rickyriot

Is it about time the devs looked at client side optimisation?

Client side optimisation  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should some dedicated resource be put into improving the performance of DayZ?

• Yes, we've waited long enough and there is now enough staff to dedicate some time into this.
    • No, it'll come soon enough it's important to focus on other things.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but that is just simply not true.

Well just did a test in Elektro, using FRAPS I get between 28-38FPS and my eyes perceive that as very very smooth(full settings, on a full server 30+ players)....I get the same smoothness allover the map as far as my eyes can see(have not tested but I know it runs sometimes even better than in elektro). In rural areas I take an educated guess that Im up in the 60's. What kind of system do you have? Must be really crappy, I can only imagine what the new intel 'devils canyon' could give me B). At it's current state Dayz SA runs better than Arma 3 on my system :D .

So yes, Im very satisfied with the performance Im getting...And I haven't even overclocked my chip, I only removed the 'turbo boost' and disabled hyper threading, so Im running at 3.5Ghz. My CPU is a

i7 3770K, wich I consider a chip that already belongs to a museum. And the chugs I get very rarely isn't even dangerous in a firefight because they are very subtle...

Edited by Kaboki

Thats simply a question we cannot answer, so this poll is useless. We have no insight in the dev process, 

so assuming you know whats right to do is arrogant imo. OFC you can  tell what you would like to see next.

That the game runs like shit is semi true, on some servers i get buttersmooth FPS, but special cities always

drop under 20. Theres a big need for optimization, but with Infusion, things will change alot. 

Edited by en1mal

They are debugging as they go and adding new items will throw off the optimization so this is why they wait for all the items to be introduced in to the game..

And for a alpha it runs and play pretty dam good..

Meh, it's alpha. I am more concerned with persistent storage, proper zombies with their new AI, vehicles, etc being implemented first. It it disappointing that I get FPS drops on a GTX780? Yes. Enough to make me want to stop playing? No.

I get it though, it definitely sucks, but they (the Dev team) have to pick & choose what they want to devote their time & efforts into. So if they wanted to fix performance, that means they lose people and time from another area.

The problem is that you have an elitist few who are able to test all this "added" content, the rest of us deserve a little bit of a performance boost after 6 months.

What are you talking about? I game on a Core 2 Quad Q9650 and DayZ runs fine 50fps in the woods, 30fps in towns. Turn your object detail down.

Either way, game development simply doesn't work like that. So your question is pointless, in the Alpha stage they add content, in the Beta stage they bug fix and optimize. This is how it works on every other game, and this is how its going to work on DayZ.

If you can't run DayZ right now, then oh well, you still have the full release that you pre-ordered to look forward to. You just can't mess around with the crappy little alpha they gave you for free along with it, maybe when Beta rolls around your rig will be able to handle it.

Meh, it's alpha. I am more concerned with persistent storage, proper zombies with their new AI, vehicles, etc being implemented first. It it disappointing that I get FPS drops on a GTX780? Yes. Enough to make me want to stop playing? No.

I get it though, it definitely sucks, but they (the Dev team) have to pick & choose what they want to devote their time & efforts into. So if they wanted to fix performance, that means they lose people and time from another area.

Its not even that simple, they have to add the majority of the content before they start working on performance otherwise new content could bork whatever performance gains they make. They aren't picking and choosing, they're following the same process every other game goes through.