Sign in to follow this  
Street Elite

Methods of Response

Hello. I decided to create this to give new players primarily a rational and strategic way of meeting new people. As most new players know, KOS is abundant in this game and douche bags are a will-find. Socializing in DayZ is a key part of the game and its atmosphere, so as an experienced player, I want to share what I feel is the correct way to approach other survivors, and different styles of doing so.

Method 1: The Methodical Approach

The Methodical Approach is the most lengthy but effective way of approaching a player. This method should be used on survivors that have high tier gear and are at the level that they are at first instantly classified as a threat. As soon as you spot a player and use this method, you must secure a good distance between you and the player but one where you can easily keep an eye on them. You must be able to navigate without drawing zombie attention or the persons attention, which can be hard in urbanized or dense areas. There is no set time you should watch them before approach, but you want to get a feel for how they play. After using this method like I have for a while, you will find that even watching them loot can be a good tip on how they will deal with encountering you. Here are some things to watch out for:

-Ignoring of loot. This can mean that they are out less for looting and more for combat. This accompanied with combing an area, not moving in one direction to determine set travel, can hint that this player is out for blood.

-Firearm or weapon drawn and ready.

-Full camo-clothing.

As you use this method more often, you will find more ways of noticing if the player is hostile or not. If you determine the player is hostile, you should either extend your monitoring of the player to get a final judgment, or leave them. Remember, don't be to frantic to meet other players, it will get you killed. If you determine the player is friendly, find the best method to approach from a distance. Do not encounter them around a sharp corner or in close range. Preferably get in their field of view from down a street, across an airfield, etc, and 'q' 'e', which is the universal symbol of friendly play-style. If they respond, wait for them to run towards you, do not go towards them. If they shoot you, so be it. If they come over and begin speaking, then mission accomplished.

Method 2: The Aggressive Response

This is my least favorite method but is usable if you are in the city. Get in talking distance and call that you are friendly and tell them to holster their weapons. Use a tone of voice that demands authority so they feel that you are armed. They will either respond with hostility or with cooperation, which is mission accomplished.

This guide was mainly for method 1 but if people want me to list out more methods I will. All in all, you dev's are doing a great job. We fully back you guys up!

I don't think the OP is saying that a KoSer will ALWAYS have their gun out and be dressed in full camo, or that every person that does IS a KoSer, just that these things are signs of a POSSIBLE KoSer. But you have to admit, it does seem to be a bit of a trend, bordering on stereotype.

I don't think the OP is saying that a KoSer will ALWAYS have their gun out and be dressed in full camo, or that every person that does IS a KoSer, just that these things are signs of a POSSIBLE KoSer. But you have to admit, it does seem to be a bit of a trend, bordering on stereotype.

Stereotype bout sums it up. I should have taken more into account that KOS'ers are not always fully kitted but can be fresh spawns with chopping axes. They are just more unpredictable unlike kitted players that I have had to deal with in the past.

Since 80% of the players seem to be PvP and/or KoS, I think you are an idiot for not having your weapon ready to defend yourself when entering certain areas.  That shouldn't be indicative that you are hostile.  Camo gear shouldn't matter either.  Players are the biggest threat in the game.  So wearing clothes to match your environment in order to better blend in is also smart, it doesnt make you a hostile.  Additionally, higher end gear gives you better storage.

Any player you see or meet is a potential threat and every encounter should be handled with caution.       

• Like 2

I still wonder if they're going to add ghillie suits like they had in the mod; things will be ridiculous then. Of course, if they also add night and thermal vision, that will help offset it, and also make it crazier at the same time. :P