IReadTheAgreement

Being friendly finally paid off

if they had guns you would of shot them both. It's only because they were bambi you tried it. I've done the same. Unless someones gun is put away BEFORE you find them or they are bambi they are NOT friendly. Even then its 50-50  there is no incentive to be friendly to someone with no gear generally as they have nothing to lose and all to gain and i think virtually most of dayz playerbase feels this way. If you want friendly encounters then go full bambi and run around and talk to people. If you gear up expect a shoot out =/

Only time I am friendly is as a fresh spawn and I still die that way. For that reason, I don't risk it when I am fully geared.

There is a series on YouTube where a geared person sets up on the street handcuffed with friends hidden around for protection. When someone comes along, they ask for help and they could either take the Magnum and shoot with the 1 bullet or take the handcuff keys and unlock him. In one of the episodes, he gave a friendly fresh spawn some gear for helping.

Here's a (compressed) story for you guys,

A while back when I used to actively look for people to help, ('bout 2 months ago, max 4) I was sprinting down the coast and eventually found one armed player, fully geared, as was I. Thankfully there was a wall between us, so when I saw him I said, "Listen buddy, I mean no harm. I'm putting my gun on my back." and he did the same and came across the wall. He said he was meeting up with his friend and I gave his friend a spare can-opener I had (who was a freshie) and gave the geared guy some .45 rounds. In turn they gave me a Pristine PU scope for the SkS I had.

Fast forward 15 min, a guy with a B95 tried to kill me in Elektro from the firestation. Ruined pants but alive, went to a random ass house where I managed to evade him just across from the hospital, hearing some footsteps, I ready myself for the worst, though no one enters. After going out, I find him in the second floor window of the hospital, thanks to the Pu scope on the SkS I nailed a perfect headshot.

So being friendly that day, is what nailed me a kill on some random KoS dickbag c: didn't have my gun out or anything, just wanted me dead.

I have played all styles, and while I enjoy banditry often, I'm usually more of a friendly player.  Anyone that's played that style for a bit knows it's not exactly the route paved with gold.  Except for the two guys I ran into today.  I met them at the town hall in Novo.  Just happened to run into them while I was running through the city.  Neither of them had a gun on their backs, but one had an axe.  Anyway they told me that a couple of players had just been shooting at them by the bus station and since I had an SKS I offered to help them take those players out if they led the way.  Once we got their one of them yelled "I see one!" so I pulled out the SKS and ran to a wall for cover.  We were scoping the area out when the one that said he say someone said that he must have been mistaken so I put my gun away.  That's when they both told me to follow them down to the stream across from the bus station.  They explained to me that they were trying out an experiment and since I was actually a friendly player that I'd won a prize.  Floating on top of the stream were 3 full plastic containers full of medical supplies and food, and a hunting backpack with a 75rd drum for the AKM, 200 7.62x39mm rounds, and 2 full canteens.  After giving me all that they said there was more under the water.  Then they gave me an AKM with all the attachments, and a black high capacity vest full of more ammo.  Best part about the whole thing was every single item I listed that they gave me was in pristine condition.

I made sure to ask them why they had been so trusting that I actually was friendly.  They told me they didn't trust me until the end.  That's when one pulled out an MP5 from his backpack and the other pulled out a FNX from his jacket.  We laughed about it then we said our pleasantries and parted ways.

Today it paid to be friendly.

You lucky ass

Here's a (compressed) story for you guys,

A while back when I used to actively look for people to help, ('bout 2 months ago, max 4) I was sprinting down the coast and eventually found one armed player, fully geared, as was I. Thankfully there was a wall between us, so when I saw him I said, "Listen buddy, I mean no harm. I'm putting my gun on my back." and he did the same and came across the wall. He said he was meeting up with his friend and I gave his friend a spare can-opener I had (who was a freshie) and gave the geared guy some .45 rounds. In turn they gave me a Pristine PU scope for the SkS I had.

Fast forward 15 min, a guy with a B95 tried to kill me in Elektro from the firestation. Ruined pants but alive, went to a random ass house where I managed to evade him just across from the hospital, hearing some footsteps, I ready myself for the worst, though no one enters. After going out, I find him in the second floor window of the hospital, thanks to the Pu scope on the SkS I nailed a perfect headshot.

So being friendly that day, is what nailed me a kill on some random KoS dickbag c: didn't have my gun out or anything, just wanted me dead.

Meh.

Sure if you lead the coastal life then why not you can be 'friendly' because in case you die you not going anywhere anyway.

As I said in other thread, I find it very amusing that friendly player's characters never live longer then 3 in game hours.

• Like 1

Meh.

Sure if you lead the coastal life then why not you can be 'friendly' because in case you die you not going anywhere anyway.

As I said in other thread, I find it very amusing that friendly player's characters never live longer then 3 in game hours.

This was a few months ago and I was fully geared up, sadly the human element in me gets a bit attached to it. This character lasted about, what? A month or so. Remember what I said, there's a difference between smart-friendly and stupid friendly, buddy :3

Another time I wilfully got into a fight at the NWAF because I was so bored of having the same character for about 2~months+ that I just wanted to die in a firey blaze to be able to see what all the new stuff was (Around the time the wool coats became new)

This way of thinking speaks volumes about you my friend. I guess you are the kind of person who walks the city shouting "go get a job ya bum" and cuts in line when nobody's looking?

Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, people play friendly because they enjoy being friendly rather than just another arsehole? That making friends is a reward in and of itself to those of us that aren't closet sociopaths?

You don't need a reason to be friendly to strangers in the game or in life, it's just kind of something that comes naturally to people that aren't f*n c*ts.

Wrong attribution.

Look, yesterday someone stormed my building. He kind of bumped into me, he was armed to the teeth but he said he needed help. I put my gun down and we talked, apparently he had food poisoning (his name was bear gylls.. he tried eating raw meat..like bear gylls does :D ) and I could advice him to drink so much water until he vormits. It worked at first but the foodpoisoning was too long ago already so it entered his bloodstream and we needed charcoal. That said: We had something to do, we had a task at hand, trying to save his life fighting the sickness and I could actually help him without supplies by just providing the knowledge about the vormiting and a nearby well. 

If your friendlyness is not experienced as being effective, people will stop doing it. People are opportunists and the psychological reward of accomplishment can be achieved by being friendly, but you need an opportunity for your help to feel effective...like helping someone poisoned. But you and I know that no experienced player will ever get foodpoisoned, thus the opportunity for helpful behaviour is diminished, This may change once they reintroduce true sicknesses and viruses.

------------

Note that before this friendly encounter I killed 3 people with headshots and took their shit. I was low on equipment and having a team of 3 potentially hostile guys around is too risky. In my defense: they wore gasmasks (= KILL THE MASKS!)

Note also that I recently neglected this rule, was feeling to good with my MP5k and shitloads of mags for it, found someone, he said he was friendly. He didn't harm me, but he went to the well and drank something, i covered him. We talked shortly before that, he said his english was bad. I asked if he was french, he said yes. I told him I'm german. Anyway, then when I drank from the well, he headshotted me and told me how he hates germans. I never really trusted him because he seemed overexicted about my weapon and I wanted to bait him...i just forgot you can't cancel the drinking animation >.<

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 1

I had spawned in the west side of Electro (this is going back a while ago) and was running into town. Spotted a guy with a mosin geared to the nipples and in front of him was a bambi on his knees - handcuffed.

I decided I had nothing to lose so set about a plan to help the bambi.

After a little bit watching, waiting for the opportune moment - I ran out full sprint.

The mosin guy had his back to me and I ran up and KO'd him. I quickly took his gun and as I was about to pull the trigger I heard "it was a test". It was too late though as it only registered after I applied pressure to my people killing LMB.

I asked about the bambi but it wasn't a test, the guy was using it to avoid being killed. I searched through his loot and couldn't find keys so I apologised to the bambi and told him how to get out. I took the geared guys mosin and his assault vest and left the rest for the bambi when he eventually got freed (including an axe).

Died not so long after which then began my next story

It's quite long so i've hidden it - I have also provided a tl;dr at the bottom :)

Beware of a long read - needed to build up the base. For the attention-span deficient amongst us, there is a tl;dr at the bottom.

I was a baby faced new spawn who emerged from the DayZ womb on the island at Kamyshovo.

I was relatively close to logging off so I thought I would chance my hand in Electro, running down the main street straight to the west fire station area.

By the time I got as far as the church I witnessed a bandit - before you ask, if you have a gun in Electro you are most likely a bandit - face off. A mosin and SKS at the back of firestation versus (at least) two m4 guys in the house above firestation.

I watched as they exchanged a host of shots. It didn't take long before one of them fell. Mosin man had went for a dirt nap while his friend had bolted round the back (presumably into cover at the back or in the fire station).

As I was a bambi, I decided to grab a quick last burst of enjoyment before hopefully spawning somewhere where I had a chance for my next life. Using the age-old "eeny meeny" technique, I sided with the most likely victors, the m4 guys.

I ran behind the house across from fire station and entered the bottom floor where I heard panic movement as they realised someone was in there. I shouted down comms "I'm a bambi, I'm going to help you and go distract the snipers". No sooner had the last word rolled off my tongue I was fist sprinting to behind the firestation going left and round the back.

I had seen SKS guys fallen comrade but avoided the body in case SKS was near. Peaked around the corner but to my surprise he was nowhere to be seen. He had either logged or managed to get to roof without being put down.

I grabbed all the loot I could from Mosin man (complete with pristine PU scope) when I heard a shot from an SKS just meters away. I checked myself (before I wrecked myself) and hugged the wall. I had deduced that SKS man was hiding in the corner on the east side of the building attempting to make his escape by keeping the M4 guys' heads down.

Double checked there was at least 1 in the mosin and I slowly stepped out, SKS guy was running towards me, oblivious to my presence, takes one shot to the shoulder from myself and ducks back into the corner. A quick step in and one in the neck puts him down.

Quickly loot and get out of there, in case M4 guys seeing my in the Mosin mans attire, decide to fire.

I run to the well on the east side of the town to top up as I'm parched and church well is too risky with all the shots being fired.

Meet a bambi who instantly surrenders despite my friendly presence (waving gesture etc). Hear gunfire and decide to take him with me as he is likely to get shot and I was a bambi just 10 minutes prior so I still had a warm heart in my body.

Someone else near hospital with M4 battling with someone else, decide to dodge out of the way and not interact. I was going to take bambi to get the SKS guys body so he can have some loot and I could set him free in the wild.

Suddenly another explosion of M4 fire at the building across from firestation, as I was geared and had a buddy now, I decided to check it out together.

As I was running down on the street behind getting a look at what was going on I was approached by a better clothed bambi with a blaze and a cowboy hat. He shouted he was friendly and said that he needed rounds for his gun to defend himself.

I gave him rounds without a hesitation as there was a lot going on and pushed up a little bit. I turned around to see the first bambi by my side but the cowboy had gone, assuming he had pushed round church for a look and as I was wary of the M4 fire sounding closer I began scoping out fire tower when I heard a shot and fade to black.

Assuming that I had been bested by a long range sniper dotted anywhere in the map I wasn't too bothered.

Up pops a message in the corner "_____ has added you as a friend", I accept (I'm a TF2 trader so friend requests often and plenty are nothing new). Turns out it was the bambi who was with me who said the guy I gave rounds to shot me in the back, he had picked up my axe and tried to kill him but he got put down by my assailant.

Me and the bambi teamed up and played a little longer.

TL;DR

Helped bandits kill bandits and took the spoils and ran.

Looked after bambi

Help another somewhat bambi with a blaze93 without ammo

Attempt to kill some bandits

Shot in back by armed bambi

( T_T )