Loopest

Make Food & Weapons Extremely Rare

With the recent hunting and cooking feature is DayZ, I thin it's about time that food becomes very scarce. I mean less than 20-30 food items in large cities like Berezino or Novodimitrigorsk

Also, make guns very, very rare. Make them very rare in police stations. This means 1 in 4 serves will have a gun in the police station. 

At airfields, try to spawn ammo, but also make a maximum of 4 guns spawn at Balota airfield. Try to make mostly backpacks and ammo spawn there. 

I don't know how many of you played the vanilla version of the mod, but even in barracks good guns were hard to come by. 

• Like 5

I don't think they should make cans less common until hunting is a bit easier.

Because currently you need stones, sticks, rags, a pickaxe, an axe a backpack to carry all your necessities, a knife, matches, a gun or a bow and to find an animal.

It takes ridiculously long to gather all that stuff by yourself and there's every chance you won't find even half of it after hours of searching so until they make everything required for hunting spawn a lot more commonly making food scarce would make it ridiculously hard. Since between looking for all that you're also going to get shot at by like pretty much everyone who sees you.

I don't think they should make cans scarce until we have bases with persistent storage so that we can keep a supply of campfire materials and such. Right now hunting is just an interesting activity it's not so much a viable survival option. Fishing is just as hard too since you need almost all of the above plus rope and a fishing hook which not only are rare but are hard to even see.

I agree with the idea, but not for right now.

EDIT forgot to mention guns, yeah way less rare except the sporter 22 keep shit like that relatively common and maybe Mosin's but damaged ones so it's not one hit kills and perfect accuracy.

Edited by UltimateGentleman

I know that it will be in the final version of the game. Now loot is just for testing.

Edited by Zyryanoff

that's a good Idea. There will be less KOS when ammo and guns are more rare.

Exactly. We should get this pinned so we can get the dev's attention.

I don't think they should make cans less common until hunting is a bit easier.

Because currently you need stones, sticks, rags, a pickaxe, an axe a backpack to carry all your necessities, a knife, matches, a gun or a bow and to find an animal.

It takes ridiculously long to gather all that stuff by yourself and there's every chance you won't find even half of it after hours of searching so until they make everything required for hunting spawn a lot more commonly making food scarce would make it ridiculously hard. Since between looking for all that you're also going to get shot at by like pretty much everyone who sees you.

I don't think they should make cans scarce until we have bases with persistent storage so that we can keep a supply of campfire materials and such. Right now hunting is just an interesting activity it's not so much a viable survival option. Fishing is just as hard too since you need almost all of the above plus rope and a fishing hook which not only are rare but are hard to even see.

I agree with the idea, but not for right now.

EDIT forgot to mention guns, yeah way less rare except the sporter 22 keep shit like that relatively common and maybe Mosin's but damaged ones so it's not one hit kills and perfect accuracy.

That's how hunting (mostly) is IRL.

EDIT: I'm confused on whether you support guns being extremely rare...

Edited by Loopest

Lower food spawns to force players into a hunter playstyle, then lower gun spawns so that they can't hunt!

GENIUS!

• Like 1

Lower food spawns to force players into a hunter playstyle, then lower gun spawns so that they can't hunt!

GENIUS!

hand to hand combat ?   <_<

Always remember,

Less guns and more ammuniton will make it worse. Quite "many" guns but very rare ammunition is the way we should take.

That's how hunting (mostly) is IRL.

EDIT: I'm confused on whether you support guns being extremely rare..

Not really it doesn't take that long to find some sticks and rocks to make a fire and where are all the lighters? It's just overly difficult right now you need a group or at least another person or it takes hours just to have a fire ready and gear for hunting.

I support the better guns being rarer but overall mostly just ammo for them being rare instead of in any old house.

hand to hand combat ?   <_<

Hand to hand deer hunting? I'm not entirely sure how that would sit with the realism fans....

Hand to hand deer hunting? I'm not entirely sure how that would sit with the realism fans....

I didnt read the world "realism" or "real" on this topic so .... 

shark-punch.jpg

I didnt read the world "realism" or "real" on this topic so .... 

[snip]

You're right, I didn't either.

Be that as it may, these are the DayZ forums, and it's a suggestion regarding the DayZ game. Within the DayZ community there is quite a large number of people looking for a survival sim as closely based in realism as possible (but with zombies, duh. Zombies for everyone!).

For your sake, I'll reword my statement. Hand to hand deer hunting would seem very out of place in a game where many of the games other mechanics try to simulate realism as closely as possible within the confines of the technology currently being used.

Forums are for discussion, not for one sided gangbanging a topic with positive responses and ignoring anyone who disagrees with the idea.

Edited by zeeabo

For your sake, I'll reword my statement. Hand to hand deer hunting would seem very out of place in a game where many of the games other mechanics try to simulate realism as closely as possible.

It was a joke, sry for waste ur time man  :unsure:

• Like 1

I remember playing such a mod on Namalsk that had hardly any food spawns.

You literally starved, or had to kill bambies because they had a can of beans in their starter kit.

I once ran 5 Km to a place I knew sometimes spawns some beans and when I got there it was empty and I died 5 minutes later of starvation.

Another situation I just spawned in and was attacked by another bambie with his hatchet, I said why I have nothing, he laughed and said "for the beans".  :lol:

Maybe not such a good idea, but maybe there can be food that spawns near the player spawn points or along the coast and gets less the further you go inland. 

You can also collect apples and berries, so that's another option.

One last thing on limited food resources is the problem that those areas will become hot spots for bandits killing bambies and hero's killing bandits and ... well everyone killing everyone ... LOL

Guns should be less, sporter rifles and damaged weapons sounds like a good thing.

• Like 1

It was a joke, sry for waste ur time man  :unsure:

Haha fair enough, *whoosh* straight over my head.

I did laugh at the pic though.. Is that meant to be Popeye in HD? :P

Haha fair enough, *whoosh* straight over my head.

I did laugh at the pic though.. Is that meant to be Popeye in HD? :P

maybe ?  I really have no idea and please dont ask why is punching a shark 

that's a good Idea. There will be less KOS when ammo and guns are more rare.

I doubt it, lots of mods tried making ammo rare and people shot each other even more for the chance of getting a good weapon.

Edited by lootable

If they do that they will see " Extremely Rare" players in this game. If you cant handle PVP just dont contact with any people and play game like pussy with brainless ZOMBIES.. :thumbsup:

Edited by BayZ

Exactly. We should get this pinned so we can get the dev's attention.

I doubt it, this idea has been posted a million times but the fact it the only thing that keeps the game running for most people is killing and torturing, zombies need to be threats and people will fight those instead of murdering at the coast as it has been for years.

• Like 1

make the mosin and lrs  so rare as the AKM  - that will stop the sniping on all places ^^  i hope the westside will become never spawnpoints. which holds half of the card children free

Actually, I believe making guns and/or ammo rare will turn anybody into a KoS bandit as soon as they get their hands on one.

The more time you spend gathering guns/ammo, the less time people will think about risking them for the word "friendly" ...

But maybe, before we talk about spawn rates, lets have respawning loot.

As long as servers reboot every X hours, looting is "all or nothing". You loot way more efficient when (as a decent geared player) going like "open door? nothing to loot here! next!"

Currently, when you find one can of food, you will find 20 others.

• Like 3

I feel like food is good how it is, but still feel that guns are very common like in the mod. If they cut the amount of guns in half, the amount of KOS would drop like a fly and a swatter.

i have only 2 canned food and one waterbottle in my inventory for a emergency situation.  the rest you find more then you need overall in the map. never i died because of food or water in more than 200h now

damaged or badly damaged food have only 10-20 % for food inside   i think its a good idea

problems with survive ? not in this game state

Edited by Crusader78

I believe that guns should be plentiful, the ammo rare.

If guns were no longer in production, there would still be billions of them, Ammo however would become a dwindling resource.

If ANYTHING, make casings more common than live ammo.

Then make ammo a craftable item, with the resources being somewhat common, but heavy and cumbersome.

If you wanted to gather that resource, lets say it could either a) takes up a disproportionate amount of storage slots OR if weight comes into play is heavy enough that you cant carry much else other than some basic gear. OR, it could be in small enough quantities (lead and sulpher) that you would only be able to make a few rounds at a time.

In an apocalyptic scenario you wouldn't ever need to make guns, you would eventually need to make ammo.