saamohod

These sounds make me paranoid

Hi! My first post on these forums. Hello to bandits, heroes and just survivors.

A question about an issue that has been freaking me and my friends out.

When in game, we keep hearing seemingly distant sounds of can opening ("pssst") and coins tinkle. Are these sounds generic ambient sounds or do they actually indicate presence of other players in the area?

Knowledgeable people please answer and save our nerves. ))

Edited by saamohod
  • Like 2

It may indicate someone is nearby, but more than likely it's just a bug. I remember this kind of thing tended to happen in higher populated servers. Don't stress too much, but take caution. Good luck

I haven't experienced those sounds as a bug since a few patches ago. I was on a 2/40 server when I heard some ammo jingle, figured it was a bug, two seconds later, met somebody.

Be on alert when you hear it.

I haven't experienced those sounds as a bug since a few patches ago. I was on a 2/40 server when I heard some ammo jingle, figured it was a bug, two seconds later, met somebody.

Be on alert when you hear it.

I heard that in a military jail at NWAF, I was on the ground floor and could have sworn it came from upstairs, I checked the office and was thinking about sneaking up the stairs when the server reset.  Probably saved my life.

The can opening is an ambient noise which shouldn't be. I hear it all the time. I still go on full alert when I hear it though, just in case.

I also hear zombie grunts as ambient noises too. I was running to elektro the other day on my own and heard it the whole way. I even stopped for a couple of minutes to see if one was chasing me. Nothing. Heard it right until I logged out in the fields by Ctapoe.

Edited by tom0311

It's a sound bug and I am getting used to it.

After a while you know that this there is no other player or zombie making this noise.

But I am still hopeful that they will fix these buggy sounds.

I'm hearing those sounds as well. While at first they drove me pretty mad, it is easy to distinguish most of them from the real thing. Zombie noises that are cut off are nothing 90% of the time. A real zombie will make the whole noise. The can opening as well, you only hear it opening but you don't hear someone drinking - ergo, nobody there. It's another thing with the tinkling sound though, I think it sounds like it does when I pick up loose ammo but I'm not sure if I could actually hear it if someone else did that.

It's pretty unnerving to be sure. I've died a couple of times due to dismissing sounds as bugs. I think though that some of the phantom zombie sounds are zombies that have fallen thru the terrain and are chasing you 'underground' some are just too persistent to be random bugs. It makes sense, considering how zombies fall thru building terrain all the time.

jip is a sound bug and cost all my nerves .....  fjhjkfgjksjhfgk fuck raise weapon look , hear  nothing ....  jgdfhgudhgkjx   fuck raise weapon looking around  nothing .......     gnark ^^

It takes practice and time to get used to it. After having logged ~600 hours I've gotten to the point that I can tune out the fake sounds from the real ones. The fake sounds are generally cut off, kind of half of the real audio file. The real ones are the whole thing. I have heard rumors that the random sounds are from other people, on the server, however. Always, ALWAYS be careful, however.

also the "gate-opening" scared the shit out of me when i was at the mil. base near vybor in my early days of dayz :D

sat at least for 30 minutes upstairs the camo-building and aimed at the stairs.

but nothing came up.

however there were even more "gate-opening" sounds, and "can-opening sounds" etc.

• Like 1

This is my 2nd biggest issue with the game. This, and zombies that are invisible & the fact that zombies have noclip. Are they even aware of the noclip zeds?

• Like 1

Yeah I hear ammo jingles, reloading, cans opening and fence gates. I do seem to hear less and less each patch.