Sign in to follow this  
radius

Six Updater download issue

ok updated the title..

the big blue download button on the six updater website is not the correct download button..

it's the subtle version link at the top.

Haven't seen any toolbars (haven't used it for a few weeks) but when I did use it everything slowed to a crawl. Stayed away from it since my first attempt.

edit - lol misread. but siix updater is lame

I think some of you are missing the point. What is the first thing it says when you click download?

" Six Updater Suite (Recommended)"

Not "Recommend you manual install", not "Recommend you sell your computer if you can't manual install"

Dayz wants me to download this program, so I figure I should and that I can trust it. If it can't be trusted, it should be removed. At least add a warning instead of a recommendation maybe.

First time I downloaded I got all the BS and six updater didn't even install. So no, choosing add on programs at setup is not the problem.

I bet you're using Internet explorer too aren't you?

If you had an adblock program, you wouldn't have this trouble. The God damn thing SAYS it is an advertisement.

http://i45.tinypic.com/285mvk.jpg

EDIT:

I think some of you are missing the point. What is the first thing it says when you click download?

" Six Updater Suite (Recommended)"

Not "Recommend you manual install"' date=' not "Recommend you sell your computer if you can't manual install"

Dayz wants me to download this program, so I figure I should and that I can trust it. If it can't be trusted, it should be removed. At least add a warning instead of a recommendation maybe.

First time I downloaded I got all the BS and six updater didn't even install. So no, choosing add on programs at setup is not the problem.

[/quote']

The problem is that you aren't internet savvy enough to know the difference between an advert and an actual bloody download link.

Who says that it's a malware? Your free Norton Antivirus?

Hahahahahahaha, This ^^

The problem here is that some users do not seem to be familiar with internet advertisements. So you people, you have to keep in mind that advertisements often try to trick you into clicking on them. Another thing, when you download a file, check what the file is called. If you download a file from those advertisements, then the file you download will NOT be called Six Updater but something completely different, so that should be a wake up call telling you that something is not right.

I've forwarded this to Sickboy, the guy who made Six Updater. But to be honest, I can't blame him if he decides not to do anything about it.

Falling victim to the 'ol big blue DOWNLOAD button :P

Unfortunately this type of this is very common, most sites now when you go to download a file have REALLY BIG DOWNLOAD HERE buttons....

And then halfway down the page on a text only link is the "actual" download you are at that page to get.

It's a low act, but everyone does it now, so best just to always be wary of any download link.

For the people who are still getting this problem. Make sure you do not click on an advertisement or you will download something completely different! You must click on an actual download link.

Hi, we do not control ad-content, it's automated by Google.

Also small chance malware is distributed by Google ads.. (Not to mention the many false-positives the "Security suites" of today seem to report)

Our software does not contain malware, adware or spyware.

If you installed some weird tools, then you didn't download the actual software.

People should be a bit more aware what they are clicking on, downloading and installing..

However we did improve the Download page to help make it more obvious.

Closing this thread as there is a SU troubleshooting thread already.

And more importantly; The official Six Updater support section.