martijnk

Zombies are just annoying

So yeah these zombies are just annoying. I mean I really don't want to refer to left 4 dead but it's fun to kill zombies there, with Day Z you rather avoid them and not kill them. I mean they run at you at like 1000 mph leaving you no time at all for a clear shot, and even if you shoot them there's like 10-20 more coming. Kill them and you'll get anorher 50 until you're out of ammo and if you do have the ammo they just respawn in front of you and keep coming at you.

I've been giving Zombies a headshot but yet they still run for 4-5 meters to you and then fall down in front of you, you're never sure if you hit them or not so you're just wasting ammo on a zombie that's probably already dead.

I mean I know this game should be realistic but it should be fun to kill zombies as well, that's why we play this right? But right now zombies are no fun at all, in fact the game would be much better without them at this point.

I know this is Alpha so I can't complain too much, but come on these zombies are just bullshit right now. I think that with a few adjustments things would be way better.

DayZ is not meant to be fun. Rocket has stated this is basically the "anti-game". If you want a purely fun game, DayZ is not for you.

I mean I know this game should be realistic but it should be fun to kill zombies as well' date=' that's why we play this right? But right now zombies are no fun at all, in fact the game would be much better without them at this point.

[/quote']

Um... no, actually. If I want to have fun shooting zombies I'll load-up Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, or Dead Island. This game is about salvaging to survive in a realistic environment. Zombies are supposed to be an obstacle, something that you have to sit and wait for to wander away from a building you intend to loot. If killing zombies was ever fun or "worth it", then people just jet from city to city going rambo on every zed they see.

Zombies are supposed to be a threat or hindrance, if they weren't it would make everything easy, and the only challenge would be...well none

I recall a post a while back, where the general statement was:

"So you're saying the thing that caused the end of the world is actually a threat? Fuck me that's a new one."

I would quote it but I can't find it :(

I found this cool mod for Day Z that doesn't have a single zombie. I think it's called ArmAII.

LOL

But... It seems to me that some of the behaviours complained about by the OP are not intended, and are just the result of unpolished code. I haven't seen rocket discuss his ideal version of zombies.

It's possible to have zombies that are threatening and still die immediately from headshots. It's possible to have zombies not respawn around you (breaking immersion) no matter how many you kill, and still be threatening.

I say fix their movement, fix their respawning, and then make them even harder by making more of them and allowing them to overpower you.

The game was not designed to go around trying to kill all zombies. I mean, think about this realistically, if you were in a town surrounded by brain seeking psychopaths, would you WANT to try to take them all on?!

The game was not designed to go around trying to kill all zombies. I mean' date=' think about this realistically, if you were in a town surrounded by brain seeking psychopaths, would you WANT to try to take them all on?!

[/quote']

That's exactly why it should be more rewarding when you actually succeed. When you manage to kill every zombie in town, you shouldn't then be confronted with a new batch that spawn in.

Playing a simulation realistically only works when that simulation is realistic. Respawning zombies are not realistic. There is a way to create the illusion of realism, and that is to not have these zombies respawn in a town while you are in it.

If this becomes too easy, rebalance by providing less ammunition and spawning more zombies in the first place.

They spawn back in, because they aren't meant to be wiped out! So the game code panics, and adds more zombies because it needs to fill the gaps. If you only shoot when you have to (which is what you would do in real life) you wont have a spawning problem.

Day Z =/= Left 4 Dead 25.

So, you want to encourage people to not just run and gun by having zombies respawn? I respect that. I think however that we can both be accommodated. Have zombies be plentiful, and ammo sparse, so for most of the time players are motivated not to run and gun by their own sense of self-preservation. In order for a player to be able to run and gun, they need a shit ton of ammo, which they'd have to work hard to get. If I had a group of players, and a large amount of excess ammo, I might have good reasons to empty a locale of zombies, realistically speaking.

Both methods of play are thus rewarded in their particular circumstances.

They just need to fix the bugs that the Zeds are just infested with.

A challenge is great, but making it unfair by Zeds hitting you through walls or clipping through the ground with just their head sticking out is just plain silly. Also, starting out with no morphine and having a super high leg break chance is just plain bad gameplay mechanics.

So yeah these zombies are just annoying. ----

Are you serial? This game is trying to be realistic survival game. Not fun "kill the zombies as many as you can"..

Go back to your Left for dead and shame on you :P

DayZ is not meant to be fun. Rocket has stated this is basically the "anti-game". If you want a purely fun game' date=' DayZ is not for you.

[/quote']

1. All games are meant to be fun if they wern't they wouldn't be games. Fun for you and the original poster are obviously different. Dark Souls for example, is fun for many, for others it is a tedious waste of time. I think this game is similarly subjective.

2. Many of the posters points were valid. Stop being a troll and comenting like your the developer, your not. If you don't have anything constructive to add saying the equivalent of "if you don't like it then leave" is neither intelligent nor necessary.Childish behavior on forums is bannable just so you know.

3. This game is highly flawed because it is in alpha and the developer has said as much he already stated in an interview about the run pathing of the zombies and that he wanted to change it....how that will turn out.... who knows... alot has to do with community feedback after this next patch .2 comes out, it's still unclear if he will add anyithing more in before it launches if it goes up this Saturday at all....If I were the original poster I wouldn't worry too much go watch his interview with PC gamer and the playthrough he did with totalhalibut they give you an idea of where he wants the game to head in the future and yes he knows alot is broken and not fun and he intends to fix so don't worry about it and don't sweat the trolls soon enough we will get admins to ban them back to the wow forums where they belong.

DayZ is not meant to be fun. Rocket has stated this is basically the "anti-game". If you want a purely fun game' date=' DayZ is not for you.

[/quote']

1. All games are meant to be fun if they wern't they wouldn't be games. Fun for you and the original poster are obviously different. Dark Souls for example, is fun for many, for others it is a tedious waste of time. I think this game is similarly subjective.

Fun for me is the same as fun for countless of other players who like the game. If you don't find this game fun, don't try and change it from what it is for us to something like L4D.

2. Many of the posters points were valid. Stop being a troll and comenting like your the developer' date=' your not. If you don't have anything constructive to add saying the equivalent of "if you don't like it then leave" is neither intelligent nor necessary.Childish behavior on forums is bannable just so you know.[/quote']

Report me for any of my posts you think are trolling or childish, seriously. I find it hilarious that you pick my post out of all the "Don't like it? Leave" posts, because I've shut you down before. Stop being so butthurt.

Also, points being valid doesn't change the fact that his idea is ridiculous.

3. This game is highly flawed because it is in alpha and the developer has said as much he already stated in an interview about the run pathing of the zombies and that he wanted to change it....how that will turn out.... who knows... alot has to do with community feedback after this next patch .2 comes out' date=' it's still unclear if he will add anyithing more in before it launches if it goes up this Saturday at all....If I were the original poster I wouldn't worry too much go watch his interview with PC gamer and the playthrough he did with totalhalibut they give you an idea of where he wants the game to head in the future and yes he knows alot is broken and not fun and he intends to fix so don't worry about it and don't sweat the trolls soon enough we will get admins to ban them back to the wow forums where they belong.

[/quote']

I don't even play WoW, so I don't know how you jumped to that conclusion. However, judging by how your sentence doesn't have the faintest resemblance of a proper structure and thus seems like rambling, I can take a guess. I know it's alpha. I've commented on that many times. Yet I've also watched and read all the information that Rocket has put forth, and nowhere has he stated that he wants zombies to be as easy as the OP has gone on about.

No, the idea that zombies are too strong and are "bullshit".

They have their issues, which will be fixed, but he complains about things such as the speed and strength of the zombies, because they're hard for him, which is the whole damn point in an 'anti-game'.

The infected might be strong, but they have bad vision. You can basically sneak trough them when crawling. I looted Stary Sobor's supermarket and a Heli crash site without having to open fire.

The way I interpreted it, he was complaining about the bugs - it's not their speed that makes them hard to hit. They way they move, hitting them is more about luck than skill, until they stop to attack.

There are many ways to make zombies threatening, and maintain the anti-game, without having that sort of movement, or having them frequently break your legs. I'm for the following changes, which would make zombies harder overall:

-Give zombies variable speed. You don't know how fast they'll move until you've aggroed them.

-Fix zombie movement so it's not twitchy.

-Makes zombies able to grab the player, immobilising them. Depending on their available stamina, the player might break free, knock over the zombie, or kill it. The player's stamina, and perhaps some quick button presses, compete against the number of overpowering zombies.

-Increase the hearing range of zombies for things like gunshots, but introduce a random element.

-Make zombies much more numerous.

-Make zombies social - zombies will follow other investigating zombies that they see.

-Make zombies unable to climb ladders

-Make ammo more sparse

So yeah these zombies are just annoying. I mean I really don't want to refer to left 4 dead but it's fun to kill zombies there' date=' with Day Z you rather avoid them and not kill them. I mean they run at you at like 1000 mph leaving you no time at all for a clear shot, and even if you shoot them there's like 10-20 more coming. Kill them and you'll get anorher 50 until you're out of ammo and if you do have the ammo they just respawn in front of you and keep coming at you.

[/quote']

You know what i'm reading? "Mooooommmyyy! The big bad zombie doesnt want to play fair!Make him stop! Make him do what i want so i'm not scared of them" Seriously, man the fuck up.

Oh? You think a few adjustments would clear up the bugs? Really? oh god! I better call Rocket, i think he was just sitting on his ass watching the simpsons, waiting for shit to fix itself like you. I'm sure he has NO idea just a few adjustments could clear the game right up. My god, we are all so lucky you found your way to this forum to enlighten us.

Jackass.

Z

Oh and btw, i dont have your zombie problems (exept for they keep walking a little when shot), so you must be doing shit wrong.

First of all, that zombies even exists isnt realistic so fuck the realisictic part, its still a game. And u cant avoid the zombies forever, (manage) shooting one (manage to find a weapon!) just makes 4 or 5 to run after u, then u have to run because u cant shoot the rest of them because they run they same pattern as a fly. u can still have the same zombie surviving simulation feeling if the dev. fixes a couple of things. i like his idea and i think he should only fix the bad things, not change the "rules"

First of all' date=' that zombies even exists isnt realistic so fuck the realisictic part, its still a game. And u cant avoid the zombies forever, (manage) shooting one (manage to find a weapon!) just makes 4 or 5 to run after u, then u have to run because u cant shoot the rest of them because they run they same pattern as a fly. u can still have the same zombie surviving simulation feeling if the dev. fixes a couple of things. i like his idea and i think he should only fix the bad things, not change the "rules"

[/quote']

yeeeaa sounds like you doing the same shit as wrong as the first guy