Sign in to follow this  
Samuri_Bake_Pie

Combat Flying

I need to know what I can do to improve my chances of winning a heli fight. My buddy and I got shot down in a 1v1 venom duel and we didn't even know it started, we heard shots, saw them about 1500 out and we were crashing. Came back and we were right behind them about 2 hours later lighting them up from about 400 and they didn't crash, got away from us and repaired and shot us down again. What do i need to do to get better? How do I fly straighter so my gunner can aim without me bouncing around, how can I perfect manual firing?

As a experience heli pilot myself i will list the best tips i can give you in bullet points in the form of numbers.

1. USE YOUR RADAR! So many pilots i've flown with in arma2/DayZ never use the damned radar. The Radar depending on the aircraft goes up to about 2km away depending on altitude i believe.

2. Keep communication with your gunners by giving them direction of the target. For instance if there is a Heli at 3 o'clock best way to immediately is to pre ordain the nose of the Heli as the 12 o'clock.

3. Don't worry about fancy flips and other shit. But one of the things that will really throw an attack chopper off (I use this often) If i notice them barreling towards me i usually pull back hard on the Stick and cut the engine to drop quickly then start it back and bolt away (best if your not well equipped to fight it.) If you drop altitude rather fast and spin off to an opposite direction away from the attacker you may have a chance to live longer. (btw this works because of Aforementioned Tip 1)

There is other Tactics you can use but these are just a few and i hope they help you in your endeavors.

• Like 1

As a experience heli pilot myself i will list the best tips i can give you in bullet points in the form of numbers.

1. USE YOUR RADAR! So many pilots i've flown with in arma2/DayZ never use the damned radar. The Radar depending on the aircraft goes up to about 2km away depending on altitude i believe.

2. Keep communication with your gunners by giving them direction of the target. For instance if there is a Heli at 3 o'clock best way to immediately is to pre ordain the nose of the Heli as the 12 o'clock.

3. Don't worry about fancy flips and other shit. But one of the things that will really throw an attack chopper off (I use this often) If i notice them barreling towards me i usually pull back hard on the Stick and cut the engine to drop quickly then start it back and bolt away (best if your not well equipped to fight it.) If you drop altitude rather fast and spin off to an opposite direction away from the attacker you may have a chance to live longer. (btw this works because of Aforementioned Tip 1)

There is other Tactics you can use but these are just a few and i hope they help you in your endeavors.

Thanks so much! 

-Use your mouse to fly, not WASD

-Never use auto-hover, not even to land

-Move your mouse smoothly, don't jerk it around

-Remain in control of the aircraft

-Communicate with your team

-If you're flying an Mi-24, open the side hatches before taking off so there's a big hole in the side, I've literally had rockets shot through that hole and missed me.

-Press R to fire countermeasures (flares) to avoid rockets or distract someone tailing you

-Always try to be behind them

Edited by mullraugh

I would also recommend you open regular arma 2 or arrowhead and pass air combat trainings...