Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Chem

DayZ Playstyles

Hey guys, I'm just curious to know how you play DayZ. Not only as in tactics, or simply bandit, hero or neutral. I want to know what your priorities are when you are playing, your goals, and also the other things (tactics, karma).

I'm curious because of the reaction I got for saying that I wasn't fond of the NEAF change. Some people reacted as if I was a noob trying to get loot quick but in reality it is because when I play, my priorities are set on people, I'm not wanting to kos but I just like to have an unpredictable situation and I felt Northeast had the quickest access to that.

I play like a hermit on lower population servers because you know... I actually like finding loot that isn't rotten fruit. I generally do runs to Balota, then go northward to NWAF and drop in all military stops along the way. If I die at NWAF so be it, restart the run. If I survive I got to a higher population server to seek out a deathmatch with any strangers I come across. 

When loot eventually respawns I will go on high pop servers for more intense encounters and feelings in general.

I play mostly solo, (or start out atleast) putting emphasis firstly on survival. Sometimes i take the road less traveled, sometimes i head straight to biggest town, depends on the mood.
When i have gathered sufficient gear and a decent gun, so i can survive and defend myself, i usually change my playstyle. I become curious. I'll head out looking to make contact. I'll try to meet as many players i can, help them out if i can/they need/accept help and generally interact with people, while trying to survive them.

Most times i end up playing with one or more total strangers that keep living or end up dead by the time i log out for the night.
Most of these people i've never heard again. Some i've met months after and some remember, some have no idea. =)

I play for the people. All the different kinds of people.

Edit:

I do believe in karma so i try to refrain from being a douchebag at all costs. It also means that ingame i try to get rid of as many douchebags as i can. The definition of Douchebag is subject to change.

One weird thing i've noticed is that when you team up with the first random dude, every random loner from that point on seems to be gland to team up aswell. From there on, even the more agressive loners adapt to the group and become friedly to the next stranger, so i find it weird when people post all these topics about only meeting assholes in game. Usually the ragtag bunch ends up having a good time. This doesn't apply to any other group thou. When you meet another group with more then one people, it's usually imminent firefight. That i find quite odd aswell. I guess it has to do with some basic pack mentality or something like that. =) All in all. Best game i ever played. (The mod + SA)

Edited by Intactus

Hero.i was in the mod and  now at standalone too, holding up people is much more enjoyable than killing everything that moves. I played that style  long time ago,but it got very boring. With less encounters and high risk is much more fun and you get  that nice  adrenalin rush.Hoping there will be viable Endgame instead of just deathmatch.

• Like 1

(tactics, karma).

dmkCnUI.jpg

I was trying to ambush some sniper on sniper hill of NWAF whole Friday night and Saturnday afternoon and nothing not a living soul.

So I moved inside the airfield and mare 2 hours later I spot sniper on the sniper hill :S

I play as if it is the apocalypse (surprise surprise guys this is an apocalyptic game, not call of duty). That means i see killing players stupid unless absolutely necessary. The way i see it, humanity is on the brink of extinction. So i talk to people. Trade with them for items, info. Sometimes they end up joining our group.

I kill bandits because they are scum (yet to encounter real bandits that hold you up).

hunting hoppers / tracking people unnoticed / bullets start to fly..

I just avoid the bean wars that rage in the cities unless in a group / fresh spawn.

I play solo and spend most my time up in the NWAF area but will venture as far as Svelto or Zelengorsk if my task leads me there.

My aim is to outlive anyone by any means....Over 200 hours alive on this toon. 

That said I am regularly on loot runs & impose upon myself challenges. Something is always broken or there are new items I want to try. I have kitted out every gun in the game so far...most of them I have tossed with full pristine everything in some field when I was done with em ;)

When not looking for gear I hunt others. Preferably at night in my night set. Since most at night play with gamma up I do to but even with gamma up there are areas with dark patches. When dressed all in black they do not see me and unbeknownst to them I follow them. During this time I judge them as players. Sometimes I learn something by watching others. Most the time though it is some idiot who takes 10 mins to loot a fire station cause he is constantly playing inventory tetris...Occasionally if I am in a safe area i will fire a shot at them to see how they react....most will run and log off...couple times I have done it when people were swapping their mountain backpacks for hunter packs and they left their backpack there full of loot and left with the new one ROFL...

Occasionally I killl them if I can track them to where they log off in the woods (safely they think). This is normally if I watch them kill someone else. I dull out judgement and to their surprise when they log in their a fresh spawn (i bet most just think the game screwed them over ;)) 

Here is my mantra:

1. Avoid all people

2. If I spot someone and am close enough that they may notice me soon I will call out friendly...if they do not answer they die

3. Stake out every major city before venturing in. Circle it 1-2 times and check for signs of other players

4. Better to skip looting an area/building and live then to risk it and lose everything

5. log off 10-15 mins away from any sort of civilization

6. Never not be fully energized/hydrated 

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

I wonder aimlessly around looking for food and drink and tools I can use (Pickaxe, axe and machette) a bag to carry it all and I try to insure that I always stay healthy. when it comes to weapons I just find something that works just incase I need to defend my self. But usually I like to play it as a survival game. Build a home in the woods, and defend it if need be.

I play alone, I have no friends! I wander the map, north, south, east and west.

I help if I see someone who needs it (not often) and generally I get KoS'd by players who are cowards as I nearly always get shot in the back.

I play on one of 3 servers and I always log off in remote little hamlets. I enjoy my beans and tac, burp when I drink to much of the fizzy cans, am yet to master hunting or making fires and usually end up tripping over my own 2 left feet only to get up off of the ground being pummeled by zombies.

That's how I roll, downhill with legs and arms flailing.

Edited by alferret
  • Like 1

I play as a lone wolf and generally try to avoid people.

Paradoxically whenever I actually want to seek out interaction I don't find any...

I'm quite neutral. I do enjoy the hero play style, and I've never killed on sight, but I'm no 'DO NO HARM' person - I will shoot someone if I have a damn good reason to.

My favorite thing to do so far is place a radio in the town square of cities, then get a high point so I can see it with Binoculars (Svetlojarsk is perfect). Then I wait until someone approaches the town square and talk to them from the Radio. Their initial reaction is hilarious because they think someone's actually there beside them. I then lead them up to me after telling them to pick up the radio, and we become survival buddies until the goddamn server restart (I HATE YOU SERVER RESTARTS).

So many wasted opportunities because of server restarts...

Also, this was my 666th post. Yay.

Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 1

I play myself as an aggressive survivor. I go around looting, and try to get whatever gun or gear that is on my mind or what something that I "prefer" at that moment. I will explore around and play around in the forest, but if someone gets in my way while I'm looting at a base, then chances are I will kill them. I most likely will kill first because either they look like they would shoot first too and I can't trust people. I might only spare people if they tell me they are friendly, and put the gun away.