Sign in to follow this  
addzdw

animated ragdoll system-red dead redemption style

Sooo..... i thought about it and... its a great idea for realism!!!

Ragdoll being added soon is great, it just seems to plain, but in GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption

they both had great mechanics which greatly improved realism in most cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS9klllrwFw --- example video deaths, from gta

---- better example of deaths from red dead

In Dayz when getting shot with the new ragdoll.... you just drop like a dead guy with no care in the world....

when you get shot with a mosin, say in the chest, your player should scream or whatever and

your character should then grab that area of the wound and stagger and then fall while holding on for life.

this would be great for passing out, as you running along, low on blood your screen should go blurry

and your player starts to wobble and falls to the ground.

Like jumping out of a moving car or a helicopter, this new ragdoll idea would greatly add fun

and realism to simple things as stepping of a cliff....

----- example of falling, crashing etc

i think this is a great idea and should be considered.

what do you guys think??? :thumbsup:

what you suggest is not ragdoll physics but situational animations, for instance for injuries and death.

as for the exaggerated knockback effect when being hit by a bullet, thats the domain of action movies. in reality, a bullet doesnt knock you back, or even off your feet. this has been most prominently debunked by mythbusters as a myth/movie trope

Edited by e47
  • Like 5

what you suggest is not ragdoll physics but situational animations, for instance for injuries and death.

as for the exaggerated knockback effect when being hit by a bullet, thats the domain of action movies. in reality, a bullet doesnt knock you back, or even off your feet. this has been most prominently debunked by mythbusters as a myth/movie trope

Well this is not completely true, a bullet has a velocity after all and the energy is transferred to the body. But of course you will not fly away like in the moves, but I think a chest shot from a mosen would knock you to the ground.

Also a .50 cal sniper rifle also will :)

In Dayz when getting shot with the new ragdoll.... you just drop like a dead guy with no care in the world....

Well this is not completely true, a bullet has a velocity after all and the energy is transferred to the body. But of course you will not fly away like in the moves, but I think a chest shot from a mosen would knock you to the ground.

Also a .50 cal sniper rifle also will  :)

"I think"... look it up

Think about it, the knock back force the bullet has on the target has to be the same than the force the bullet has on the guy shooting the rifle, so as long as you don't fly back when shooting, neither will the target. Plus, the bullet looses force during flying, and doesn't put all energy on throwing you back, since it's piercing your body, so the amount of energy the bullet has when exiting the body doesn't push the body back. It's just movie myths, no matter of the size of the caliber, the amount of force hitting you back is determined by the energy it takes for the bullet to Pierce your body, which is obviously not enough. As you can see in the video, even if all the force pushes you back (that rifle easily pierces a body) in has basically no effect on pushing you back...
Edited by degude
  • Like 3

No, the most that it would do is make you jerk, like being punched jerk not OMFG FLY 400 YARDS AS I RAGDOLL jerk. I seriously dpubt youve ever seen anything get shot, when I shoot animals they jerk and collapse. My dad was in Iraq, and he is the most prominent debunker of the movie BS where a 45 knocks you back 4 feet. Oh and buddy? A 50 cal definitely wouldnt knock you back, it just tears a big ass hole in you as you ragdoll to the ground, not 400 yards.
  • Like 1

If you watch any War video, people dont die in that way, they just drop down like a empty sack.

of course some animations for non instand kills like red orchestra would be a very nice addiction.

Edited by Edoissimo

The Arma engine could probably not support this.

Also it would do the exact opposite of help realism.  

Also stop high lighting realism.  Dayz is a game.  Its never going to be like real life.  

.50 AM rifle can and does knock targets down/ back a few feet. Hence the way the rifle is designed to take most of the recoil, also the fact they are rarely fired from a non-fixed position.

Or if you'd like a better example look up the .700 nitro express, also a shotgun blast will knock you on you ass. Equal force applies yes, but 9/10 time the shooter is prepared for the force while the person/animal/thing is not. Don't cite myth busters if you aren't going to cite all the facts.

Myth busters tested with typical "movie" guns (ie hand guns and shotguns). Not anti-material rifles or anything designed to handle the force exerted by that type of round. They also didn't mention that the weight an stance of the shooter applies. Or that the weight stance and position of the intended target apply. No you're not going to fly back 10 yards, but many higher caliber rounds can spin a target, knock over an off balance target etc. that .700 is likely to move a target the size of the average man a few feet from the location he was shot in.

Gravity and physics at it's finest

.50 AM rifle can and does knock targets down/ back a few feet. Hence the way the rifle is designed to take most of the recoil, also the fact they are rarely fired from a non-fixed position.

Or if you'd like a better example look up the .700 nitro express, also a shotgun blast will knock you on you ass. Equal force applies yes, but 9/10 time the shooter is prepared for the force while the person/animal/thing is not. Don't cite myth busters if you aren't going to cite all the facts.

Myth busters tested with typical "movie" guns (ie hand guns and shotguns). Not anti-material rifles or anything designed to handle the force exerted by that type of round. They also didn't mention that the weight an stance of the shooter applies. Or that the weight stance and position of the intended target apply. No you're not going to fly back 10 yards, but many higher caliber rounds can spin a target, knock over an off balance target etc. that .700 is likely to move a target the size of the average man a few feet from the location he was shot in.

I just leave this uncommented...

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode38

.50 AM rifle can and does knock targets down/ back a few feet.

also a shotgun blast will knock you on you ass

Reference please?  I can't imagine a person absorbing _all_ (or even a large percentage) of the energy of a .50 round... especially considering it will go through them like a bb through paper.  The shotgun they might absorb all of the energy from, but then I've never been knocked down from firing a shotgun, even while standing/moving (or even knocked back significantly...).

Equal force applies yes, but 9/10 time the shooter is prepared for the force while the person/animal/thing is not.

Can you give me a reference to the experiment run where 9 out of 10 times a shooter was prepared for the force and the target was not?  Or are you just making this up?

Don't cite myth busters if you aren't going to cite all the facts.

That's utterly ridiculous, since the point of referencing a source is to use their work to backup a statement you are making.  For example, I can say that electricity can kill people according to this article, but I need not give you all the details of their report since I referenced it.  If you care to prove that my statement is true, you must go to the reference first.

Wait, didn't you just say that shotguns would knock someone down... but then immediately after you say that the mythbusters tested this with shotguns...  so what you're telling me is that you really, really don't know what you're talking about? kk.

• Like 1

so being 'prepared' negates a certain amount of force? Newton you noob, you forgot to include that in your third law!

Being prepared allows you to compensate for the force, and not once did I say that you'd be knocked back a significant amount by a shotgun, I said it'd would knock you on your ass. And I could provide plenty of reference material where unprepared shooters hurt themselves, are knocked over, loose the firearm etc.

you got it wrong buddy... i dont mean that i mean if i were to shoot in real life would you just ragdoll/fall or would you shit your pants and realise youve been shot and stagger to the ground, but if it was in the head then go ahead and fall down

you fellas got me wrong, i know you would fall down but would you so lifelesssly???

Edited by foxtrot9ner

"I think"... look it up

Think about it, the knock back force the bullet has on the target has to be the same than the force the bullet has on the guy shooting the rifle, so as long as you don't fly back when shooting, neither will the target. Plus, the bullet looses force during flying, and doesn't put all energy on throwing you back, since it's piercing your body, so the amount of energy the bullet has when exiting the body doesn't push the body back. It's just movie myths, no matter of the size of the caliber, the amount of force hitting you back is determined by the energy it takes for the bullet to Pierce your body, which is obviously not enough. As you can see in the video, even if all the force pushes you back (that rifle easily pierces a body) in has basically no effect on pushing you back...

IF i shot yo with a 50 call would you just fall and be dead or woulld you realise....... shittt i have just been shot and then not fly away but stagger to the ground!

No, the most that it would do is make you jerk, like being punched jerk not OMFG FLY 400 YARDS AS I RAGDOLL jerk. I seriously dpubt youve ever seen anything get shot, when I shoot animals they jerk and collapse. My dad was in Iraq, and he is the most prominent debunker of the movie BS where a 45 knocks you back 4 feet. Oh and buddy? A 50 cal definitely wouldnt knock you back, it just tears a big ass hole in you as you ragdoll to the ground, not 400 yards.

youre right thats exactly what i mean, in arma 3 the ragdoll is shit because you dont jerk you just fall like hey its sleepy time ill take a nap here ! have my beans sir

Being prepared allows you to compensate for the force, and not once did I say that you'd be knocked back a significant amount by a shotgun, I said it'd would knock you on your ass. And I could provide plenty of reference material where unprepared shooters hurt themselves, are knocked over, loose the firearm etc.

Well, I've showed the reference, where they prove that you don't get knocked back. Where's your reference?

IF i shot yo with a 50 call would you just fall and be dead or woulld you realise....... shittt i have just been shot and then not fly away but stagger to the ground!

What? I think my answer would be "fall down and be dead", because thats how it is, but I'm not sure if I understood your question...

Well, I've showed the reference, where they prove that you don't get knocked back. Where's your reference?

What? I think my answer would be "fall down and be dead", because thats how it is, but I'm not sure if I understood your question...

Here is the reference where it's actually possible with just one of the guns I mentioned, when I get home I'll find the explanation of the barrel design of the .50 anti-material rifle, and the video of plent of dumb asses mishandling firearms tat explain the difference between being prepared to compensate for the force exerted by a firearm and not being prepared.

Here is the reference where it's actually possible with just one of the guns I mentioned, when I get home I'll find the explanation of the barrel design of the .50 anti-material rifle, and the video of plent of dumb asses mishandling firearms tat explain the difference between being prepared to compensate for the force exerted by a firearm and not being prepared.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you're a funny guy.

We were talking about the 50 cal, which is probably too big that it will ever appear in DayZ, but you're taking the .700 Nitro Express as a reference, are you kidding me?

For everyone who doesn't know what a .700 Nitro Express is, here is a picture:

700NExpress.jpg

We are talking about a bullet, which could be used to shoot down airplanes or penetrate amored vehicles, it generates 20,000 J of force (for comparison M4 ammo has 1,700 J of force).

So, please get a reference with a 50 cal, then we can keep talking. BTW, I'm not sure if this bullet would knock the target back, because again, the ammount of energy which is put on the body is only the ammount it needs for the bullet to penetrate the body, which is only a small fraction of the energy this bullet has. In the video ALL the energy is put on the shooter, so that's why it knock them back.

Edited by degude

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you're a funny guy.

We were talking about the 50 cal, which is probably too big that it will ever appear in DayZ, but you're taking the .700 Nitro Express as a reference, are you kidding me?

For everyone who doesn't know what a .700 Nitro Express is, here is a picture:

700NExpress.jpg

We are talking about a bullet, which could be used to shoot down airplanes or penetrate amored vehicles, it generates 20,000 J of force (for comparison M4 ammo has 1,700 J of force).

So, please get a reference with a 50 cal, then we can keep talking. BTW, I'm not sure if this bullet would knock the target back, because again, the ammount of energy which is put on the body is only the ammount it needs for the bullet to penetrate the body, which is only a small fraction of the energy this bullet has. In the video ALL the energy is put on the shooter, so that's why it knock them back.

No I specifically brought up the .700 in my original post, and as far as the .50 just look up the gun, the gun itself is designed to take 90% of the force from firing the barrel compensates so it doesn't knock you back, you can use YouTube just as well as I can plenty of videos that reference my points.

.50 AM rifle can and does 

knock targets down/ back a few feet. Hence the way the rifle is designed to take most of the recoil, also the fact they are rarely fired from a non-fixed position.

No I specifically brought up the .700 in my original post, and as far as the .50 just look up the gun, the gun itself is designed to take 90% of the force from firing the barrel compensates so it doesn't knock you back, you can use YouTube just as well as I can plenty of videos that reference my points.

Well, then show me your references. You also said the .50 cal will knock somebody back a few feet...

Maybe you watch Mythbusters Season 3 Episode 21. They shoot a dummy with a .50 cal and made sure he took ALL the kinetic energy and he flew back 2,5 inches... A .50 probably needs only 10% (rather less) of it's energy to penetrate a body, which is then the total force applied to the body, so there is noy "flying back".

Well, then show me your references. You also said the .50 cal will knock somebody back a few feet...

Maybe you watch Mythbusters Season 3 Episode 21. They shoot a dummy with a .50 cal and made sure he took ALL the kinetic energy and he flew back 2,5 inches... A .50 probably needs only 10% (rather less) of it's energy to penetrate a body, which is then the total force applied to the body, so there is noy "flying back".

Never said "flying back" also you have the same tools I have to search your damn self I proved there are guns that exert enough force to move a target object back a significant amount, the video I linked does so it also proved my point about shooter readiness I'm not gonna sit here and do your read watch for you, I'm also not going to argue all the variables presented in real life versus a reality tv show. I've fired the .50 anti-material rounds wachted the reactions of the targets as well as the firearm.

Wanna see for yourself google it

Isn't everyone here a scientist! Seriously guys, it's a suggestion not a debate topic. I'm sure the video posted with the vest proves it without the arguing.

Never said "flying back" also you have the same tools I have to search your damn self I proved there are guns that exert enough force to move a target object back a significant amount, the video I linked does so it also proved my point about shooter readiness I'm not gonna sit here and do your read watch for you, I'm also not going to argue all the variables presented in real life versus a reality tv show. I've fired the .50 anti-material rounds wachted the reactions of the targets as well as the firearm.

Wanna see for yourself google it

"flying/knocking/pushing back" I don't care how we call it, there is none of those...

I showed my reference why a .50 cal won't push you back, now if YOU say a bullet will knock back a human (or animal) target, the YOU should show the proof, not ME. I'm not going to search for your non-existent proof.

But hey, do you want to see more proofs? In those Videos some people shoot deer with a 50 cal BMG and there is NO knock back effect, they just drop to the ground...