Chicken_Train

Where/How to store loot?

Hey folks, played a lot of the mod, finally got standalone and I'm loving it so far.

As I see there are no tents yet, is there alternative to storing your loot right now ? Thanks.

Nope just in your clothes for now. I think we will see improved zombies and persistent storage before summer is over.

Yes, give BI and Dean more money for buying the mod on a second Steam Account. Log in from two different computers and hand your alter ego whatever you want to "store". 

Nothing practical though.

• Like 1

Yes, give BI and Dean more money for buying the mod on a second Steam Account. Log in from two different computers and hand your alter ego whatever you want to "store". 

Nothing practical though.

Ha ha I should my girlfriend's account for this, she's not interested in playing until release.

• Like 1

Hey folks, played a lot of the mod, finally got standalone and I'm loving it so far.

As I see there are no tents yet, is there alternative to storing your loot right now ? Thanks.

No tents currently in SA at the moment but they're well on their way.

Here's the roadmap for the development of DayZ. It should answer a lot of your questions of what to expect for the future of DayZ SA: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182275-dayz-at-rezzed-2014-dev-sessions-livestream-roadmap/

• Like 1

I am really curious to know what kind of loot you need storing that you can't hold on your body atm. There isn't exactly that much varied loot around, except for clothes. But I assume it isn't clothes you want storing.

• Like 1

I am really curious to know what kind of loot you need storing that you can't hold on your body atm. There isn't exactly that much varied loot around, except for clothes. But I assume it isn't clothes you want storing.

Well, considering he can only carry 2 main guns it might be that he wants an SKS, Mosin, Blaze, and M4 so he can play around with all of them after various patches? Maybe he just wants to stockpile 2-3 M4s instead of finding a second one and leaving it lay there? Maybe he doesn't want to carry around a ton of items in his backpack or only wants a small backpack.

I'm pretty sure he wants to stockpile ammo and guns and I could make a judgement on that... but I won't. 

• Like 2

This.

There isn't any reason to store anything yet. Partially because everything is readily available (this being an alpha). Likewise, there's no distinct high-end items which can be hoarded to good use.

Why would I go through the trouble of popping a tent, tracking down an M4, tracking down ammunition/magazines, and then store it... when the SKS/Mosin/AKM that I've already got as a primary, is just as good if not better.

Plus, (and this is related to the first bit) we don't have any reason to hoard survival supplies. Because they can all be readily found just on the move.

There's no advantage to storing something in a fixed position, yet.

Which might be WHY he wants to store things because tomorrow those things might not be as easily found. ;)

One followup question - I thought if I stashed stuff without logging out it will stay where I put unless someone grabs it.  Is that wrong?  I had thought server rests were the only issue.  I also thought if you died and came back you could grab your stuff from the stash location.  Yes/no?

One followup question - I thought if I stashed stuff without logging out it will stay where I put unless someone grabs it.  Is that wrong?  I had thought server rests were the only issue.  I also thought if you died and came back you could grab your stuff from the stash location.  Yes/no?

Yep, anything you put on the ground will stay there until it is either picked up by you or someone else, or until the server resets. Only things you need with you while looting is a loaded pistol, bandages, and storage items (clothes and backpack). This will also make you a lower value target, there are many players that will SOS a geared player without question, but let an unarmed "bambi" past.

Protip: Carry a change of clothes so you look like a bambi not just an easy target milguy.

This.

There isn't any reason to store anything yet. Partially because everything is readily available (this being an alpha). Likewise, there's no distinct high-end items which can be hoarded to good use.

Why would I go through the trouble of popping a tent, tracking down an M4, tracking down ammunition/magazines, and then store it... when the SKS/Mosin/AKM that I've already got as a primary, is just as good if not better.

Plus, (and this is related to the first bit) we don't have any reason to hoard survival supplies. Because they can all be readily found just on the move.

Really, one gun, one stone and a medikit take up most storage biggest backpack can carry. Then u have water container or few cans of food and there you go. Than you need sticks, gas containers, do you want me to go on? Not to mention how many times i dropped a handgun because i didnt have the right ammo for it, only to find the ammo in the next town. Besides many dont want to loose all their items, just because of a camping bandit or even a hacker. Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 1

Really, one gun, one stone and a medikit take up most storage biggest backpack can carry. Then u have water container or few cans of food and there you go. Than you need sticks, gas containers, do you want me to go on? Not to mention how many times i dropped a handgun because i didnt have the right ammo for it, only to find the ammo in the next town. Besides many dont want to loose all their items, just because of a camping bandit or even a hacker.

The largest backpack is 35 slots.

One pistol (without a holster), one stone and a medkit takes up 12 slots, just over one third of that space, not nearly most of it. Not to mention clothing with 2x2 slot capacity is very common- you could have a gun in your pants, medkit in your jacket, and a measly 4 slots taken up by your strange desire to carry rocks around Chernarus.

Few questions..

Why on earth are you carrying a stone? Is it something you use at least once every session you play? Or just something you carry so you can complain about not having enough inv. space?

What you you need sticks AND gas canister for? Gas can means you don't need sticks for a fire or vice versa. Also gas can is completely useless, and you can find sticks in ANY tree as long as you have an axe.

If you drop a gun then find ammo for it in the next town, why not backtrack to where you know there is a gun waiting for you?

For what it's worth, I never use anything bigger than the improv. backpack (20 slots, almost half the size of the "biggest pack in the game") and I've never had trouble carrying everything that I need with spares and extras and still leftover space for junk. With a bit more experience in the game you start to learn what is worth carrying and where you can trim fat/items that are so common they aren't worth carrying-> Like rocks, sticks, gas cans, etc

If you break a leg, which happens quite alot in dayz. Fire, etc . If your aim is to only pvp, no need for space, but if you wish to truly play this game for what it is ,survival, we need storage space.

• Like 1

create another steam account and buy second copy of DayZ. Smart people have done it since the beginning.

create another steam account and buy second copy of DayZ. Smart people have done it since the beginning.

Pls tell me this is a joke

If you break a leg, which happens quite alot in dayz. Fire, etc . If your aim is to only pvp, no need for space, but if you wish to truly play this game for what it is ,survival, we need storage space.

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I play PVE/friendly/hunter/survivor and often go weeks without contact from another player.

If you break a leg quite a lot, you're doing something wrong. In 185 hours I've broken my leg once, and again- you can find sticks in ANY tree as long as you have an axe. Which is something someone playing a survivor will be carrying.

If you wish to truly play this game for what it is, survival, then you wouldn't carry 200kgs of gear everywhere you went. To reiterate, you do NOT need as much as you think you need. You can get by just fine with an axe and a box of matches, everything else is fluff.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/185071-post-your-gear-so-far/page-43#entry2026434

BTW that's my loadout if you're having trouble believing that you can carry everything you need with space to spare.

Edited by zeeabo

Pls tell me this is a joke

No. If you are serious about the game and really like it, then buying another copy to store loot is very rational thing to do. Of course, when they add tents and when they start to work properly, then you can probably sell the second account to someone, or give it away to your friend/family member.

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I play PVE/friendly/hunter/survivor and often go weeks without contact from another player.

If you break a leg quite a lot, you're doing something wrong. In 185 hours I've broken my leg once, and again- you can find sticks in ANY tree as long as you have an axe. Which is something someone playing a survivor will be carrying.

If you wish to truly play this game for what it is, survival, then you wouldn't carry 200kgs of gear everywhere you went. To reiterate, you do NOT need as much as you think you need. You can get by just fine with an axe and a box of matches, everything else is fluff.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/185071-post-your-gear-so-far/page-43#entry2026434

BTW that's my loadout if you're having trouble believing that you can carry everything you need with space to spare.

So u are telling me you never had to throw away item just because you had no more room?

Yes gas bottles sticks etc are a waste of space, but I wish to try everything this game has to offer. Technically all you need is food, even water is available at ponds etc. but I want to try and see how everything works.

I wanted to try crossbow for a long time, but could never find both arrows and crossbow at the same time, always got rid of one or the other just because of space, not always do you come across big backpack, I'm an explorer, so I don't run to barracks, where you are 100% guaranteed to get weapons and 34 slot backpack, like most do. I'm happy with canned food melee weapon and a fire arm, but once I come across a fishing rod, I will have to make space for this item as I really want to try fishing, which you also need shovel to get worms I'm assuming.

So u are telling me you never had to throw away item just because you had no more room?

Nope, did it all the time back in the day. As stated before "With a bit more experience in the game you start to learn what is worth carrying and where you can trim fat/items that are so common they aren't worth carrying".

Yes gas bottles sticks etc are a waste of space, but I wish to try everything this game has to offer.

I agree and I feel the same way. But wanting to try everything the game has to offer doesn't mean you need to carry everything the game has to offer at once.

I wanted to try crossbow for a long time, but could never find both arrows and crossbow at the same time

This is a problem with loot availability, not inventory space. Also so you know you need bolts for the crossbow, arrows are for the improv. bow.

not always do you come across big backpack, I'm an explorer, so I don't run to barracks, where you are 100% guaranteed to get weapons and 34 slot backpack, like most do.

Completely irrelevant. I play the same way and acquired my gear over a significant number of hours. Where and how you choose to gear up has nothing to do with storage space. The pack I use is arguably the easiest in the game to obtain.

I'm happy with canned food melee weapon and a fire arm, but once I come across a fishing rod, I will have to make space for this item as I really want to try fishing, which you also need shovel to get worms I'm assuming.

Yes you need a shovel (or hoe) to get worms. No this doesn't mean you need to carry the shovel with you everywhere you go. Are you starting to get my point yet?

Edited by zeeabo

Nope, did it all the time back in the day. As stated before "With a bit more experience in the game you start to learn what is worth carrying and where you can trim fat/items that are so common they aren't worth carrying".

Yes gas bottles sticks etc are a waste of space, but I wish to try everything this game has to offer.

I agree and I feel the same way. But wanting to try everything the game has to offer doesn't mean you need to carry everything the game has to offer at once.

I wanted to try crossbow for a long time, but could never find both arrows and crossbow at the same time

This is a problem with loot availability, not inventory space. Also so you know you need bolts for the crossbow, arrows are for the improv. bow.

not always do you come across big backpack, I'm an explorer, so I don't run to barracks, where you are 100% guaranteed to get weapons and 34 slot backpack, like most do.

Completely irrelevant. I play the same way and acquired my gear over a significant number of hours. Where and how you choose to gear up has nothing to do with storage space. The pack I use is arguably the easiest in the game to obtain.

I'm happy with canned food melee weapon and a fire arm, but once I come across a fishing rod, I will have to make space for this item as I really want to try fishing, which you also need shovel to get worms I'm assuming.

Yes you need a shovel (or hoe) to get worms. No this doesn't mean you need to carry the shovel with you everywhere you go. Are you starting to get my point yet?

No i dont need a shovel with me all the time, you are right, they can be found just by looting few towns, however what happens if i get killed while looking for a shovel, i loose that bloody impossible to find fishing rod as well just because i couldnt store it somewhere, do you see my point?

I'm new in dayz, i find this inventory issue is a serious thing.

i have the ff: but still not enough for me.

largest backpack(larger than hunter's)

6 slot pants

6 slot shirt

10 slot vest

7 case protector.

but it seems its not enough, i want to fish and cook food but i cant, my medical, food, weapon, and tools are just enough for the current setup.

there are lots of houses,in chernarus and i imagine if one of those can be your permanent place where you can save loots and other stuff.

No i dont need a shovel with me all the time, you are right, they can be found just by looting few towns, however what happens if i get killed while looking for a shovel, i loose that bloody impossible to find fishing rod as well just because i couldnt store it somewhere, do you see my point?

I see your point, but there's a very easy fix for it- Don't get killed.

Be patient, and drop everything you don't NEED to carry into the town with you. (i.e. drop everything if all you're going in for is to look for a single tool) This will have two positive effects; You'll be a lower value target- If it looks like you have nothing but a torch and battery, there's significantly less chance you'll be SOS unless you're on the coast. And if thew worst happens and you are killed, your gear won't be ruined or stolen and you can get it back as long as you weren't silly enough to try all this 5 mins before a server reset.

Edited by zeeabo

I'm new in dayz, i find this inventory issue is a serious thing.

i have the ff: but still not enough for me.

largest backpack(larger than hunter's)

6 slot pants

6 slot shirt

10 slot vest

7 case protector.

but it seems its not enough, i want to fish and cook food but i cant, my medical, food, weapon, and tools are just enough for the current setup.

there are lots of houses,in chernarus and i imagine if one of those can be your permanent place where you can save loots and other stuff.

you are one of those people who carry all sorts of junk, from full useless medkits to duct tapes and tons of food. ----->>> secret advice ---->>>   You have to git gud.

Edited by MaxRain