willhelm

Zombie's speed

This has most likely been posted before, and if it has, just graveyard it or delete it.

But anyway on with the thread. 

Currently zombies are equal if not faster (crawlers are faster?), and they really shouldn't, they should be far slower than humans, but slower would be good enough I guess. They're deteriorated bodies are not in any way shape or form capable of running faster than a healthy human being. 

Hmmm, I can outrun them all the time. They seem to have 2 versions, ones that are as fast as me and ones that are slower than me.

Personally, I think they should be faster than me. It's the only way I'm going to be terrified if I agro them. 

they should be far slower than humans

No. But I think its down to personal preference. Personally I would like them to be exactly as survivors in terms of speed and damage resistance.

I'd like Zombies that are a threat, in a Zombie Survival game and NOT something we can just tab around and continue to shoot other people.

I'd like Zombies that are a threat, in a Zombie Survival game and NOT something we can just tab around and continue to shoot other people.

Agreed. My biggest disappointment with the SA has been the lack of any real improvements over the zombies in the mod. You would think that would have been one of their main goals before ever releasing a SA, early access or not. Zombies, not matter what version, slow moving Romero zeds or the new 28 Days Later, fast and furious kind do not stand and trade blows with you. You shouldn't be able to box a zombie. They should be grabbing, tackling and biting, but I'm afraid we will never get there. =(

It's better if zombies are large in numbers and low speed wise, maybe a few runners. But for the love of god, don't make it so that you get 1-5 zombies chasing you, you kill them, and another 5 spawn and glitch-hit you and make you bleed. It's the most boring stuff ever.

Make them large in numbers, a few fast ones, mostly slow.

The idea of lots of weak zombies is popular, but there are technical difficulties. It would be much easier to just make zeds a bit faster.

I think that ideally zombies should be fractionally faster than humans. This would make escaping harder, and encourage players to come up with more complex escape plans such as baricading (later in development) or climbing up ladders etc.

As for damage resistance... seeing as they are basically humans they should go down after the same number of hits. Now how quickly they get back up after being knocked down is different, seeing as they are 'rabid'. So ideally they should have the edge statistically, but fail in intellect (making zombies easy to outsmart can't be too big a challange)

Part of it is just a taste for the classics (I loved the original "Night of the Living Dead") and maybe part of it is the walking dead, but I'm really a fan of slower-moving shamblers, which aren't a threat on their own, but in large number are terrifying. So maybe raiding a farmhouse that's fairly isolated is really no trouble at all, but heading into even a medium sized town is downright dangerous and terrifying if you're on your own; especially if the zombies can somehow call and agro others.

Right now they're just kind of frustrating, really inconsistent.

Part of it is just a taste for the classics (I loved the original "Night of the Living Dead") and maybe part of it is the walking dead, but I'm really a fan of slower-moving shamblers, which aren't a threat on their own, but in large number are terrifying. So maybe raiding a farmhouse that's fairly isolated is really no trouble at all, but heading into even a medium sized town is downright dangerous and terrifying if you're on your own; especially if the zombies can somehow call and agro others.

Right now they're just kind of frustrating, really inconsistent.

Ya, it's definitely not a zombie game yet. 

It would be nice to "see" large groups of zeds and a mixture of zombie speeds random or by zombie type I'm not bothered either way. It feels like the devs are trying to give the illusion of large numbers with the spawning, but the time I have spent with this system it does not feel right. I have lost count of the times I have taken 1 zed out and haven't seen any others around to then have a running battle with them as it is kill 1 spawn 2 and you see them spawn in ect. It would be good to have a general idea of what you could be letting yourself in for. You see lots of zeds you move on, you see a few you take the risk. A work in progress for the devs I think.