Sign in to follow this  
radius

Six Updater download issue

Mod Edit: This thread is full of bullshit. Please read the last post of this thread for info: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23828&pid=213079#pid213079

Your brilliant discourse aside, I have to agree. I was going to install it when it asked me to accept the license for the 6 pieces of malware/toolbars it contains. I hit decline and it proceeded to try to install them anyhow.

Thankfully I always test this crap in a VM first, so no harm done. Still, I would advise people to steer clear of it unless you can stand the extras it installs..

it's a dick move.. i'm mad

So don't use it, torrent the mod and manually install. Takes like 2 seconds.

So don't use it' date=' torrent the mod and manually install. Takes like 2 seconds.

[/quote']

yah well.. A warning that says that on the download page would be nice

"WARNING THIS IS MALWARE.. YOU SHOULD USE TORRENT INSTEAD.."

It actually says the opposite of that on the download page.

Rocket sold out already

So don't use it' date=' torrent the mod and manually install. Takes like 2 seconds.

[/quote']

Rocket sold out already

That would be true if it was malware (but its not)

[/quote']

Rocket sold out already

Who says that it's a malware? Your free Norton Antivirus?

it installs several unwanted programs.. as explained by whargod. Including one that is telling me my disk is slow and i need to buy some software..

At least it lets me uninstall it w/out having to go into safe mode and all that shit..

Babylon bar.. what the fuck.. installs that shit to keep track of what you read on the internet and try to sell you shit..

[/quote']

Rocket sold out already

Who says that it's a malware? Your free Norton Antivirus?

I don't mind the app, it's just the extras it puts in there. I never ran it against SpyBot but I'm sure it would pick up on something it puts on the computer.

sickboy is looking to cash in, it indeed this is all true. Otherwise you downloaded a tainted copy

A helpful hint for anyone installing unknown software for the first time, either run a second copy of Windows in VirtualBox, or use an app VM called Sandboxee. They allow you to run programs in a virtual environment so if they install a bunch of stuff you are protected, it only installs it in the VM (virtual machine). If you don't like it, wipe the VM and it's gone.

spybot would def flag babylon toolbar. It's adware and if you google it on IE some people do not have such an easy time removing it..

edit: that's sound security advice whargod.. i just would not have expected this from rocket..

Sixupdater is a crappy piece of bloatware allright. Crummy toolbars and stuff are being shipped with a lot of tools these days (MicroTorrent, Foxit Reader to name 2 :\ ).

i went through the babylon bar thing before...fucking BS but uh ya dude it didn't isntall that for me

Six Launcher did not install anything extra for me. I use fire foxes script blocker so maybe that took care of it.

A friend of mine tried to install six launcher and he told me it was trying to install some other stuff. I figured out he was clicking on the wrong like and once he used the correct link it did not download anything extra.

i went through the babylon bar thing before...fucking BS but uh ya dude it didn't isntall that for me

wellp.. i just did this 10 minutes ago.. so maybe since rocket started advertising it they decided to load up more shit into it and attack some 300k people's computers all at once.

spybot would def flag babylon toolbar. It's adware and if you google it on IE some people do not have such an easy time removing it..

edit: that's sound security advice whargod.. i just would not have expected this from rocket..

maybe he just prefers this tool and doesn't mind the extras it puts in, who knows. Everyone has their own thing. Not to mention it really is voluntary on our part to install it even though it does it without permission. I am thinking I should verify what I saw about the decline button not working and file a formal complaint with the devs of that app.

Six Launcher did not install anything extra for me. I fire foxes script blocker so maybe that took care of it.

A friend of mine tried to install six launcher and he told me it was trying to install some other stuff. I figured out he was clicking on the wrong like and once he used the correct link it did not download anything extra.

maybe that's what happened to me too i dunno. When you click the six updater link on the download page it takes you to another page with a big "DOWNLOAD" button..

maybe i needed to look for a smaller "we wont fuck you" button

either way it's shady shit..

Where did you download it from?

It didn't install any extra programs with me. So: more details please.

Edit: nevermind.

I didn't get any malware with sixupdater...or if I did, I never noticed, and it's time to cancel my AVG subscription.

Where did you download it from?

It didn't install any extra programs with me. So: more details please.

Edit: nevermind.

big blue dl button.. click rockets "download and install this software" link on the download page

same, i don't remember it installing or even asking for permission about tool bars, you guys downloaded a tainted installer.