Sign in to follow this  
chudeadmang

How to develop trust?

Never wear a ghillie suit if you're trying to be social. The ghillie suit is like a big shoot me sign because it announces you probably have a lot of loot and possibly rare loot. Realistically you're not going to be stealthy after teaming up with random people anyway.

Blood transfusions are a good way to make people trust you. If you were willing to spend something that valuable on them, you're much less likely to betray them.

Hold a crossbow out all the time. It's widely considered the worst weapon so noone will kill you for it. It also means your backback is full of bolts so they're less likely to kill you for your delicious delicious beans. If you don't know how to use the crossbow you can still carry a good pistol, just don't hold it out when you encounter someone because they'll kill you for it.

If you see a group of people just avoid them. The chance of them shooting you is practically 99.9%. These people likely already know each other and will not trust anyone. They also know they have the power of numbers, so they're going to shoot you even if they DO trust you. It's just how people are.

I've yet to encounter anyone with broken legs who is friendly after using morphine on them. It could be bad luck or it could be them in a mindset of desperation. I'd say avoid people with broken legs.

If you're having a conversation with someone you just met and they seem distracted, they're stalling you. Their friend(s) are coming to shoot you. This is especially true if the other person is the one who approached and started the conversation, it's a common bandit tactic.

the only effective way to encourage trust is through a benefit/penalty system.

i actually already posted an idea regarding this -> http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=22173

its not a popular idea since most of the people in the forums are bandits and dont like to get a penaltiy in the slightest way you can think of.

but i am confident that rocket will work on something. he said more than once that its not the kill-for-fun aspect of the game that should be rewarding. he wants people to work together, rebuild camps, doing missions. the bandits will have their place in his vision but i dont think it will work out the way the bandits want it.

have pacience. something will be changed at some point in the future.

Shoot them in the leg once.

alt+f4.

Reconnect on the same server.

See if they shoot you back.

EDIT: Or.. Get a mic and do your best to have a female voice, be seductive.

Currently there is no incentive or benefit to develop trust in anyone who is not on TS/Vent/Mumble with you etc. Even then you may get the random axe to the back.

hehe small story.

Yesterday a guy joined our teamspeak. Didn't know him but he said he has already played with some of my mates a week ago. Made a friendly and serious impression on me, so I decided to go down south and team up with him.

Was quite a bit worried though on my way. None of my mates was online so I could ask them if he is allright. Anyhow, I decided to try it (and put me and my M107 at risk).

While walking down he died as he was low on blood. On one hand I was a bit relieved when we finally met and he had no weapon. Gave him compass, binoc and map but kept my secondary.

A friend logs in and tells me he is allright.

After some time I cover him in some distance while he loots a barn.

He finds a shotgun with no ammo and a hatchet. I see him coming out of the barn with the hatchet equiped, leaving the shotgun behind.

OUH. First of all, the view of a guy carrying a hatched looks really scary in my eyes. Secondly: Why does he prefer the hatchet and leaves the shotgun behind? I wouldn't have done this, even if there is no ammo for it. Perhaps he needs something which can kill now rather than later...

I let him follow me again but keep some distance. A minute later I make a step to the right and disappear in a tree. Let him pass me ... and move in the opposite direction again and hide.

Soon he asks me where I am. I don't answer, stay silent, thinking.

Is the hatchet man going to kill me? They start to think my PC crashed...

After some minutes I made my decision. "Sorry guys, was afk." Called this guy back to my position. But told him to de-equip his hatchet since it would look scary.

We took position beyond a tree and I teached him sniping, how to calculate distances. But carefully looked over my shoulder once in a while to see if he equips the hatchet...

He didn't do it. Friendly guy and good player.

Jan, if you read this: Don't worry, you're part of the group now :)

So... the point of the story: Trust is something which a gameplay-mechanic cannot facilitate. Even with TS (and after some time a recommendation of my mate) I was not trusting him. Wouldn't have that big of a problem to put my life at risk if I wouldn't have carried a M107.

1. equip makarov and just 2 beans and coke

2. go to coast, look for players

3. if you find one stick with him and team up, if he shots you no biggie you wont lose much

I have already added 3 players to Steam friends list who I met in-game. We didn't know each other. It was back at the day when there still was side channel and people were able to chat around the map. I just chit-chatted with all people and then few times we decided to team up with someone.

One time I was in Krasnostav and the other guy was making his way there. It was a dark, rainy night. The guy said the had found a bus and was now in Krasnostav. I was moving towards the engine sound and then saw the bright headlights of the bus. I ran there but zeds were banging the bus and not too soon, the bus exploded, killing the other guy. I looted his corpse (he had an M4A1 CCO and some useful tools) and when we later on (the next day) met again some place else, I actually gave him back his gear and he was forever thankful. From that point on, we've played together a lot. :P