explaining things that people already know.

Also, I understand the eating and drinking thing perfectly. The amount of sneaking and running you do with your character would amount to many calories being burnt. I think a typical can of beans has from 300 - 450 calories, which is mostly carbohydrates composed of a lot of fiber and sugars (assuming they are the yummy kind). You burn through the sugar quickly when performing physical activities. Fiber, well we all know what that is good for. haha (could be wrong on the sugar thing...)

Now for water. I personally drink over 6 liters a day, and that's just because I'm genuinely thirsty. When I am working physically hard it goes to 10 or 12. (Keep in mind this is just from my experience)

/end science rant

In closing, night time is when this game shines, but I do miss the sun shine...

[/quote']

Well that is what I meant with my post, shouldv written it out. My bad.

I don't think the night/day cycles should be changed. Yes its unfortunate some people cant play during the day. Maybe having servers dedicated to certain GMT, despite location would be the fix. Of course people would almost always just switch to whatever server is daytime, and one of the reasons why I would personally be against such a "fix." Changing the speed of day to 2 hours would be retarded, that causes so much lag it would be unplayable at any time of the day. I love that the time is synched to where the server is, and it would be awesome if the date and moon phase could be as well (if it isnt already).

On topic: In regards to the food cycle, I think the water is good as it is, its not over done, and its not difficult to get around with 2-3 canteens, and supplement with sodas you come across in towns. I think that side of the food cycle is done well. The actual food though, is a little overboard. I don't want a realistic food cycle, because that would make it almost an afterthought, and little more than an annoyance to deal with once a day. However as it is, i spend quite a bit of time hunting animals to be able to provide my group and I with enough food to keep us going. I can understand that in a post apocalyptic scenario such as this, finding food would be very very important, and keeping a large group fed would be somewhat difficult. I think as it is now, its a good representation of that. Still I would like to see food stretch just slightly farther than it does now, so that its not a constant problem, but not so far that it becomes an afterthought all together.

The reason for its current implementation is three fold:

1. Engine Time is the server's frame of reference.

the server needs a frame of reference by which it can measure its activities and when to do things. It uses time for this purpose because it is cheap (CPU cycles wise) and engine supported (always better than scripted).

To speed this up, would require divorcing the engine from its own time cycle, and applying another layer. That layer means an additional code spawn, VERY dangerous on the server which is already running close to its limits.

2. Speeding up the time is bad code

To speed up time, you need to "skipTime". This command has many effects, beyond simply changing the time. Simulation time is extremely important for, say, the chemlights which last 1 hour of game time. If you skip the game time, the chemlights will have to be altered. All weapons depend on the time, it is a critical component.

The skipTime command was not intended to be used rapidly during quick succession. It was intended to be used once or twice to change the world to a new situation. I believe it causes a calculation on all units that affects their "knows about" in relation to targets, so you are forcing the client/server to perform alot of shit each time you invoke it.

3. Time is relative to the observer (to performance)

Not really a reference to relativity. What i means is that time is not constantly sync'd, and game time runs at a separate rate depending on the FPS of what it is running on. When the server drops below 15 FPS time begins to slow down. This doesn't matter too much in our current configuration, because time gets sync'd whenever someone joins so the progression doesn't effect things.

But if you introduce time skipping you will end up with the weirdness other mission designers have.

The reason this has been successful is because I am ruthless with features. If they don't support the overall system, and can't be optimized -they are not included. Any systems I write that cannot be optimized are removed.

A successful mod/game, imho, is far more about what you don't put in, than what you do.

Hope that gives some background.

I actually like the really long night/day cycle, what I don't like about it is I'm pretty much stuck choosing play at night or play on a server 1/4+ of the world away.

Is it possible to have a server running on a time offset? like say 12 hours off of what the servers real time is?

About the food cycle: Food is so easy to come by, eating this much is pretty much no extra work. The only time I really find myself searching for food is blood reasons.

I actually like the really long night/day cycle' date=' what I don't like about it is I'm pretty much stuck choosing play at night or play on a server 1/4+ of the world away.

Is it possible to have a server running on a time offset? like say 12 hours off of what the servers real time is?

[/quote']

Wouldn't that just need the server's clock adjusted since (if I understood correctly) the time for the game is referenced by the server's clock?

The reason for its current implementation is three fold:

it did sound like a code-expensive feature and I mentioned in OP that's probably why it isn't implemented' date=' but how about a simple time *offset*, so instead of scaling, the reference time is just offset by a fixed amount, allowing day/night cyces in-game to more closely follow the work/play cycles of most players.

But... the thread did get a little off-focus, the suggestion in OP was:

Can we scale the food cycle to match the time cycle?

I'd love both cycles scaled, *but* if it's not yet possible or too difficult, I think it becomes easier to accept a realtime day/night cycle if time-dependent activities like eating and drinking also were scaled appropriately. As someone put it, with full-length days the rate at which we are consuming food and water is "Nutty Professor style eating"!