Sign in to follow this  
Bo0G

Remove peripheral dots - Enforce server difficulty settings

Those dots on the side of your screen that are supposed to 'simulate' peripheral vision are a broken mechanic.

If you scan your screen across a horizon watching one of the dots on the side of your screen, as soon as the dot disappears, you know that some spawn-able object (vehicle, animal, player, zombie) is in that spot. If it is 400M away and hidden in a tree, your magical peripheral vision can spot it even when you yourself cannot.

This is a game breaker. It is just as bad, if not worse, than name scanning and it has to go.

Edit: It seems that this is a server setting so thread title has been edited to incorporate my suggestion to enforce specific parameters on servers that claim to be Normal, Veteran, and Expert.

• Like 3

Leave it, just make it a server-chosen option. I can't tell you how many times these things have saved my life while sneaking through a town...

Leave it' date=' just make it a server-chosen option. I can't tell you how many times these things have saved my life while sneaking through a town...

[/quote']

I don't doubt it. Being able to see through walls or having snap-to crosshairs would probably save your life often as well.

Still, if there is a way to remove the dots from server settings, then that would be preferable to not removing them at all (I don't believe this is currently a server option, though I'm not certain). It would be just one more server setting separating the hardcore from the casual players.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it is a server option, because I have been on servers that didnt seem to have them.

I'm pretty sure you will only find this on Regular servers. Try Veteran or Expert if you dont like this.

So it is a server setting? That is strange because I've seen it on servers that are "Expert" according to the browser.

But then I've also been in Expert servers with 3rd person and xhairs enabled. It seems like you can set your difficulty at whatever you want, but then change all the parameters to be easymode anyway. Some defined protocol for normal, vet, expert servers would be helpful.

Well BoOg, that's really a problem with the servers and the way they designate difficulty settings. The problem as it stands, is that each server chooses a difficulty setting to use, but then EVERY variable can be chosen independently. So you can have a Regular server which has all expert settings, or you could have an Expert server which is using all Regular settings. I've seen a bunch of Veteran servers with 3dp and crosshairs turned on....

The REG / VET / EXP designations are only meaningful if the admin left the settings at default. On one hand, it's great that server admins have many options. On the other it just means a giant clusterfuck of servers with random settings and no easy way to differentiate them.

Well BoOg' date=' that's really a problem with the servers and the way they designate difficulty settings. The problem as it stands, is that each server chooses a difficulty setting to use, but then EVERY variable can be chosen independently. So you can have a Regular server which has all expert settings, or you could have an Expert server which is using all Regular settings. I've seen a bunch of Veteran servers with 3dp and crosshairs turned on....

The REG / VET / EXP designations are only meaningful if the admin left the settings at default. On one hand, it's great that server admins have many options. On the other it just means a giant clusterfuck of servers with random settings and no easy way to differentiate them.

[/quote']

Aha! I have wondered about that. So, I edited the thread to incorporate a suggested fix for said clusterfuck.

I edited the thread to incorporate a suggested fix for said clusterfuck.

Still, I think rather than limit server admins to three options, it's better to just do away with the difficulty categories altogether and just enforce that server names must indicate which settings are on/off.

This allows for the greatest possible variety for people to choose how they wish to play, while making sure it is simple to see which servers are using what settings.

• Like 1

Yes each server can alter the difficulty settings as they want

But the browser will still only recognise the the name of the difficulty as in :-

Wanker

Noob

Fool

Expert or Mercenary

The individual settings can be altered by the server owner or admin.

here is an example............ :-

class Difficulties

{

class Recruit

{

class Flags

{

3rdPersonView = 1;

armor = 1;

autoAim = 0;

autoGuideAT = 1;

autoSpot = 1;

cameraShake = 0;

clockIndicator = 1;

deathMessages = 1;

enemyTag = 0;

friendlyTag = 1;

hud = 1;

hudGroupInfo = 1;

hudPerm = 1;

hudWp = 1;

hudWpPerm = 1;

map = 1;

netStats = 1;

tracers = 1;

ultraAI = 0;

unlimitedSaves = 1;

vonID = 1;

weaponCursor = 1;

};

skillFriendly = 1;

precisionFriendly = 1;

skillEnemy = 0.55;

precisionEnemy = 0.3;

};

class Regular

{

class Flags

{

3rdPersonView = 1;

armor = 1;

autoAim = 0;

autoGuideAT = 1;

autoSpot = 1;

cameraShake = 1;

clockIndicator = 1;

deathMessages = 1;

enemyTag = 0;

friendlyTag = 1;

hud = 1;

hudGroupInfo = 1;

hudPerm = 1;

hudWp = 1;

hudWpPerm = 1;

map = 1;

netStats = 1;

tracers = 1;

ultraAI = 0;

unlimitedSaves = 1;

vonId = 1;

weaponCursor = 1;

};

skillFriendly = 1;

precisionFriendly = 1;

skillEnemy = 0.7;

precisionEnemy = 0.5;

};

class Veteran

{

class Flags

{

3rdPersonView = 1;

armor = 0;// Cannot be changed

autoAim = 0;// Cannot be changed

autoGuideAT = 0;// Cannot be changed

autoSpot = 0;// Cannot be changed

cameraShake = 1;

clockIndicator = 0;

deathMessages = 1;

enemyTag = 0;// Cannot be changed

friendlyTag = 0;// Cannot be changed

hud = 1;

hudGroupInfo = 0;

hudPerm = 0;// Cannot be changed

hudWp = 1;

hudWpPerm = 0;// Cannot be changed

map = 0;

netStats = 1;

tracers = 0;// Cannot be changed

ultraAI = 0;

unlimitedSaves = 0;

vonId = 0;

weaponCursor = 1;

};

skillFriendly = 1;

precisionFriendly = 1;

skillEnemy = 0.9;

precisionEnemy = 0.75;

};

class Mercenary

{

class Flags

{

3rdPersonView = 0;// Cannot be changed

armor = 0;// Cannot be changed

autoAim = 0;// Cannot be changed

autoGuideAT = 0;// Cannot be changed

autoSpot = 0;// Cannot be changed

cameraShake = 1;// Cannot be changed

clockIndicator = 0;// Cannot be changed

deathMessages = 0;

enemyTag = 0;// Cannot be changed

friendlyTag = 0;// Cannot be changed

hud = 0;// Cannot be changed

hudGroupInfo = 0;// Cannot be changed

hudPerm = 0;// Cannot be changed

hudWp = 0;// Cannot be changed

hudWpPerm = 0;// Cannot be changed

map = 0;// Cannot be changed

netStats = 0;

tracers = 0;// Cannot be changed

ultraAI = 0;

unlimitedSaves = 0;// Cannot be changed

vonID = 0;

weaponCursor = 0;// Cannot be changed

};

skillFriendly = 1;

precisionFriendly = 1;

skillEnemy = 1;

precisionEnemy = 1;

};

};

Still' date=' I think rather than limit server admins to three options, it's better to just do away with the difficulty categories altogether and just enforce that server names must indicate which settings are on/off.

This allows for the greatest possible variety for people to choose how they wish to play, while making sure it is simple to see which servers are using what settings.

[/quote']

Many games only have 1 or 2 difficulty settings for online play. I think 3 is more than generous. I think there are too many parameters to include in a server name along with the actual server name itself.

ie. DayZ-US121-Atlanta-3rd=0-xhair=0-chat=0-periph=0-killspam=0-waypoint=0-playernames=0... Now imagine a screen full of these with varying orders, and values.

I think I would prefer the admins to be slightly limited to this charlie foxtrot

Still' date=' I think rather than limit server admins to three options, it's better to just do away with the difficulty categories altogether and just enforce that server names must indicate which settings are on/off.

[/quote']

Many games only have 1 or 2 difficulty settings for online play. I think 3 is more than generous. I think there are too many parameters to include in a server name along with the actual server name itself.

ie. DayZ-US121-Atlanta-3rd=0-xhair=0-chat=0-periph=0-killspam=0-waypoint=0-playernames=0... Now imagine a screen full of these with varying orders, and values.

I think I would prefer the admins to be slightly limited to this charlie foxtrot

Actually m8 i think you will find aram2 has 4 default difficulty settings.

With innumerable variations of the settings.

I would be all up in ya face for 2 settings though ... maybe call them

Fucking Noobs

and

Not so Fucking Noobs

or

Beginners

and

Professionals

as it stands though its a "complete fuckup" opps I mean charlie foxtrot.

Fucking Noobs

and

Not so Fucking Noobs

or

Beginners

and

Professionals

Beansprouts

and

Beanstalks

Yeah, I realize that there are way too many to list. What I mean is the few that most people are focused on. 3rd person / Reticle / Name tags / etc.

Personally, I can give or take any of the settings with the exception of Nametags on. I simply REFUSE to play on any server with that shit turned on.

"HELLO - My Name Is ______________"

"My range from the barrel of your gun is XXX"

" I know you can't see me, I'm behind this rock. No not that rock....over here \o/ "

Just stupid and has no place whatsoever in this game.

Fucking Noobs

and

Not so Fucking Noobs

or

Beginners

and

Professionals

Beansprouts

and

Beanstalks

DUDE I was agreeing with ya

The settings are fucked and too many noobs think this is how arma is played.

Even though any true arma player stopped using 3rd shit quite a few years ago.

Yeah' date=' I realize that there are way too many to list. What I mean is the few that most people are focused on. 3rd person / Reticle / Name tags / etc.

Personally, I can give or take any of the settings with the exception of Nametags on. I simply REFUSE to play on any server with that shit turned on.

"HELLO - My Name Is ______________"

"My range from the barrel of your gun is XXX"

" I know you can't see me, I'm behind this rock. No not that rock....over here \o/ "

Just stupid and has no place whatsoever in this game.

[/quote']

Peripheral dots do the same thing as playernames (minus the range-to-target) only you don't even have to have your crosshair on them (they don't even have to be on your screen)!

Those things are there to keep the game accessible to players who are just starting out. Arma2 vets don't want any of that BS

That's why I am suggesting just a few server difficulty settings that are consistent across all servers. Any player can look at a glance and choose a server best suited to their ability.

I agree with Bo0G.

I also think that server settings should be limited, the reason I'm here is because I just bounced from 4 "Veteran" servers which had crosshairs on them, figured I would stop wasting my time and make a forum post. It's bad enough that regular servers even exist, but that half of the veteran servers are in the closet noob factories is even worse.

Some consistency would be nice.

These "peripheral vision" indicators (I've been referring to them as my Left/Right audio indicators) are completely fine left in game.

Rocket mentioned that he wanted the most minimal HUD possible, using subtleties to que the player that something is near, needs doing, etc.

At the same time, he said he needed to have things available to make the game playable to players who perhaps listen to music, or play muted, or perhaps don't have surround sound.

So when I hear a zed in my area, I instinctively turn my head (alt+mouse look) to scan the area with my ears (peripheral dots), to find out in what direction the threat is coming from.

This is NOT a matter of being able to see through walls. It's being able to differentiate left and right hearing.

THIS SETTING SHOULD BE ON ALL SERVERS.

HOWEVER:

The only terribly wrong thing with the system, is that it makes players a GREEN dot... players and zeds should not have different colored dots to represent them... just as animals aren't separated from Zeds.

"Peripheral Vision Indicators" in this game is a handicap. I have two eyeballs, my peripheral vision works just fine when looking at my screen. Get out of your chair, go outside and stand still in one spot. Look at the house across from you, anything that moves (animal, car, plane) whatever it may be. You can spot movements whether they are slow and your eyes even pick up some pretty fast speeds as well. Now while your standing there can you pick up the movement of PEOPLE down in the city 800 meters out? HELL NO!

On DayZ, I can be near Balota airstrip or be on Lingor at the South End of Maruko. If I want to know where the zombies are I can stand in a forest turn my screen left and right and see a huge pile of white dots filling my screen whether there is buildings in my way or not. This feature needs to be disabled or fixed. Its a handicap.

Not sure about the rest of you but I WANT REALISM in a game. If I wanted "magic" Id go find some Disney game to play. If I am surrounded by objects impairing my peripheral view I should not have a single dot. If I am in the open I should only have dots within my line of sight up to 500 maybe 600 meters out. Peripheral works big distances only when the object its bigger. Such as a plane at a very high altitude, or clear skies when you can see a small dark object moving through the sky which happens to be a satellite.

All I want to know is how do I disable "Peripheral Vision Indicators" on my server, because it should only be allowed in the noob servers. By noob I mean Regular or Recruit servers.

Which file do I modify?

"Peripheral Vision Indicators" in this game is a handicap. I have two eyeballs, my peripheral vision works just fine when looking at my screen. Get out of your chair, go outside and stand still in one spot. Look at the house across from you, anything that moves (animal, car, plane) whatever it may be. You can spot movements whether they are slow and your eyes even pick up some pretty fast speeds as well. Now while your standing there can you pick up the movement of PEOPLE down in the city 800 meters out? HELL NO!

On DayZ, I can be near Balota airstrip or be on Lingor at the South End of Maruko. If I want to know where the zombies are I can stand in a forest turn my screen left and right and see a huge pile of white dots filling my screen whether there is buildings in my way or not. This feature needs to be disabled or fixed. Its a handicap.

Not sure about the rest of you but I WANT REALISM in a game. If I wanted "magic" Id go find some Disney game to play. If I am surrounded by objects impairing my peripheral view I should not have a single dot. If I am in the open I should only have dots within my line of sight up to 500 maybe 600 meters out. Peripheral works big distances only when the object its bigger. Such as a plane at a very high altitude, or clear skies when you can see a small dark object moving through the sky which happens to be a satellite.

All I want to know is how do I disable "Peripheral Vision Indicators" on my server, because it should only be allowed in the noob servers. By noob I mean Regular or Recruit servers.

Which file do I modify?

If you find out how to do this can you please reply to this thread and let us know.

I've tried various things trying to remove peripheral dots from my server but to no joy. So everyone has a wall hack.

Last thing I tried was editing ArmA2OAProfile and adding this line into each difficulty setting:

PeripheralVisionAid=0;

But this has had no effect on my server.

Cheers

I agree, it should be removed, server owners should not have a choice in this say. These 'dots' can be used to scan out vehicles and what direction they may be hidden in a thick forest. You may not know it yet but people do use this method to find camps and such.

I honestly don't believe this belongs in DayZ.

• Like 1

Peripheral dots, Nametags and Crosshairs should all be removed.

I've gotten used to playing DayZ with 3rd person view enabled (makes long walks slightly less boring) but it wouldn't fuss me either way if it was removed too.

I agree with koze, the dots shouldn't even be optional. IMO the less HUD the better.

• Like 1

If you find out how to do this can you please reply to this thread and let us know.

I've tried various things trying to remove peripheral dots from my server but to no joy. So everyone has a wall hack.

Last thing I tried was editing ArmA2OAProfile and adding this line into each difficulty setting:

PeripheralVisionAid=0;

But this has had no effect on my server.

Cheers

I attempt every combination of every difficulty setting from Recruit to Mercenary making sure all values were set to 0 and even adding in the PeripheralVisionAid=0; as well as VisionAid=0;

From Recruit to Veteran changing any of the difficulty values does not turn the Peripheral Vision Indicators OFF. Though, changing to Mercenary without changing any values - the indicators are automatically OFF. So this tells me that there has to be another file somewhere that has these peripheral vision pre-set to each difficulty already. It would make sense that Rocket disabled them on the hardest difficulty.

I dont understand the logic of Peripheral Vision Indicators in a game thats all about keeping the survival REALism. They should be removed.

Edited by Marine

@Marine I found the same thing. Logically, it should be in a simple configuration. I have added several strings as well, to try and compensate for this. I run an rMod realism server, with realistically placed vehicles and weapon caches, and these dots need to die! My guys are tired of being in a littlebird and getting spammed by these things, and losing gear from well hidden camps being raided due to these little bastards. .

Other things I have tried, building my own Difficulty Setting...did not work, simply defaulted back to the last saved one. "Veteran"

I run a saintly build. 1.7.3 Chernarus

Thats about it, This server is running, so, I dont really have time to take it down a lot and chance dumping it.

If anyone gets a fix, please mention it, and I will do the same. Going to head to the tunngle page, maybe some answers there.