duddbudda

Ghillie suits as a reward for survival

Ghillies are a valuable tool in DayZ, as they are in live combat

To be clear:

this is a suggestion to emulate the long period of time required to fashion and mature a ghillie irl

it has the effect of rewarding a player who is able to survive for a decent peroid (perhaps a week)

Suggestion: ghillies cannot be found

instead, ghillies are accumulated

- when camo is found, the player may right click it and select a 'prepare ghillie' option

- the gestating suit takes up two inventory slots

- once a certain period is complete, the ghillie becomes availible for use as normal

'certain period'?

- x days on the count?

- y hours in game?

- z amount of time spent in forest?

etc

irl the ghillie's manufacturor would have to spend time collecting local vegetation and weaving it into his suit

anything resembling this mechanic would smack of a fetch quest ('gather two [2] orange shrubs...') and that doesn't appeal to me

having said that, Rocket has commented that irl skills should improve player's ability in game - so maybe gathering and weaving and the patience required would be important

you still need to survive a certain set of time before encountering a ghillie suit, the suit is still considered rare

Why are people so keen on implementing COD/BF3 style upgrading into this game. I think it is a horrible idea. However I do think they should be much rarer because I keep seeing everyone and their mother running around in ghillie and camo suits.

...I keep seeing everyone and their mother running around in ghillie and camo suits.

They can't be very good then, those suits.

Oh, topic:

I must say I prefer having a chance to find stuff, but i wouldn't get all upset I your suggestion got through. I'm on the 'meh'-fence.

I keep seeing everyone and their mother running around in ghillie and camo suits.

Any MILF's?

So after surviving for this set period of time, does the ghillie suit just decent from the heavens above? Or maybe your character just dashes into the nearest phone booth and emerges as Ghillieman? Or heck, long as it's been established that we're just tossing realism out the window with this idea, maybe we can have Gandolf come and give it to us, but only if we first defeat Megatron to save Ponyville from his reign of terror. Hell, we might as well throw Skeletor and Goku in there somewhere.

So after surviving for this set period of time' date=' does the ghillie suit just decent from the heavens above? Or maybe your character just dashes into the nearest phone booth and emerges as Ghillieman? Or heck, long as it's been established that we're just tossing realism out the window with this idea, maybe we can have Gandolf come and give it to us, but only if we first defeat Megatron to save Ponyville from his reign of terror. Hell, we might as well throw Skeletor and Goku in there somewhere.

[/quote']

In real life, the people who use ghillie suits usually make it themselves. I think that is what the waiting period is supposed to represent.

That said...

Gandolf?

So after surviving for this set period of time' date=' does the ghillie suit just decent from the heavens above? Or maybe your character just dashes into the nearest phone booth and emerges as Ghillieman? Or heck, long as it's been established that we're just tossing realism out the window with this idea, maybe we can have Gandolf come and give it to us, but only if we first defeat Megatron to save Ponyville from his reign of terror. Hell, we might as well throw Skeletor and Goku in there somewhere.

[/quote']

In real life, the people who use ghillie suits usually make it themselves. I think that is what the waiting period is supposed to represent.

That said...

Gandolf?

Well then the suggestion should be for the option to create a ghillie suit, not for one to just appear in our inventory. Am I supposed to believe that my character's been playing himself when I shut the game down to make it? So yeah, the option to make a ghillie suit, sure. It should be difficult enough as to not trump it's value as a rare spawn, though. Having one just appear after an arbitrary amount of time? No.

And Gandolf is the wizard in the Lord of the Rings saga.

[/quote']

That said...

Gandolf?

Well then the suggestion should be for the option to create a ghillie suit, not for one to just appear in our inventory. Am I supposed to believe that my character's been playing himself when I shut the game down to make it? So yeah, the option to make a ghillie suit, sure. It should be difficult enough as to not trump it's value as a rare spawn, though. Having one just appear after an arbitrary amount of time? No.

And Gandolf is the wizard in the Lord of the Rings saga.

From the OP:

"when camo is found, the player may right click it and select a 'prepare ghillie' option"

Prepare ghillie/make ghillie, no?

Gandolf?

Gandalf!

From the OP:

"when camo is found' date=' the player may right click it and select a 'prepare ghillie' option"

Prepare ghillie/make ghillie, no?

Gandolf?

Gandalf!

[/quote']

Also from the OP:

"once a certain period is complete, the ghillie becomes availible for use as normal"

Again, a way to craft a ghillie suit, fine, but you should be able to just make it; not have some arbitrary timer attached to your character at which point he just magically has one.

And so I missed a single letter from a name from a book I read years ago. Sue me.

Ghillies are a valuable tool in DayZ' date=' as they are in live combat

Suggestion: ghillies cannot be found

instead, ghillies are accumulated

- when camo is found, the player may right click it and select a 'prepare ghillie' option

- the gestating suit takes up two inventory slots

- once a certain period is complete, the ghillie becomes availible for use as normal

'certain period'?

- x days on the count?

- y hours in game?

- z amount of time spent in forest?

etc

[/quote']

Can't say I'm a fan. Gillie suits aren't that hard to come by, just search lots of residential buildings.

I love how this thread quickly spiraled from the suit, to Gandalf's spelling.

Anyway, I think they're fine as is. If people are running around with them, it's cause they were lucky, or have been alive awhile. My mate and I were goin for about 2 weeks and we only found one. Mind, we didn't go to the Airfield or Starry that often, but those are risky places.

the OP has been update to make it clear that this is a crafting process that takes a long period of time (unlike everything else crafted in any game ever [except Salem]) and absolutely has nothing to do with BF3 you fucking retarded little imps

Can't say I'm a fan. Gillie suits aren't that hard to come by' date=' just search lots of residential buildings.

[/quote']

that's why I'm suggesting it

ghillie suits should be the highest level of camo in the game, but as things stand they're a dime a dozen

hopefully this process would facillitate player-character bonds

you should have to find and sit on a ghillie egg and wait for it to hatch, in order to represent collecting foliage to attach to the suit

the OP has been update to make it clear that this is a crafting process that takes a long period of time (unlike everything else crafted in any game ever [except Salem]) and absolutely has nothing to do with BF3 you fucking retarded little imps

One guy makes a comparison to BF3 and now we are all "fucking retarded little imps".

You are quite the charmer aren't you? Consider me swept off my feet.

honestly max I don't give a fuck about charming you or any of the other 'people' on these forums apotheosising safe zones and paddles to revive dead players with a sharp spank and removal of all the dangerous things

honestly max I don't give a fuck about charming you or any of the other 'people' on these forums apotheosising safe zones and paddles to revive dead players with a sharp spank and removal of all the dangerous things

And just when exactly did I do that?

maybe max, maybe I wasn't talking to you

maybe I saw the BF3 crap, WTS failing to read the OP, thought 'how typical' and decided to vent the frustration