Sign in to follow this  
eriaga

Don't spawn with gun!?

I don't spawn with a gun on dayz, i have tested many different servers. Both veterans and regular servers. It's impossible for me to find any gun if all zombies are after me so i can't play this game. I remember that it stood "no entery bin/wepons" or something like that.

Thanks!

Since the last patch there is no more starting weapon. You need to get away from the main cities and try looting smaller settlements or deer stands until you find one. Usually if you are not running aimlessly without watching where you step you should get one fast and easily.

Gun on spawn was removed more than a week ago... And you can just ignore that error message, it changes nothing. Just try going for the nearest town ( or if you like danger but better odds, go to the Balota air strip ) and walking slowly or going prone to loot open houses and outdoors barns.

Check right side of our screen, the eye and ear icon. The faster you run, the taller you walk, the easier it is for zombies to hear/see you. While you're unarmed, you need to move silent and low, when close to zombies. Pick up empty cans/bottles to throw/distract zombies away from houses, where you think weapons are.

Gun on spawn was removed more than a week ago... And you can just ignore that error message' date=' it changes nothing. Just try going for the nearest town ( or if you like danger but better odds, go to the Balota air strip ) and walking slowly or going prone to loot open houses and outdoors barns.

[/quote']

I've been to the air strip a few times and never once seen a gun there lol. I think people take them right away, so I don't think thats the best location anymore.

I always run straight inland and run through the woods until I find a road. Than I follow that until I find a barn or something similar. Seems to work better for me

You can find guns, it just depends where you look. If you are playing on a large player server it is very likely that Cherno and Elektro are going to have all the good loot gone quite quickly, honestly your best bet is to head in-land to barns and deer stands. You will find some kind of weapon there whether that is a hatchet or a CZ, you will find something.

Yeah, it's definitely not impossible. I've made characters in the pitch black with a flashlight and lived on for a couple of weeks starting like that. It's just a pain in the ass.

Check right side of our screen' date=' the eye and ear icon. The faster you run, the taller you walk, the easier it is for zombies to hear/see you. While you're unarmed, you need to move silent and low, when close to zombies. Pick up empty cans/bottles to throw/distract zombies away from houses, where you think weapons are.

[/quote']

Ahhh! did not know that about the distracting zombies. That's one of the problems. Everyone thinks it will be like all the other consolish type kid games, and there is no documention on how to actually play the mod, or what you can do with items and how to use them. But that's part of the fun... learning how to survive.

The way you're going to have to go is just go prone and start crawling around. It's a pain but there's no real other way to get around in the towns on the coast; unless you find out how to throw things... Unlike me.

I went west of spawn and found some flares, bandages, compass, and some shot-shells, no weapons yet; just a lot of zeds patrolling.

Junk items (bottles, cans and soda cans) can all be used to distract zombies. If you have them in the inventory and hit F you get the option to 'throw', and zeds will investigate where it lands if they hear it. Flares are also supposed to attract zombies, but that seems less reliable, and smoke grenades attract SHITLOADS of zombies. They just love that colored smoke.

But I usually don't bother, just crouch-walk (hit X, hit shift twice), and crawl if a zombie gets too close. You'll learn how much visibility/audibility you can have without being detected.

If you still need help getting started and understanding the basics of this game, add me on Steam. My Steam ID is in my sig.

Smoke grenades makes zombie rush and attack the smoke. Road flares only work at night, if the flare is in the zombies line of sight, it will walk slowly to investigate, like they investigate the sound of empty cans or smashed bottles.

Yes, you don't spawn with guns anymore. You must work to get a weapon, I can see why the development removed it and I support the removal. It's actually fairly easy to get a gun, sneak around zombies and loot big cities and general stores such as in Elektro and you'll be set. There's still a risk of dying though from players hiding waiting to get some newbie kills against the coast.

The "no entry bin/weapons" is just a false warning, ignore it and play the game. Guns will spawn, you just have back luck in the places that you loot.

Pretty much what the others have said - starting out, everything can and will kick your ass, so your only option is to never give zombies/players the opportunity. Before entering a building/area to loot, check the number of zombies, and where they are. If they're close to the building, or you think there are some inside, throw junk (cans, bottles) to lure them away.

Stay silent, stay low, and don't push your luck. Just because you haven't run into any trouble doesn't mean there isn't danger. Once you get inside a building, don't be sprinting around and making a ruckus - stay away from windows and watch your noise/sight bars.

First priority is food and water, not guns, remember.