Sign in to follow this  
doctajones

Uses for Duct Tape

Duct Tape, or tape in general, is a very useful product in life.  Unfortunately, it is useless in DayZ.  Here is a list of potential uses that I think should be added.  To govern these uses, Duct Tape would need a percentage based usage, like that found in bandages, food, etc.

Tape Notes to Walls/Doors

I saw a suggestion that written notes needed a graphic, like scribbles, to make them more apparent to passersby that somebody had written something.  This prompted me to think, what if we could tape notes to flat vertical surfaces?  Not only would it be readily apparent that somebody wrote something, but you could warn people of trapped zombies in a room, a stash of food, or even the classic "Keep Out!"

Tape for Labeling

If you have several protector cases or several ammo boxes, you could tape a simple label, visible form the outside, to your container for ease of discernment.  I suppose this could also be used for water bottles/canteens too, once purification is needed.  We could either write on the tape directly, or tape a piece of paper to said container.  A character limit may be needed, or perhaps just scale the text down to accommodate length.  

Tape Magazines Together

The first time I saw the 60 round STANAG magazine, I thought it was just a user craft of two 30 rounds taped together.  I think we SHOULD be able to tape magazines together for ease of access.  You wouldn't have 60 continuous rounds, but rather a quicker reload, perhaps using the R key.

Tape Players Mouth to Mute

For the ultimate torture session, tape over the mouth of that noisy bastard to mute them while doing whatever dastardly things wish... Besides forcefeeding, I suppose, which would require removal of the tape.

Tape Flashlights, Knives, etc to Weapons

By taping a flashlight or knife (as a bayonet) to a weapon, you could save some inventory space at the cost of accuracy, due to weapon instability.  These crude attachments should also "wear out" after some time and fall off, either dictated by use or just time itself.

Tape Cooking Pot & Lid for Makeshift Container

This would make a limited use container.  Place the cooking pot on the ground, fill it with items, and tape the lid to the pot to close it.  The caveat is, whenever you want to use something from the pot, the tape is removed.  If you keep the pot in your bag, the items become "loose," and either fill up your bag accordingly or simply fall out to the ground.

That's all I got for now, if you have any additional suggestions let us hear it!

Edited by doctajones
  • Like 7

OP, I'm with you. Devs! How can you even think to add duct tape to the game if it cannot be used for anything? Really, I'd have just kept it out of the loot table until I could make it do at least one thing. How do we have sewing kits that can repair clothing, and yet duct tape can't perform a similar function on other items? Seems kinda basic.

How about combining it with other items to make an enhanced weapon, ala The Last Of Us?

Say, you could pick up a big stick or something. Duct tape a few nails to it, bang. Makeshift pain train.

More uses for duct tape I can think of:

Improvised bag:  Duct tape + any shirt, or burlap sack, etc. 

Camouflage:  Duct tape + grass + apply to anything.

Improvised add-on armor:  Duct tape + hard yet light material (like aluminum, wood, or plastic.)  + apply to clothing. 

Improvised shield:  Duct tape + larger piece of hard yet light material. 

Clothing reinforcement:  Duct tape applied to clothing to make them more resistant to tearing. 

duct tape vest:  Using the same principles in making a duct tape wallet, making larger containers on a vest harness. 

Duct tape ergonomic grip:  Apply duct tape to improvised melee weapon without a grip over the shaft like a shovel, or to an axe.  Would make it more comfortable to hold, and improve the grip, thus the edge alignment, thus the damage dealt.

Duct tape torch:  Take kindling, sticks, and duct tape it together, add petrolium jelly or pine sap and voila you have a torch you can light. 

Duct tape boat.  PVC pipe / aluminum pipe + a lot of duct tape.  It's a thing.

duct+tape+boat.png

• Like 1

I like the improvised carrying device, I'm all for that kind of stuff! I'm no big bandit so most of the other stuff is irrelevant to me, but still, good suggestions. I don't give beans, but perks for you!

I really like the idea of some of these craftables,

more items like these need to be added to give people a distinct choice between civilian and military gear.

an idea i have (don't know if its been suggested before!) is using a water bottle in conjunction with duct tape and a weapon such as the CR 527 to create a low tier/low quality silencer to be used from anything from hunting to banditry.

below is a mock up of how it would look.

wRZNcSc.jpg

it would probably make sense for it to be used on lower caliber weapons such as the sporter.

Edited by Corn

Duct Tape, or tape in general, is a very useful product in life.  Unfortunately, it is useless in DayZ.  Here is a list of potential uses that I think should be added.  To govern these uses, Duct Tape would need a percentage based usage, like that found in bandages, food, etc.

Tape Notes to Walls/Doors

I saw a suggestion that written notes needed a graphic, like scribbles, to make them more apparent to passersby that somebody had written something.  This prompted me to think, what if we could tape notes to flat vertical surfaces?  Not only would it be readily apparent that somebody wrote something, but you could warn people of trapped zombies in a room, a stash of food, or even the classic "Keep Out!"

Tape for Labeling

If you have several protector cases or several ammo boxes, you could tape a simple label, visible form the outside, to your container for ease of discernment.  I suppose this could also be used for water bottles/canteens too, once purification is needed.  We could either write on the tape directly, or tape a piece of paper to said container.  A character limit may be needed, or perhaps just scale the text down to accommodate length.  

Tape Magazines Together

The first time I saw the 60 round STANAG magazine, I thought it was just a user craft of two 30 rounds taped together.  I think we SHOULD be able to tape magazines together for ease of access.  You wouldn't have 60 continuous rounds, but rather a quicker reload, perhaps using the R key.

Tape Players Mouth to Mute

For the ultimate torture session, tape over the mouth of that noisy bastard to mute them while doing whatever dastardly things wish... Besides forcefeeding, I suppose, which would require removal of the tape.

Tape Flashlights, Knives, etc to Weapons

By taping a flashlight or knife (as a bayonet) to a weapon, you could save some inventory space at the cost of accuracy, due to weapon instability.  These crude attachments should also "wear out" after some time and fall off, either dictated by use or just time itself.

Tape Cooking Pot & Lid for Makeshift Container

This would make a limited use container.  Place the cooking pot on the ground, fill it with items, and tape the lid to the pot to close it.  The caveat is, whenever you want to use something from the pot, the tape is removed.  If you keep the pot in your bag, the items become "loose," and either fill up your bag accordingly or simply fall out to the ground.

That's all I got for now, if you have any additional suggestions let us hear it!

The Handy Man's Secret Weapon for sure.  Should ought to be able to fix/repair rucksacks/rain jackets/boots with it too.

And, of course all these that follow; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnC9Jmo_6o

I like the idea of tape being used to fix backpacks,gorka suits,rain jackets and other articles where the sewing kit is unsuitable.

I'm not sure about clothing, but I do like the idea of fixing up backpacks. I think it should only improve condition up to Damaged though, much like sharpening blades with a stone.

an idea i have (don't know if its been suggested before!) is using a water bottle in conjunction with duct tape and a weapon such as the CR 527 to create a low tier/low quality silencer to be used from anything from hunting to banditry.

below is a mock up of how it would look.

wRZNcSc.jpg

it would probably make sense for it to be used on lower caliber weapons such as the sporter.

I'm not very experienced in firearms, let alone improvised attachments, but if that is something feasible in actuality, I'm all for it.  

I think if you could take tips from anyone on duct tape it'd be this guy.

Yeah, i would realy like to fix that Raincoat. Im soaked to the bones.

When i can use the roll of duct tape i carry around for days, i would be dancing in the rain and praise the developers.

From the entry post i like the armor the most but i would use the tons of books and duct tape them aound my body.

I also vote for the boot, just yesterday i was wandering aside the lake next to the eastern airfield and thought to my self that i would like to set the touble of the world beside and just set on a boot and get some rest. The duct tape version would have the huge advandtage that you could carry it in a backpack. Yeah, the more i think about it the more i want it.

A short recipy ( you are welcome to add & suggest)

5* duckt tape

2-4* raincoate

3* woodenstick

1* rope

with that your carakter does a 2 hour work animation and nothing is in the way of you and your evening fun.

To help that it would also be great to tape things on to our backpack.

Soo Developers: get to work. i would like to see this enter testing in the next round. And yes i would go to experimatel and drown as often as necesary.

Thanks again and good work.