Sign in to follow this  
PastorPounder

Persistence?

Soooo I guess I don't understand the meaning of persistent loot/containers? My understanding was that any loot could be placed on the ground and would remain there for a certain "lifetime", this varying on what the item is. This includes staying "persistent" through server restarts.

- To test this I decided to find a good area I was going to try and start setting up camp. I placed a camp fire down and a random pistol I had been carrying. I then ran off to continue my looting and find some of the new survival items they added (I cant find a blade for the life of me to cut up my burlap sack >:l). I returned about 45 minutes later. The fire was still there. I then signed out here and was gone for about an hour. I returned to see the server was empty and was in the middle of resetting. It took a LONG time for the thing to reset to let me in, which I thought maybe was due to it having to populate the map with persistent items.. Well.. no.. I finally got back in to see my campfire gone and the pistol I placed gone.

Do I have the correct understanding of how its suppose to work or is there a bug they announced that I am missing?

Thanks,

Steve

Good question. Didn't realize this was an option. So I'm assuming no and that was my issue?

• Like 1

Persistent servers do work, but they tend to crash and never come up again. 

• Like 1

Persistent servers do work, but they tend to crash and never come up again.

Then the items are not persistent.

I dont get the point of experimental.

Then the items are not persistent.

I dont get the point of experimental.

You sure are pulling that card all over the forums today, taking up a new hobby? You appear to be confusing experimental with some kind of alpha test and the stable branch as some kind of finished product. Experimental is the place where radical changes happen regularly and the team can test major changes in a public gameplay setting. This doesn't mean its going to be bug free and polished to perfection when it hits stable branch, its still a testing branch after all. You click "I Agree" to that every single time you launch the game. Don't like it? Wait until the game comes out.

Back on topic:

On a persistent server (in the name it will have "Persistence: ON" and a name like "DayZ NY 2-16" to indicate it is an official server with persistence) my friends and I had looted a military base, dropping various items we didn't require or swapped out. Later that day, after a fair period of gameplay and a few restarts, we had returned to the base and found a few of the items still there. Whether or not the items that were missing were looted by other players or degraded in some fashion is unclear. However it does appear to work on these servers in some capacity.

Persistence is undergoing stress tests, on both stable and experimental. The reason persistence is limited to official servers is because they are expecting bad things to happen when the multitudes of public players try and save their stashes of precious loot. That is a lot of data to keep track of, and a lot of stress on servers.

Persistent storage across all stable branch servers (including rented servers from GSPs) is targeted for version 0.49 at the end of August. The reasoning behind this tiered deployment of storage is as follows:

• Persistent storage is user data. This is valuable, and we need to treat lightly when dealing with so many users data.
  • Increasing persistent storage server numbers by pushing this to only official hosted servers allows us to stress the system even more so than on experimental branch
  • This ensures that communities focused around rented servers (clans, fansites, etc) do not risk losing their stored items during this stress test
  • This also allows game server providers to deploy, and test their methods of protecting, and backing up persistent storage for each server in the event of server failure

I haven't had a chance to test item persistence across multiple days yet.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 4

Gotcha, well I hopped on a persistant server.. Somethings off? The loot respawns/tables seem to be broken. Literally nothing. anywhere. At first I dismissed it as someone already came through.. I moved on and got to another town, literally nothing. In any of the houses.. even the closed ones.. No trash that people usually ignore.. nothing :/ So I guess ill head back to some other servers I play and just horde my loot on my person for the time being xD

I finally get a day off tomorrow and am anxious to try out this persistence thing.

Ideally I'd like to keep a tent/gear/bag near the east coast so when I die I can at least have some decent gear off the get go. Problem is that each time you die you're gonna have to travel all the way to balota to get gear and haul it all back. I feel I can carry everything I need on me at the moment, plus without having a 'home' i can travel more freely and not be tied down to one area. I can see it working well if you have a group of friends and tents spread throughout the map so you can share. Hell you could even set up shops /trading posts / communities... endless possibilites.

Another thing that might be an issue is people tenting up in forests. We don't know what the future update will hold, and its quite possible your tent just happens to be dead center of a new city in 0.49. Say goodbye to all your gear.

hm i was on a official dayz dev supported server ( "DayZ UK x-xx .... " ) yesterday. I build a backpack from a burlap sack an a rope , layed it under a tree pretty far away from all the hotspots, stored a can some ammo and a rag in it and came back today. Backpack was gone! Maybe this kind of bagback is not a container/storage or somebody really found it what i cannot imagine ( the server was not even high populated ). Do you guys think the server crashed over night ? and what if ? does this mean the server resetts everything even persistance ? Or does the persistance even work properly ?

[edit]: or maybe even the tree-location was not good. and the tree "eats" the bagback. maybe i should check if its working on a road.

Edited by Ozar
  • Like 1

It is kinda iffy in general. There's no known details about the persistence, what degrades how, etc. So we have to figure it out ourself. Also, the general performance of the persistence enabled servers is VERY poor, major desync issues. Maybe that has something to do with it, as well.

Unfortunately my guy I have been playing so much on lately and is pretty well geared to how I want him is on a privately hosted server.. whatever they call those? So when it comes time for that server to enable persistence and I can finally settle down, hopefully there is no char reset that ensues.

Okey, i did a second try today.

I placed a selfcrafted small bagback ( rope and sack ) not under a tree this time but pretty well hidden in high grass, i mean this bagback is small and green so should be hard to find anyway. I placed in it a closed can of peaches and a open one. a fresh peace of meat and a cooked one some amo and bandages. after almost 3,5 hours i looked and it was still there and nothing changed. i will report back if something happens. i will check back at 21-22 o'clock.

Okey, i did a second try today.

I placed a selfcrafted small bagback ( rope and sack ) not under a tree this time but pretty well hidden in high grass, i mean this bagback is small and green so should be hard to find anyway. I placed in it a closed can of peaches and a open one. a fresh peace of meat and a cooked one some amo and bandages. after almost 3,5 hours i looked and it was still there and nothing changed. i will report back if something happens. i will check back at 21-22 o'clock.

Yes, please let me know! I think I just found a server Im going to setup in

Okey here my Results:

I barely made it back to my hiding spot. The Fireplace i dropped near was gone. The logs and stone next to it on the ground was gone too.

The Backbag was still there even with all the stuff in it. It worked man. i am very satisfyed with that.

The stuff in the bag was still in same condition, i dont know if it takes more time that it may go in bad coditions. But thats good news anyways.

Afterall i can confirm that the persistance work.

You gone far surviver but now its time to settle down and work for a better life.

Have Fun !!!

[edit]: some bug i noticed: when you step onto your bag on the ground and open your inventory, the bag on the ground will appear as empty. But after i have put another item in that bag (on the ground) all the other items appeared. so dont get chocked like i did.

Just my first row of the slots where invisible and i was thinking that a other guys found it and was still near to that spot. i freaked out and searched bushes for ten minutes until i put some other stuff in the bag and the rest appeared. little laugh about myself at that point.

Edited by Ozar
  • Like 2

Good to hear, I was able to confirm this for myself as well. I found a cozy spot I was wanting to setup at and placed a fire down. Set a leather bag and my AKM under a tree and headed out for looting. I was hoping to return and get some things situated but a server reset came. It took the server FOREVER to finally reset and let me back in. But to my delight, when I returned, my gear was all there! WHOOOOOOO!!

• Like 1

i have a question about this. was the AKM in the bag ? or just on the ground ?

i have a question about this. was the AKM in the bag ? or just on the ground ?

No sir, it was on the ground, along with my fireplace kit. Let me remind you though, mine was alone there for 20 minutes.. Your tests were spanning hours at a time. I think im wrapping it up for a while. I will check later tonight and see what the results are and let you know. Btw I can confirm your backpack bug, whole thing was empty. And the AKM had no attachments, the model on the ground even showed nothing on it! I just cycled mine (put it on, took it off) and everything returned to how its suppose to be.

• Like 1

Good thing I picked up my AKM before logging. I came back and found my axe I had left out and the fireplace kit to be gone. Everything inside the bag was still ok though. So the life time I would say AT MOST is 2 hours maybe? Seems pretty short..

I did some testing. Everything was dropped separately and yes it was server with persistence enabled.

Some of the items that disappeared during restart:

Kevlar helmet.

Uk assault vest.

Camo pants and jacket. (can't remember which)

Food and drinks.

All ammo that was not in magazines. (from 5,56 nato to pretty much every pistol ammo)

All medical items except the medic bag.

Izh shotgun

Items that did survive restart:

1911 pistol

All magazines and ammo inside them. (AKM,STANAG,CMAG,P38...)

Medic bag

canteens (?)

It's unlikely that someone found them as it was in forest up north at low populated server and night at the time.

Edited by K120
  • Like 1

Me and some friends had 4 tents put down with a lot of stuff inside and some stuff on the ground. The stuff on the ground was a backpack, sks, mosin and fireplace. Nothing got deleted after server restart except for the fireplace.

The only problem we encountered was that sometimes some/all stuff inside the tent/backpack was not visible but clearly still there since we could not pack up the tent or put stuff inside. So we decided to keep one slot open at all times so we could just drag someting onto the tent to put it in and viola all the stuff appeared. (same thing goes for containers backpacks inside the tents)

We lost all of it tho because the server admin decided to turn off persistence when he restarted the server. Then restart the server again with persistance on.

So bassicly u wont loose anything. Aslong as the server admin doesnt turn persistence off.

• Like 1