joe_mcentire

different stages for craftable objects - proper workflows with proper time consumption

what i want to do:

adding several different stages for craftable objects - proper workflows with proper time consumption.

a simple example to start with: to craft a bow you enter the inventory to drag an ashwood stick onto a rope or vice versa and select the proper option et voila you now have a proper bow. bland and boring if you'd ask me. not really worthy of a true survival game

how i think it could be done - Part I: the basic considerations:

the idea is now rather similar to how we consume goods already ingame. you can eat/drink your rations in portions or everything at once. everything takes a defined amount of time providing a proper trade-off between being vulnerable for the amount of time or/and gathering needed energy to stay healthy.

how i think it could be done - Part II: the idea:

How can we use this idea now with crafting? back again to our initial example: the bow. You can craft now a bow in X stages. By selecting craft bow you start an (i'd suggest - at least for a while - generic) animation that indicates that you're about to craft something. Now let's say to finish your piece of work you need Y seconds.

So if you let your char finish the whole crafting procedure you shall be rewarded with a fully functional bow. However interrupting the procedure can leave your work only partly finished - it remains in a certain stage of the acual workflow. (let's just say Y/X seconds to jump to or remain in a stage.)

what i would like to achieve:

• give time and time we spend on objectives more value, more weight...
  • ...which also leads to a deeper and more rewarding crafting-experience...
  • ...and overall again to a slower pace of gameplay...
  • ...and an imho better survival experience.

anything left to say?

yes! you would have several options and could build on such a system. some examples:

• you could deconstruct certain objects to get seperate fully functional pieces of loot until you haven't reached a "certain" stage of "no going back".
  • You (the devs) could experiment with longer times to refine the crafting ingame: improvised weapons/objects would become much more of a reward and objects of (personal) value
  • not fully developed (finished) objects could still be usable but wouldn't work quite properly or have distinctive drawbacks, might even be harmful if the player is unaware of the current state/stage of the developed piece of work
  • certain loot and objects need to be added at certain stages to add correct workflows for certain tasks to the game. you need to remember them or use your notes.
  • etc.

So please, share your opinions with me and...
Cheers!

In addition:
also consider this thread (reddit):"it's about time" - or why we should give "time" more weight, also with Rocket giving a good explanation why "time" is quite a problem within the realm of MMOs.

Edited by joe_mcentire

actually couldn't find a thread somewhat similar to this one, so i guess i am fine...

i will try to bring a bit more elaborated examples.

edit: one quick idea - what if we would provide more 1pp servers than 3pp at least on experimental?

Edited by joe_mcentire

my new year's resolution: give more time!

the whole hermit/makeshift lifestyle can only benefit from such a mechanic.

Edited by joe_mcentire