slipperyminx

Hawks as companion animals

With the prospect of future "Advanced Animal" integration, I think Hawks would be a great Animal to have as a Companion.

You can use the Hawk to scout out areas, and give enemy positions away. I've thought about being able to take control of the Hawk to do you own flying, but I feel that isn't exactly realistic; even though D.Hall says that the game is in the middle ground of realistic and game), so maybe the Hawk can have these abilities as AI? and you have to watch where it goes, or have it return and give you some sort "sign" of how many players it sees; ie, it'll quietly talk and each time it talks represents how many players it sees; maybe to throw the player off a little, those "talleys" can be animals and players.

The way I see it, is that you have to train the Hawk first, ie as a hatchling and raise by keeping warm (as an egg and baby) and hunt other animals to feed it. How'd you train it for identifying other players without being shot? I'm not sure; maybe that's too much realism XD,) and so maybe it's controlled by AI.

Another issue is, telling the bird where to go and how far, and when to come back. I haven't thought of this much, this was really spur the moment.

I personally can't see this working out in DayZ.

Edited by Plexico
  • Like 2

Yeah we should get UAVs and Arty Strikes as well!

Big Mike:*holds up leather glove* "Alright 'Io Kai, tell me where the bandits are!"

'Io Kai: *lands on glove* "CAW!"

Big Mike: "...Did not think this through..."

Bandit 1 of 12: "I saw it go this way over the hill."

Big Mike: "Well...fuck..."

'Io Kai: *flies off after a rabbit, never to be seen again*

And you're pulling all this falconing experience out of what orifice of yours now?

I like the idea of having a companion hawk, but some of the suggestions thereafter don't make much sense.

Hawks should be able to retrieve small game such as rabbits and birds (chickens) and additionally hunt them on their own.

They could also be trained to warn you when there are other humans around, but the best you can hope for to train it to do, would be to circle above the threat and give out  a warning cry. 

This could work if attaching a small camera to the hawk. Kinda like an UAV.

Would sure be interesting :P

This could work if attaching a small camera to the hawk. Kinda like an UAV.

Would sure be interesting :P

Yeah, you got me there, but from the looks of this world I don't think they had security cams in the supermarkets or gas stations.  :rolleyes:

Still having companion animals like dogs and hawks help you survive and warn you when there is a threat is a great idea.

Big Mike:*holds up leather glove* "Alright 'Io Kai, tell me where the bandits are!"

'Io Kai: *lands on glove* "CAW!"

Big Mike: "...Did not think this through..."

Bandit 1 of 12: "I saw it go this way over the hill."

Big Mike: "Well...fuck..."

'Io Kai: *flies off after a rabbit, never to be seen again*

And you're pulling all this falconing experience out of what orifice of yours now?

Yeah, this. It's bad enough that we can work all the guns and stuff perfectly with no explanation falconing would be a bit too much.

I'd love a parrot though, one that does absolutely nothing but sometimes give my position away, it would be hilarious.

I think when they say companion animalS they probably just mean various dogs, any idiot could befriend them.

What other animals would even realistically be plausible?