Sign in to follow this  
fabry20

360/One controller not recognized in game

Hi everyone.

I just bought DayZ standalone.

Since i play most of my PC games on my tv, i was assured that controllers DO work in the game.

However, once installed, i can't get neither the X360 nor the Xbox One controller to show up in the DEVICES section of the menu.

Simply nothing shows up.

inb4 controllers put you at a disadvantage, use mouse instead [No]

inb4 use Xpadder [No, it's pretty bad, at least for aiming]

inb4 use Pinnacle [same, and the available profile sucks ass]

inb4 DayZ is a PC game, controllers should be avoided 

The thing is while an xbox controller should work (not that i've tried it) in DayZ, and this is due to it's roots in Arma, simply cannot be played properly with a controller. I'm not saying this because I think PC games should only be used with a Keyboard and mouse (in some circumstances a wheel or joystick are much better options) but simply because this is a game that even a Keyboard and mouse has trouble with having enough buttons. While most modern shooters (not saying DayZ is a FPS, just a comparison) are originally designed to be run on the console and are then ported and thus use a lower number of buttons and functions Arma and DayZ continue to buck the trend by giving you options a console gamer could only wish for but this comes at a cost. There are only so many combos a controller can do before it becomes a major hassle to use and makes a game almost unplayabe, keyboards have a higher button count and thus Arma (and DayZ) is a PC game. Though even Keyboards struggle to keep up with the number of options as shown by the sheer size of the controll options and even with all these options key modifiers (Shift, Ctrl, Alt ect) are used often.

The only reason I feel for having something other than a mouse and keyboard hooked up to this game is for driving and flying, and lots of people run a setup like that. Why should the Devs have to modify an already buggy game to work with a control system which it was never designed for and is horribly in-adequate for the needs of the engine and gameplay? Sure in beta this could be a concern but overall this (and Arma) isn't a game you play with a 360 remote. It is a game that should have been developed for SAO style VR (Sword Art Online, look it up if you don't know what it is) and a keyboard is the closest we can get to that so far without Occulus rift and various other experimental technologies.

This shouldn't be a concern at the moment and most likely will never be a proper consideration in development. Frankly your best options are probably to run a Keyboard and mouse or a Keyboard emulator like Xpadder but you seem to shy away from this.

I don't really know how to fix your problem but I feel that I can explain why this game is how it is in regards to that technology. I'm sorry if this doesn't help you too much but i felt it needed to be out there.

Edited by Dchil
  • Like 2

Hmmm strange arma 2 arma 3 and dayz all had xbox360 controller support but it seems since last update it no longer recognizes a controller(well atleast not a 360 wireless one).

I would upvote the bug i put on the tracker as it is a bug as game is listed as partial controller support(360 controller) its actually very easy to play this game via a controller for me i always found the best result was to use the games own inbuilt profile for it and then adding the other functions onto it via xpadder( made moving around so much smoother the transition form walk run sprint being merely push further on the thumb stick much smoother and more practical than hiting shift and doubleW.

It seems the mouse acceleration has been changed but for a long time with the totally fucked negative acceleration Dayz had it was actually easier to aim with a controller than a mouse ( doesnt seem that way anymore though )

Yes i play dayz with a controller why because i play in my lounge sitting my old ass in my leather recliner chair kick back relax and watch it up on a 75 inch samsung 3d 200 htz tv, also once vehicles come in the controller makes piloting a chopper driving a car way better than keyboard and mouse and anyone trying to say other wise would be an idiot.(seriously for infantry controller K@M is better but for vehicles the controller is vastly better) I was always willing to loose the small amount in infantry fighting as it is generally CQB fights where you suffer with the lack of aiming speed a mouse has but then as most of my engagements are at distance via stealth it never troubled me much lol.

EDIT damn checking the steam page again they have now removed the partial controller support seems it has been intentional back to K@B for me then damn it all going to hate when they put helicopters and cars in 8(...

Edited by SoulFirez

After the last up date my xbox 360 con stoped working i do not know if they are fixing the controls or if it is just broken in the game i downloaded xpadder that was €12.00 you can set the controls.  it works but it feels like there is a delay and the dead zone is to big or you can try Pinnacle game Profile that was free not as good as xpadder 

Edited by Boxer23