Sign in to follow this  
Hymers

No more global chat?

Ok guys i havent played DayZ in a few weeks until todayand i just got sniped so i thought ide check out the forums and i cant find any post about the Global Chat, so was it removed completely? has it the option of being removed and only certain servers have it still?

I know some people didnt like the chat but without it the game seems so much less social and i find a lot of people now just open fire when you see someone without the option to ask if there friendly or not :-/ I know there is Direct chat but i heard thats for very short distances? so if you see someone through your Bincos or at the other end of town or a field it wont reach :huh:

So yeah can someone link me the patch notes where it was taken away or give me some general info??

Much appriciated ;)

Hymers

i agree with your thoughts. it was removed with the arma2 beta patches. hopefully rocket will allow server owners to enable it if they want to. i've tried in several threads to have rocket comment on it, so far no luck.

I would love seeing side chat coming back fact is the the community really needs it to communicate and team up with others and new player need it to find out new stuff about the game and get quick help for whenever they have any questions.

I remember when i still was a new player I always asked my questions in sidechat and got so much help from people. And I wish to return the favor and help other new players too now when I'm abit more experienced in the game.

Also want to share a story that happend to me some days ago. I was near Stary sobor sniping from the hill into the military camp and I see two survivors that I try to make contact with by talking in direct chat with my mic from roughly 100-150 m distance which is still close but safe from getting shot.

I got no respond so i typed in the chat instead while going abit closer but, still no response. I had no idea if they actually heard me or direct chat just have ridicelous short range but, it all ended with me putting 2 bullet into their heads because I didnt want to risk it by going into the tent to ask if they are friendly with the sick loot I had lol.

So I really +1 sidechat to come back and i hope rocket sees this because if i had sidechat at that time i could still be on a safe distance and ask if they we're friendly. If they then said yes and i got shot afterwards that is on a complete different level because i did not risk getting shot because i was stupid enough to ask them on 10m distance but from 150. :)

Im glad im not the only one who would like to see the Side Chat / Global Chat come back indeed, it helped me a LOT when i first started playing too, i dont even know why it was removed :-/ surely more people liked it then hated it. Hopefulyl Rocket does see this post and we get an answer from him would be great to get some info :rolleyes:

Anyone elts want the chat back? or even like the chat removed give your reasons why :)

Most people want to see it gone because its not realistic that you can communicate with so many people from that far distances without a radio of some kind.

But, I just think this is stupid I wonder if same people wanna see their character take a shit in game, and see them sleep for 5 hours every night and stuff like that.

Sure this game is all about realism but, then again there is a limit on how realistic stuff have to be. I mean it is still a game after all and without a global communication tool it will hurt the community by all means.

Agreed. Hell if people find communication un realistic or what not have the player spawn with radio and then you can just say ..its radio coms lol :P

I mean if poeple dont want it fine surely Rocket could insert a toggle option for certain servers with it on or off. But i heard DayZ is to become a MMO (may be wrong just on a YouTube video :P ) but an MMO without a global chat / side chat... :-/

Now many servers and players are using 3rd party VOIP programs, like TeamSpeak, to communicate. It's like having global chat, but with the need to run additional programs and hardware :/

It was dumb removing this before adding radios of some sort.

It was a nice experiment, but IMO, the result didn't add anything to the game.

Yes it would be much simplier to just allow admins of any server to have it on or off. Instead of having that simple server option they now have to setup a VOIP program to allow some kind of teamplay on their servers. :/

I think this is very bad for the community and not very fair for the people that actually enjoyed the social bit with side chat enabled while running around the woods and had something to look at. And to meet new friends to team-up with etc.

For myself I turned semi-bandit-mode after side chat were removed. Now whenever i know i cant ask on safe distance and if people I see is friendly or not I just shoot them on sight.

Just because fact is it is way more risky to ask questions first on 10 m distance and most likely get shot... then shoot first and not regret it later. :p

Side chat needs to come back one way or another or this wont end very well.

It was a nice experiment to remove it completely like you said but it's just not gonna work out in the long run.

Good point there is many Team Speak, Skype etc.. voice chat systems but for those people whos friends are offline or at work/school or just dont have a mic the Side Chat / Global Chat was a great "plan B" if you will :P

But like i said beofre i see many players now just attack other without the option to ask them if there friendly. Im all up for some PvP :P but not 100% of the player base is hostile and sometimes you want to team up and have some fun, i feel without a chat system its very hard / imposible to do now :(

Thanks for the feedback everyone hope they keep coming :shy:

Yes it would be much simplier to just allow admins of any server to have it on or off. Instead of having that simple server option they now have to setup a VOIP program to allow some kind of teamplay on their servers. :/

I think this is very bad for the community and not very fair for the people that actually enjoyed the social bit with side chat enabled while running around the woods and had something to look at. And to meet new friends to team-up with etc.

For myself I turned semi-bandit-mode after side chat were removed. Now whenever i know i cant ask on safe distance and if people I see is friendly or not I just shoot them on sight.

Just because fact is it is way more risky to ask questions first on 10 m distance and most likely get shot... then shoot first and not regret it later. :p

Side chat needs to come back one way or another or this wont end very well.

It was a nice experiment to remove it completely like you said but it's just not gonna work out in the long run.

It seems we share the exact same play style / view Wrathful haha lets hope we get some answers from Rocket or other players :shy:

Our server has Side chat ON!

Join us Seattle 61

Oh really? ill be sure to check that server out then :) Are you an admin for your server by any chance? or do you know if admins have the option to keep the Side Chat on/off? as this is the first server ive heard of now with the Side Chat enabled :P

I'm finding the game to be alot more dull w/o sidechat :/

Its almost like playing a SP/COOP 2man game, You don't build any community on the servers even if there are the same guys playing on it.

Say i found a guy i liked to play with, how am i supposed to do it again? I would then need a 3rd party program to keep in touch with him instead of just going "Meet me at X".

I think not having the sidechat just takes away from the game, I don't care if someone spam "Friendly in cherno" I just find it fun and gives alot more depth that stuff is going on outside of your little bubble.

Are there any European servers that have side-chat enabled? I played on one last week that did, but never noted the name of the server.

I find it a little dull without side chat too.

Agreed. The servers and gameplay is very dull without the Side Chat i think it gives the game more of a community feel as well and like someone previously said not like your playing a Single Player game with AI.

And yeah if there is any European servers that have Side Chat please list them in this post it would be greatly appreicated

All i know of at the moment with Side Chat is "Seattle 61" and thats a US server if im not mistaken :)

Again thanks for the comments guys keep them comming lets hope Rocket sees this thread! :)

Hymers

Apparently I'm the only one who disliked side chat, it really distracts from the game.

Apparently I'm the only one who disliked side chat' date=' it really distracts from the game.

[/quote']

I don't see how the Side Chat would of distracted you from the game myself, share your views? :shy:

As a new player (got the game last week!) I'd like to see it come back. I started after 1.7.1, so I never got to see what the game was like with massive global chat active. It's made it difficult to interact with other players on a non-bandit level. I was heading through Elektro after having recently spawned (my first mistake, amirite?) and got caught by a guy on a rooftop I'd recently cleared. He took out another player that had just made radio contact with me, and the player cursed me out after he'd died. I tried to defend myself after running away, but ended up with a bullet in my head. I wished I could have talked with the other dead player about it. Hell, I wouldn't have minded if I saw the bandit lolling it up in the chat bar. I just wanted to have some feedback aside from my feeling of "...what the hell just happened?"

I feel like putting the global chat feature would help new players like myself incredibly. Being able to talk to that other survivor would have allowed me to at least explain what had happened. It could have lead us to get together to try and survive. And it probably would have driven it home more the fact that bandits are more common than you think. Just my two cents.

The removal of global chat was not Rocket's choice, but was a result of an update to Arma 2 itself. Rocket has said there are plans for radios and other methods of global communication, but right now we're in a gap between the old sidechat and any new mechanics introduced to replace it.

It was dumb removing this before adding radios of some sort.

It was a nice experiment' date=' but IMO, the result didn't add anything to the game.

[/quote']

I agree that there should be some sort of compromise between direct chat and global, but while the new system of communication is being worked on I would rather have no global chat at all.

Having said that, direct communication is pretty much useless. The only time I've ever used it with success was to talk to someone at the bottom of a stairwell(while i was at the top), he was literally 5ft away from me but below so no LOS.

Apart from those very unique situations direct communication is useless.

I think a good distance for direct chat would be about as far as a gunshot can be heard. Maybe a little less. And having radio's with multiple channels would be sweet for global communication. Would also be interesting to see how the different channels become used and how long before a standard is used naturally, channel 1 for trolls 2 for help 3 for bandits etc, or even different channels for different areas of the map all decided by the players. Would introduce some interesting new meta game.

When global was still a thing, I used to find a really nice sniping spot and say "has anyone been to X location? is it worth going there?"

Then 5 minutes later say "aww sweet I just found NV goggles!!" within ten minutes the place is crawling with bandits, its like a turkey shoot. Would be nice to be able to do that again.

Sorry for long post.